Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation Parts Catcher is waiting on FIN signal (wont actuate) on Fanuc 18i-TB

We just got a 2006 Hyundai-Kia SKT210SY which is a Live Tool Y-Axis lathe with Sub-Spindle and Parts Catcher. The control is a Fanuc 18i-TB

The machine is great except that we cant get the parts catcher to work.

The M Codes are M73 (on) & M74 (off).

If I manually actuate the air solenoid and then command M74, it goes down just fine.

BUT, when I command M73, it says "Waiting on FIN signal" and it doesn't activate the relay or do anything else for that matter.

Weve check literally everything. The solenoid is good, the wires are good, at this point we think its a parameter or an interlock in the control that is not allowing the M code to be executed.

At first we were thinking that maybe one of the parameters isn't right but now we are stumped.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated

-Geoff Warner

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you getting the MFIN alarm even though the parts catcher is moving into position or is the parts catcher not even moving into position? If it's moving into position and then alarming out there must be a position sensor that is not picking up the fact that the parts catcher has extended. Hopefully that's all. If it's not even moving upon M73 I would check the output going to the solenoid to make sure you get 0V. If you're getting nothing then you probably need to figure out how the outputs are mapped to the Mcodes and make sure, but if M74 pulls it back I'd bet M73 would push it forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have a couple of 18iTB machines with parts catchers in different configurations. Some of the things I've run across:

Does your sub spindle have to be in home position when you issue your M73?

Does your X have to be in home position?

Are the sensors seeing the parts catcher closed and open?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We got it figured out.. apparently the sub spindle (b axis) has a "floating" 2nd home position that it has to be at before the parts catcher will open. Its set via a G30.

This is my first FANUC control and I HATE IT!!! Now I know why people buy Haas!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by geoffw View Post
    We got it figured out.. apparently the sub spindle (b axis) has a "floating" 2nd home position that it has to be at before the parts catcher will open. Its set via a G30.

This is my first FANUC control and I HATE IT!!! Now I know why people buy Haas!
    Why? The behavior of the parts catcher is totally set by the machine builder. Fanuc doesn't know or care that it has a catcher.