What's new
What's new

Paws coolant block for Brother machines

Since that mounts on and rides with the head as you change different tools and tool lengths lots of time this would be missing the mark wouldn't it? The coolant pipes that are on my machine are fixed so do a pretty good job hitting the location of the cut most of the time.

Since that mounts on and rides with the head as you change different tools and tool lengths lots of time this would be missing the mark wouldn't it? The coolant pipes that are on my machine are fixed so do a pretty good job hitting the location of the cut most of the time.

Most coolant systems ride with the spindle head. Brother is unique in having coolant nozzles fixed in Z.

If you think about the primary application for these machines (i.e. being purchased to do a very specific job in high-volume production), it makes sense to have nozzles that track the part and not move with the spindle.

Adapting the Brother to a more job-shop type application however, where you will be throwing different jobs in the thing regularly, you could be in a situation where you'll be futzing with coolant lines a lot more. Or if you have a progressive fixture setup where you may have parts on wildly different Z heights (say - cutting a dovetail in raw stock for an Op0, and moving it to a 4th axis nose for the main machining, all in the same cycle). For some folks, a more traditional coolant setup like the PAWS may be more appropriate.

Perhaps the best solution is to split the baby. The PAWS uses both coolant lines - it would be neat if they halved the nozzles on that block and only used one coolant line, while the other line could keep feeding the factory Brother nozzle location. Best of both worlds!

Nice point. It depends what type of operation.
For deep hole drilling (G83) it worked for me better to hit the tool always in the same point, to remove swarf.
But maybe just for milling the fixed Z nozzles will work better.
Of course, you can solve it with TSC, but it's something I'm not ready to justify.

I agree with Greg. When you have different Z heights for the work that you need to hit, having the coolant nozzles on the spindle head really helps. I have made my own similar set up with a relatively inexpensive manifold block from McMaster. The standard coolant lines on the Brother work well if your work is all close to the same height. With the block you will need to aim different nozzles at the different lengths of tools you may have. The standard nozzles can help too if you need to get coolant to the far side of say a rotary fixture ..... The standard coolant lines work well for most applications and it is pretty simple to add a block to the spindle if necessary.

Maybe having both?

I would like to add a compressed air nozzle to my machine. In this case it seems it would be best to put near the spindle to get it close to the cutter.

We have one on ours. Not sure if it's worth the hefty price they want for it, but I like it. As far as coolant splashing the window, well that just comes with running a mill.

As far as coolant splashing the window, well that just comes with running a mill.

I guess I'm spoiled with the programable coolant nozzle from Haas. It's on the right of the spindle, and you can still see what is going on (sometimes).

Well, that happens pretty much all the time with my Speedio S700X1 using the as-supplied coolant plumbing, just because of the prodigious flow of the coolant pump.

Regards.

Mike

Sorry, are you being sarcastic, or being serious about the prodigious flow?

I was with Yamazen this past Monday, but I wasn't able to feel the flow or pressure of the coolant (door must to be closed :ack2:).

The coolant pump seemed a few small to me. With the small nozzles I was hoping to get more pressure or better flow.

Regards,

Ricardo

Sorry, are you being sarcastic, or being serious about the prodigious flow?

I was with Yamazen this past Monday, but I wasn't able to feel the flow or pressure of the coolant (door must to be closed :ack2:).

The coolant pump seemed a few small to me. With the small nozzles I was hoping to get more pressure or better flow.

Regards,

Ricardo

I'm quite serious. Don't know what's wrong with the one you were watching, but mine is a firehose. Are you sure the Yamazen guys didn't have the valves partly closed, to facilitate a demo?

Regards.

Mike

I'm quite serious. Don't know what's wrong with the one you were watching, but mine is a firehose. Are you sure the Yamazen guys didn't have the valves partly closed, to facilitate a demo?
Yeah, these Brother coolant pumps are seriously bad ass, quiet, lots of flow even with two 1/2" loclines wide open.

For the record, the Brother optional air blast manifold bolts to the very same place where these greedy bastards want to mount their gold plated coolant nozzle manifold. (2 grand? Really guys?)

Also for the record, we've been having really good luck with these nozzles, but we make small stuff so coolant aiming issues are not as big a deal generally.:
McMaster-Carr

Fast Brother R65� - YouTube

About $2,000...

I was looking to make one from a block of plastic. McMaster-Carr has the same coolant nozzles.

- $50 for a block of 6061
- $100 for 8 nozzles from McMaster, with Extensions
- $10 for an L shaped threaded hose barb.

And I am sure the $1800 I save will cover a few hours to measure, CAD, CAM and cut this block.

You know, $1000 for a finished, working, certified solution I could live with, but the $2000 price is simply absurd.

- $50 for a block of 6061
- $100 for 8 nozzles from McMaster, with Extensions
- $10 for an L shaped threaded hose barb.

And I am sure the $1800 I save will cover a few hours to measure, CAD, CAM and cut this block.

You know, $1000 for a finished, working, certified solution I could live with, but the $2000 price is simply absurd.

We had one quoted, and came to the same conclusion. Nice but WAY overpriced IMO.

Regards.

Mike

Probably nothing, and maybe was just my impression. It called my attention the reduced size of the pumps, but also the huge size of the coolant hoses.

I was impressed watching videos of these machines, but in person they impress even more. The demo was fantastic and the Yamazen guys were again over the top! Really excited about my first Brother!

It called my attention the reduced size of the pumps, but also the huge size of the coolant hoses.
You'll quickly find that you can't go by the physical size of anything on these Brothers. Everybody calls me a liar when I tell them the entire machine is on a 30A breaker. The Royal mist collector on the Haas is on a 20A all by itself!

My S700 has more coolant flow than my haas and Okuma together . When we got the Okuma 560 we thought something was wrong with the coolant. The pump is about 2/3 of the rating or something like that. Certainly going to upgrade the okuma.

The 2 brother hoses seem to be set it and forget it. If we bump them in setup or part swap is about the only time.

WE have TSC and Chip wash. The chip wash is certainly very nice to have.

Back