What's new
What's new

Performance from CAT 40 angle head? What should i expect?

mmurray70

Stainless
Im considering buying an angle head for a job and wondering what kind of a cut I should be expecting to be able to take with it and most importantly what kind of finish I should expect. This batch of parts are only delrin but I need to machine an O-ring sealing bore 1.25" deep and this will require a good finish.

My only previous experiance with an angle head was at the last shop I worked at several years ago. They used a long, probably 12 inch, slim centerline angle head and it was a disaster. That thing wouldnt cut butter. Chattered like crazy as soon as tool hit the work even with like 5 thou cuts. Bearings went in it part way through the job, it was a mess.

I just stared looking recently so open to suggestions. Im thinking of going with something along the lines of this: GS GFX16 ER 25 Fixed 9o Right Angle Heads - Penn Tool Co., Inc

Last edited:
Wow, they don't give those away do they.
If you're cutting delrin, I would imagine that would perform just fine for ya.

That actually looks like pretty decent pricing compared to what Im being quoted up here in canuckistan.
You might want to look at the 8000rpm version though, especially if working in delrin.
Was quoted 15K for something similar up here.

I have used almost the same thing you linked with a long 1/2 2 flute and cut aluminum extrusions in a old 4020 sized mill. It worked quite well so I assume plastic would be that much better.

I have used almost the same thing you linked with a long 1/2 2 flute and cut aluminum extrusions in a old 4020 sized mill. It worked quite well so I assume plastic would be that much better.

What kind of speeds/feeds/DOC can you get with it? This job is delrin but buying it for the long term, want to be sure it works well in aluminum at least and hopefully usable in steel/stainless.

They say max axial load is 510N, thats only 114 lbs?! You will probably exceed that with a 1/4 inch drill in steel. Are they really this bad?

Its been a few years so I can't remember the parameters but it definitely was not rigid at all. We were basically opening up and connecting existing slots in the end of a long extrusion. It was very noisy and chattered during the rough but with a low rpm and light engagement we got a nice finish on the final pass.

There will be a learning curve to it no doubt.

Its basically a rigidity question. You'd probably never expect a boring bar to behave on a lathe when hanging way the hell out.

IMO, those heads are only good for drilling small holes in metal. This is even dicey because it's pulling on your spindle drawbar (and it wants to come out), and some machines don't have that much retention force. Nothing like an old CAT40 with a solid bolt for a drawbar. :D

Its basically a rigidity question. You'd probably never expect a boring bar to behave on a lathe when hanging way the hell out.

IMO, those heads are only good for drilling small holes in metal. This is even dicey because it's pulling on your spindle drawbar (and it wants to come out), and some machines don't have that much retention force. Nothing like an old CAT40 with a solid bolt for a drawbar. :D

I think your right. I cant believe that thing is only rated for 114 lbs, I can push harder then that on a cordless drill with my bare hands.

So I went ahead and bought an angle head today. But went with something a little different. Considering the crazy prices of these cnc angle heads, and questionable rigidity, I gonna try going with an old school right angle head for a bridgeport. See attached pic.

Plan is to remove the upper clamping section, put a cat 40 holder on the shaft to drive the unit, and remake the upper half to clamp on the nose of the spindle of my Fadal, the same way the origional clamps to the quill of a bridgeport. I think it will be much more rigid then a typical cnc angle head. Only downside is this appears to be an import, bearings could be questionable. Only rated for 2000 rpm and who knows what kind of finish ill get. But im gonna give it a try. I got it for next to nothing so if it doesnt work out its not the end of the world, and if it does then I saved myself a ton of money and probably will get a more rigid setup. Ill post back if it works out. Might be a little while.

Attachments

• Milling-Machine-Accessory-Right-Angle-Attachment-R8.jpg
    Milling-Machine-Accessory-Right-Angle-Attachment-R8.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 154
I think your right. I cant believe that thing is only rated for 114 lbs, I can push harder then that on a cordless drill with my bare hands.

So I went ahead and bought an angle head today. But went with something a little different. Considering the crazy prices of these cnc angle heads, and questionable rigidity, I gonna try going with an old school right angle head for a bridgeport. See attached pic.

Plan is to remove the upper clamping section, put a cat 40 holder on the shaft to drive the unit, and remake the upper half to clamp on the nose of the spindle of my Fadal, the same way the origional clamps to the quill of a bridgeport. I think it will be much more rigid then a typical cnc angle head. Only downside is this appears to be an import, bearings could be questionable. Only rated for 2000 rpm and who knows what kind of finish ill get. But im gonna give it a try. I got it for next to nothing so if it doesnt work out its not the end of the world, and if it does then I saved myself a ton of money and probably will get a more rigid setup. Ill post back if it works out. Might be a little while.

That should work. I did a similar thing with a Volstro angle head by bolting the housing for it to the face of the spindle on my Haas VF3. I was doing some spiral grooving with small dovetail cutters and it worked ok. Plumb wore the gears out though :D

Back