What's new
What's new

PG error, Matsuura MC-760VX, Yasnac MX3, what is a PG?

Cooperstock

Aluminum
Hello,
I am working on setting up a Matsuura MC-760VX I purchased from an estate auction. I was told it was running when the owner passed (was in the middle of a contract).

I have 3 phase running to it (the same phase converter it was run on previously), When I power it up (pushing on once) it gives me five alarms
363: PG ERROR (Z)
362: PG ERROR (Y)
361: PG ERROR (X)
357: OL (OTHER)
333: FUSE(Z)

Question 1: What does 'PG' stand for? I am not actually clear what is giving the error.

I am unable to identify what alarm 357 is, it does not show up in the Matsuura manual or the MX3 manual.

When I push the on button the second time, nothing energizes. I checked the phase rotation and it appears to be correct. I checked the 24V power supply and a couple of the AC voltage transformers.

The contactor that powers the axis drives is not energizing, I am assuming this is an interlock driven decision. I believe its label is SVM although I haven't found it in the schematics yet.

I haven't yet tried swapping a phase to see if that is an issue. I am not even sure if the machine has any phase detection circuitry.

It throws the same errors whether or not I have air pressure to the machine.

Previously I have repaired the spindle chiller, that was throwing a general interlock error so I had to track that down (broken thermocouple wire).
Any suggestions would be helpful.
my plan is to start stepping through the schematic to figure out where power flow is 'stopping' and then try to identify what is causing the stop.

I wasn't sure if a PG error on all three axis was a clear indicator for something specific.

Thank you
David

Is there a reason all three axis would be reporting a problem with their pulse generators? Seems odd to me as there is not yet power to the axis controllers

The 357 alarm OL. Is most probably a Thermal Overload. Not uncommon for them to vibrate out during transport. Try finding all the thermal over loads under the contactors and push the reset buttons.

Regards Phil.

The 357 alarm OL. Is most probably a Thermal Overload. Not uncommon for them to vibrate out during transport. Try finding all the thermal over loads under the contactors and push the reset buttons.

Regards Phil.

Thank you, I will look for the buttons, I had been searching for the OL buttons, may even be the protection for the supply that powers the PG's

If you didn't know already Yaskawa.com has a lot of manuals available for free download in PDF form for the MX3 and components.

Hello,
I am working on setting up a Matsuura MC-760VX I purchased from an estate auction. I was told it was running when the owner passed (was in the middle of a contract).

I have 3 phase running to it (the same phase converter it was run on previously), When I power it up (pushing on once) it gives me five alarms
363: PG ERROR (Z)
362: PG ERROR (Y)
361: PG ERROR (X)
357: OL (OTHER)
333: FUSE(Z)

Question 1: What does 'PG' stand for? I am not actually clear what is giving the error.

I am unable to identify what alarm 357 is, it does not show up in the Matsuura manual or the MX3 manual.

When I push the on button the second time, nothing energizes. I checked the phase rotation and it appears to be correct. I checked the 24V power supply and a couple of the AC voltage transformers.

The contactor that powers the axis drives is not energizing, I am assuming this is an interlock driven decision. I believe its label is SVM although I haven't found it in the schematics yet.

I haven't yet tried swapping a phase to see if that is an issue. I am not even sure if the machine has any phase detection circuitry.

It throws the same errors whether or not I have air pressure to the machine.

Previously I have repaired the spindle chiller, that was throwing a general interlock error so I had to track that down (broken thermocouple wire).
Any suggestions would be helpful.
my plan is to start stepping through the schematic to figure out where power flow is 'stopping' and then try to identify what is causing the stop.

I wasn't sure if a PG error on all three axis was a clear indicator for something specific.

Thank you
David

You have a blown fuse that caused the OVL to trip which is causing the x,y,z axis to not move.

Replace the blown fuse that is in the same circuit that the tripped OVL is and you will be operational.

