What's new
What's new

Pinacho Taurus 260 lathe, Fagor 8055 - noob

elbowgrese

Plastic
Hello,

I am switching from a CNC milling machine to a CNC lathe. The lathe is a Pinacho Taurus 260 with Fagor 8055 control. It has 8 tools and no device for tool measurement, two axex(Z and X). It looks old and has no identification plate, probably made befor 2000. The chuck is hidraulic.

I am not too shure how to do the homing at start-up. The milling machine it had a predefined automatic cycle that made the axes move until they hit the limit switches in orher to find the machine zero position.

On this lathe when i start the homing cycle the axes move only about 10mm and then they stop. The machine zero seems to be in te place left the saddle. After this it will let me manually jog until it hits the physical limits of the axes, then it stops the drives and generates an alarm. When i set the machine zero in certain positions the soft limit will trigger without reaching the physical limits and shutting down the drives. There is a zero mark on the saddle for the X axis but not for the Z axis too.

I also checked the manual for Fagor 8055TC. I'm not shure what model it actually is. The steps for homing are not very detailed, it doesn't specify if i need to jog the saddle in a specific position in order to do an accurate homing.

I hope there is someone here that worked with this kind of machine and can help me figure out what i'm doing wrong.

I use only conversational in my fagor CNC
I fire it up.
Clear the stop alarm (I always estop end of day, just a habit)
Home the spindle orientation then hit the home key and green button.
It will travel as long as needed to home out

I can think of a few thinks that may be messing you up
1. Is the little battery good in the controller? It holds the positional memory of the servos when power is off (mine looked like a little black box. 1.5” ish. Has what looks like a tiny circuit board and a AA battery. (Not standard battery!!)
Fagor wants $$ for this little module. But the battery is under $10 at a battery store. But is spot welded to the tabs)
2. Is the servo encoder reading correctly?
3. Does the axis read some “way out there” number making the controller think it’s in a bad position/outside the soft limit?

Food for thought, hope that helps
Please update when you resolve the issue please!

I did some more testing:

1. I could set a part zero and machine it, and left it in the chuck. I unpluged the machine over the weekend and it kept the part zero pretty well. Only about 0.1mm error on both axis (could be influenced by the temperature change). This makes me think the battery is just fine.
I still can't do automatic precise homing for X and Z. I just made a mark on the machine for the z axis also (not precise at all).
2. I don't know how to check if the servo is reading correctly except that the part i have machined turned out to be as expected.
3. The axis seems to read just fine. It doesn't look weird.

How do i home the spindle orientation? Sometimes when i start the machine and type S and the some number (300) then Cycle start the spindel moves back and forth a few times and then an errors pops-up: PLC 0006 MAXIMUM TIME PER RANGE.

Last edited:
I am not shure but is it possible that this machine has a gearbox? I see on the screen RANGE 2 near the spindle speed but i'm not able to change it, actually i don't know how to do it. Sometimes when i set a lower spindle speed (<800) the spindle moves back and forth and the screen show RANGE 1 instead of RANGE 2. Finally it stops and an error shows up, and the RANGE changes back to 2. Maybe it's trying to change gears and it's not able?

One more thing. Today i drilled a 42mm hole by hand with a HSS drill in the tailstock and the spindle slowed down and stoped when i went a little bit harder (i have predrilled a 10mm hole). Maybe it was the electric motor slowning down or the belts were slipping, didn't figure that out yet.

RANGE indicates gearbox. Try to MDI M41(range 1) and M42 (range 2)..

M42 works, it's RANGE 2 and it stays there because it's already in second gear.
M41 doesn't work. The spindle Moved back and forth and goes into error like when it's trying to change gears automatically.

This morning i got a new error: 4029 on the Z axis and the machine won't move...
IMG_20210628_110549[1].jpg
IMG_20210628_112202[1].jpg

What is the number blinking on the Z axis drive?. (Assuming the LED hasn't burned out like mine.)

Could be cable(s) to servo are bad.

Try turning machine off and restarting.

What is the number blinking on the Z axis drive?. (Assuming the LED hasn't burned out like mine.)

Could be cable(s) to servo are bad.

Try turning machine off and restarting.

The Z drive led shows "E7". The onther two drives show a small "o".

Last edited:
Did you get your issues resolved?

Sounds like you had a few

My spindle homes the C axis rotation 2 different ways.
Either I hit the home button and it slowly rotates to a reference point. Or the first time the chuck is turned on at any rpm it will revolve slowly for the first turn to home then bump to the commanded speed.
I do not have live C axis. But I do have ridged tapping. I assume that’s why mine wants to home on startup

As for the Z axis communications error. I’ve had it a few times. Turned it on and off, worked again, just roll with it I guess. You can always check for loose connections

As for the big drill, you would hear if the belts slip. It’s pretty loud. Your probably overpowering the motor
You may or may not have multiple speed ranges with a gearbox, hence the trying to change gears. Mine has the option in the software but it is disabled as there is no gearbox. I’ve seen machines with no gearbox try and change gears as the programming was not disabled. They get the same error and chuck movement you discribed.
I’ve had several with gearboxes and same thing. They hunt around a bit to get the gear mesh right then chance it. Sometimes err oring out of it takes to long

Apparently the "E7" error was generate due to a power issue(missing phase), but i'm not too shure. I managed to clear the error by resetting the driver.

In order to reset it you need to connect the ERROR RESET pin and +24Vdc pin toghether and the power up the machine. After that you can disconnect ERROR RESET from +24Vdc. Now the error should have been cleared.

IMG_20210730_154607.jpg

The ERROR RESET trick did not hold. The machine goes in error too often.

It's possible that the cause could be the atmospheric temperature? These days it's around 35-40 degrees Celsius.

meu cnc fagor 8055 fresa, está com erro 4029 Não se inicia a comunicação com o regulador. Não responde erro regulador eixo arvore 1

meu cnc está com esse erro e não consigo realizar o reset, fiz o que você indicou e o erro persiste, oque eu poderia fazer para que o erro desapareça?

Back