What's new
What's new

The Person Who Designed This....

TwoWheeler

Aluminum
…..needs to be sentenced to having to run it, for a couple of weeks. I wonder how many times of them smashing their knuckles -or having to move the damned X axis every time they wanted to crank the knee up or down - before they realized it was a STUPID idea? :mad5:

Photo 1.jpg

Sorry, I had to chuckle a little when I saw that picture, since it it isn't my knuckles that are bleeding.:) Not only the guy that designed it but, all people along the way that approved the design.

Now, I am not going to say anything about the person who bought it because, I don't know how far Up or Drown that chain you are!;)

…..needs to be sentenced to having to run it, for a couple of weeks. I wonder how many times of them smashing their knuckles -or having to move the damned X axis every time they wanted to crank the knee up or down - before they realized it was a STUPID idea? :mad5:

View attachment 311971

WoW ! You doo have some issues eh ?

You could look at removing that connector, and putting a new one on the left side of the motor's connection box....

I think the electrical conduit could be modified to clear. The other handwheel looks like its close but clear.
Can the drive motor be unbolted and rotated so the conduit is turned downward to the bottom.

The drill adaptor would work.
Edit
I must have been following DD's thoughts

Flame away - the machine was purchased just before I got here. :D
If you can find another photo of that machine model you may see that someone mounted that drive motor clocked wrong. I dont think they would design with that conduit in that position.

Is that an 8" Kurt on there?

It is - the only part of the purchase my now-retired boss got right. ;) (He was super, super smart and a peach of a human being, but dammit, he was CHEAP...even when it wasn't his money).

If you can find another photo of that machine model you may see that someone mounted that drive motor clocked wrong. I dont think they would design with that conduit in that position.

Holy hell! :eek:I think you're right! Turning the motor 90 degrees would be a step in the right direction!

TYVM!

View attachment 311971

My bet is they were informed they were about to be laid off while in the process of designing it so they made some "enhancements".

The extended knee drive would help in both axes, but flipping the x motor to the other side of the belt housing would really get it out of the way.

Minor motor mount machining and reprogramming necessary, of course.

No, apparently, it was deliberate. If you turn the conduit 90 or even 180, bad, bad stuff can happen when it hits the knee at max X travel:

Photo 1.jpg

CRAP!

To me it looks like the cnc part was added, I don't think it was originally like that. I would go with the drill adapter route if I was cheap, and if I had the money I would just order a z axis powerfeed w/ rapid. Can also just make a new handle with an extension.

To me it looks like the cnc part was added, I don't think it was originally like that.

It's a retrofitted Bridgeport, but most of them have the motor sticking out the other way, like our other machine (and the V2XT I used to run). Yeah, the motor sticking out is a bit of a nuisance, but not the headache the other one is.Photo 1.jpg

Even without the knee crank issue, it's a PITA to work around when you need to lean in to see something, take a measurement, hang something off the front edge of the table....

The extended knee drive would help in both axes, but flipping the x motor to the other side of the belt housing would really get it out of the way.

Minor motor mount machining and reprogramming necessary, of course.

That would involve actual "work" and maybe even some "machining"....Not spending time
posting a whine fest with pictures.

Op would have had that motor off, and your suggestion done by now.

If you whack your knuckles the first time you use the machine, blame the designer/manufacturer.

Second time,third time etc etc it's on you.:D

Back