What's new
What's new

Phase Converter for CNC

kap pullen

Cast Iron
I've purchased a Fadel on line and would appreciate some opinions on phase converters.

My Bridgeport cnc ran off a phase converter for some years. It was hooked up so the control ran from the two hot legs instead of the generated leg.

The Bridgeport has now been retrofitted with an AHHA control. The Ahha runs on 110 volts so that is not an issue anymore.

I plan on doing the same with the Fadel as far as using the hot legs for the control.
Is there a need to purchase a "CNC" converter?

Small cnc converters are not expensive and I could purchase one and dedicate it to the Fadel.

The cost of true 3 phase from the power company
is prohibative to have installed.

Thanks for your opinions.

Kap Pullen

I have four CNC machines in my shop. Three of them are run off of Phase converters
I bought Phase Perfect digital phase converters. They are not cheap, But they provide cleaner power than teh power company and that is important when repairing fried electronics. There is no phase shift under load as there is with a rotary converter and they are much more efficient, so the cost of operation is lower.
I have two 20hp units and a 10hp unit

Kap,
I have a Fadal 15-XT that is 480 volt. I use a Phase Perfect phase converter and a 480 volt transformer with no problems so far. The phase perfect also runs every other 3ph piece of equipment in my shop which includes another CNC mill.

Mark Hockett
Island Tech Enterprises
http://www.islandtechent.com/

More chip less lip

You can get the single phase transformer for the Fadal and run it from single phase power. I have my 4020 hooked-up like that now. I have also bought a Phase perfect coverter and its runs everything else. I am planning on taking my Fadal back to 3 phase if you would be interested in the single phase transformer.

Thanks,

Scott

The machine is a tool room mill.

I don't know what transformer it has yet as the machine in on the west coast.

The dealer says it is either brand new, or used at a show once.

He claims to have bought it from Fadal as inventory reduction.

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260050110473&rd=1&rd=1

My converter is built from a 10 hp 3 phase motor with a 1 hp motor for starting and running.

Scott, that sounds good. Have to figure if it will work that way.

We were looking at a Haas with the single phase option. The Haas and Fadal dealers are not salesman these days. They are order takers.

I could not get a call returned from either of them.

Thanks for the replys.

Kap

Hi, I'm not new to PM, but first time posting. I have a Brother TC 229 that needs 9 KVA and I'm doing the same thing with single phase 220. Does anyone have experience with North America phase converters? - PL-15 would be the model. (Sorry for not starting a new post, not sure how yet!)

Back