What's new
What's new

Plasma cut Stainless 316 - climb or conventional milling

benmos

Plastic
I am using a sandvik 50mm r490 cutter - 1040 grade. Wanna get some advice to increase my tool life ... at the moment I do climb milling ... cause I thought that I wanna avoid conventional milling otherwise it creates too much heat ... which is as far as I know bad for machining stainless ... but entering the hard plama cut surface isn’t very good for the insert either .... should I try conventional milling .... or even maybe use a different tool ... maybe endmill - conventional milling ...just to get rid of the hard surface ... thanks in advance for any advice . Ben

I've used R390's and 490s a lot in steel with great results but have never been able to get any life out of them in stainless. Id probably just use an endmill

I'm kinda with the using an end mill bent too. Only thing I can add is be sure to cut plenty deep so you're cutting beyond the heat affected zone. That is of course if you have sufficient spare material to play with.

machining plasma cut stainless is a pain and killer on tooling as it usually creates chromium carbide preciptated at the surface. one or 2 parts, find the right cutter and feed it. if mass production, id be giving them a bath of passivation soloution first to remove the crap layer.

Back