When you see the alarm screen the bottom or earliest alarm is usually the trouble maker and the alarms above it are just side effects.

When you see the alarm screen the bottom or earliest alarm is usually the trouble maker and the alarms above it are just side effects.

That is very good to know, I was approaching from a top down view. I'll go find the fuse and go from there.
Thank you a
lot!

If you didn't know already Yaskawa.com has a lot of manuals available for free download in PDF form for the MX3 and components.

I did not know that, just downloaded them. Thank you!

Your welcome! I had a machine with an MX3 controller that was a lemon. I killed a lot of trees printing out pages of those manuals. The good news was when I finally grew tired of fixing it in a period of a year I got about $5k on Ebay parting the machine out and most of that was all control system parts. So if you didn't pay too much and decide to wave the white flag that is something to think about. Good luck fixing it.

Your welcome! I had a machine with an MX3 controller that was a lemon. I killed a lot of trees printing out pages of those manuals. The good news was when I finally grew tired of fixing it in a period of a year I got about $5k on Ebay parting the machine out and most of that was all control system parts. So if you didn't pay too much and decide to wave the white flag that is something to think about. Good luck fixing it.

Thanks, Yeah, 5k would break me even for what I have in it currently. Ive just started the battle, and it may only be a fuse at this point. so we will see what happens. It would be nice to get it going, it seems like it is close. I'll post back when I have found something or have more questions.
Thanks again for the help and quick responses,
David

Update,
I found the 'fuse' error logic chain, turns out the spindle chiller is on that same interlock loop. The odd part is that even with that loop satisified it errors out. BUT if I wait 5-10 minutes, the errors change to 'servo off' errors, I'll get the specific numbers.
Then if I restart the controller the system starts up correctly.
It is like something needs to warm up. its odd.

I verified the three axis have working limit switches.
I have zeroed the 3 axis using the manual method
I removed all of the tool holders from the machine
and I am now trying to get code uploaded.

Which leads to my next questions.
1. how can I verify I have the proper serial port settings?
there is a DB-9 cable run to the front of the machine. I plugged it into my laptop serial port and set Hyperterminal to the settings listed on a post-it note on the side of the machine: 4800 baud, Parity None, data 7, stop 1, Flow 'soft'. but I don't see how to set the flow control to 'software'. My only options in the Hyperterminal are 'Xon/xoff', hardware or none.
I tried them all but I get the same 'INPUT ERROR!' warning.

Background: I figured out how to set #6219 to 1 so I can write data. I then went to 'PRM' and pressing the 'In' button the screen then flashes 'IN', as soon as I try to send data it gives me the error.
I am not certain where the DB-9 cable goes to. I have yet to trace it all the way back. But it appears to go to a connector on the machine labeled 'Fujik??? Cable Black'. It appears that it has been wired into a serial connection going into the MX3 cabinet. Whatever it is wired to does correspond to the loading code errors.

Any comments on Serial settings for these machines? I don't think the machine has a BTR, I don't see any aftermarket boxes in the MX3 cabinet.

Is there a better program I should be using for sending data to the machine? I am not even certain the hyperterminal will do what I need. I just use it on my Hurco and it works fine.

Thanks again
david

Any chance the machine came with a copy of the parameters in its current state?
If not once you have contact with your laptop, create a copy.
OR
Make a copy by hand.

Making it this far and loosing them would be painful

OR
Make a copy by hand.

Thats a good point, I don't have a copy. I will make it by hand just to make sure I have the information.

That has the smell of a failing power supply.

I'll try to do some more poking around. I did notice the green LEDs on the back of the MX3 unit that are to indicate the +5, +12v, 24V are not on. I did not double check them after the 'warm up' to see if they were then on. its possible it could be that supply giving me grief.

OR
Make a copy by hand.

Just found the parameter list that originally came with the machine! I know it doesn't matter much to anyone else other than me, but since MJK commented on it, I figured i would share my joy :)

Back