What's new
What's new

Pie jaws questions. Or how do I second op this part

updatedsecurity

Aluminum
Hello.

I have this part that I need to do in 6061. My thought was to do op 1 in a collet chuck and then switch to a jaw chuck and cut pie jaws. I plan to grip on the straight section. The machine is an LB 3000 with a 10 inch chuck. Do you think I will have enough clearance to clear the bigger diameter? Or do you have better ideas on how to hold the second op.Screenshot 2021-06-29 105021.jpg

Pie jaws, wide jaws, or machinable collet pads.

How many do you need to make?

The 0.150" lip on radius probably exceeds the available travel of the chuck. You'll probably need to remove one jaw (or collet pad) and reinstall for every part.

Alternatively, clamp a 3-jaw manual scroll chuck in the power chuck and use that to get more travel. If you do this, wrap your chuck footpedal with stretch wrap so you don't accidentally hit it and release the manual chuck.

It would be hard for us to tell you if your chuck has enough travel to go over that lip. You can go to your chuck now and measure the jaw travel between max open and max close to give you an idea. If you don't have enough travel, I would make a bushing with an ID the same size as the diameter you want to grip on, and an OD larger than the diameter of the lip. Then, cut the bushing in half so you have two sections that you can put around the part, and then clamp on that.

It would be hard for us to tell you if your chuck has enough travel to go over that lip. You can go to your chuck now and measure the jaw travel between max open and max close to give you an idea. If you don't have enough travel, I would make a bushing with an ID the same size as the diameter you want to grip on, and an OD larger than the diameter of the lip. Then, cut the bushing in half so you have two sections that you can put around the part, and then clamp on that.

Ooh. I really like that. The bushing Idea. I have to make 100. Ill measure the chuck as well.

Pie jaws, wide jaws, or machinable collet pads.

How many do you need to make?

The 0.150" lip on radius probably exceeds the available travel of the chuck. You'll probably need to remove one jaw (or collet pad) and reinstall for every part.

Alternatively, clamp a 3-jaw manual scroll chuck in the power chuck and use that to get more travel. If you do this, wrap your chuck footpedal with stretch wrap so you don't accidentally hit it and release the manual chuck.

Put an "M-chuck closed" code in your header.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Forgot about that!
Had a job that we did that on back in the Brownie days.

Had a step on it to locate in Z as well.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back