What's new
What's new

Fanuc Work offset,Geometry offset

Prnya

Aluminum
I have gang tool lathe ikegai and work with G50,but it has a geometry offset and work g54,g55,g56,57,58.I'm working on a new generation lathes i know how to capture tool positions, work zero.A lot easier to do so, but this lathe is old fanuc 10T, he has work zero,mesaure button but noting is going.I do not know how to find a zero pieces, and to measure the tools (geometry offset).Does anybody have a video of how it works.In general I know how it works but not on this machine.Can someone explain to me how to do it

The usual way to set positions on a 10T was to use the G50 with X an Z setting.
The first line in the program is:
N1 G50 X--- Z--- S max. RPM.
As far as I know, the 0T was the first control to use the workshift.
To learn more, go to youtube, put in my name, Heinz Putz, to see a full example.
Good luck: Heinz.

The usual way to set positions on a 10T was to use the G50 with X an Z setting.
The first line in the program is:
N1 G50 X--- Z--- S max. RPM.
As far as I know, the 0T was the first control to use the workshift.
To learn more, go to youtube, put in my name, Heinz Putz, to see a full example.
Good luck: Heinz.

Hello Heinz,
Absolutely incorrect. Although Geometry Offset Programming is an optional feature, even in the most current Fanuc Controls, practically all machines where the feature was available had it. Series 10T controls certainly had Tool and Work Shift Geometry Offsets Programming available and overwhelmingly, came with this feature installed. Fanuc 6MB controls had Work Shift Geometry Offsets available.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for letting me know, Bill, just in case I ever need it.
Our daughter is visiting Australia right now, are you from there or did you move from somewhere else?
What machines and controls do you have and what type of parts do you make?
I learned the trade in Germany, but I always wanted to visit where you are, maybe it will still happen.
Good luck: Heinz Putz.

Thanks for letting me know, Bill, just in case I ever need it.
Our daughter is visiting Australia right now, are you from there or did you move from somewhere else?
What machines and controls do you have and what type of parts do you make?
I learned the trade in Germany, but I always wanted to visit where you are, maybe it will still happen.
Good luck: Heinz Putz.

Hello Heinz,
Born in Australia, spent a lot of time in Europe competing in Target Rifle competitions.

I only have a couple of basic 3 axis M/Centres and a Mazak 25ATC Lathe for amusement only. Most of my time I spend solving problems for others and teaching others how to use machines. I contract my services to many machine sales organizations to commission machines and supply training, or take on Turn Key projects.

Regards,

Bill

Bill:
I am so glad to hear that you are training shops, I became totally self employed way back in the middle 80s, we lived in Chicago then and my favorite job was training and rewriting manuals for Fanuc.
At that time they were together with Siemens of Germany and the company was called General Numeric.
I have been looking for another person doing CNC training as a totally self employed person and I believe you and I are the only 2 in the whole world.
I learned the trade of tool and die making in Germany and worked in Chicago and California for many years before CNC came in, I actually worked for Schwinn Bicycle while they were still made in this country.
The closest I came to you was when I had a job for the US navy for a Submarine base in Guam to work on a ship at sea making spare parts for US
Subs.
Stay in touch: Heinz.

I know work with G50 but is hard work, complication...😱I not loved...I want work with work cordination G54, G55...Geometry tool, wear tool...New machine haved.This way is the best. My machine 10T have G54, G55...I call tool T0101, touch...But when I push buton mesaure and axis Z0. exes nothing is heppening :( I dont know ...

After measuring, command T0101 to see the effect.
T0101 before touching is not needed/meaningful.

I tray...In MDI I call tool G54 T0101, and I approach the head of the pieces X0 Z0....When touch I look machine values...Example x-200., z-45.Enter values in geometry offset X...-200 INPUT Z...-45 INPUT.After that, when I call tool G54 T0101 and send G0 X0. Z0. execute a command.Same as G50, the same must sums...But why is there a G54, why do not function button mesaure?will not count...Touch mesaure..Search for me axes...I enter example X20. EXES but nothing...Only when I touch counter directly entered relative cordinates.On newer machines whichever tool to call touch a piece enter axes X or Z value and push button mesaure on translation of value, also when i am taking G54 or G55.On this machine is not working...That is the purpose of a button MESAURE? When you have to count the same as on the G50 value.The only thing you do not have to subscribe and unsubscribe tools but values stands on geometry offset.I hope you understand me :nutter:

I think we have a language berrier im not sure how to overcome? I am having a difficult time understanding what you're doing?

I'd suggest scrapping the measure button and just use a calculator.

If you know how to use G50's on the older controls then you basically have it whooped. Essentially your Geometry offset is what your G50 used to be.

Im thinking what you need to be using the "work shift" for the part Z zero instead of G54 G55 ect ect. Thats what I do on out Fanuc 0-T machine.

Brent

I have a 10t and an OT control. The OT handles the tool teaching in a much simpler way with out having to use a g50 or any kind of work offset every time.

When I got the 10 T control I called fanuc and had them walk me though setting up a tool. Then told them how I wanted it to teach tools like the OT. They had me change a couple parameters and now it's perfect. Just use the measure button when you touch off the part. I never have to input a work offset or anything. Z0 is always the face of my part. Simple and done.

Sorry for my bad language. I understand G50, but is to hard work. In my machine everything is ok but no MESAURE button, is not work. I love work with geometry offset and G54, this is better. Maybe any parameters problem? When touched part (z0.) I pushed MESUARE...Axes? I input example X30. EXES but not is heppening. Do you excplane procedure mesaure input? Step by step?

On my 0TC.

1. Bring up Geometry page.
2. Cursor to tool number to be set.
3. To set Z, touch off part (usually face of part).
4. Type in desired MZ(value).
5. Press OFSET MEASUR button.
6. Press INPUT button.

To set X, touch off known diameter or make a test cut and measure it, as in #3 above. Type in MX(value) press OFSET MEASUR button then INPUT button.

parameters 0078.1 and 0079.1 should be 0.

Last edited:
I have gang tool lathe ikegai and work with G50,but it has a geometry offset and work g54,g55,g56,57,58.I'm working on a new generation lathes i know how to capture tool positions, work zero.A lot easier to do so, but this lathe is old fanuc 10T, he has work zero,mesaure button but noting is going.I do not know how to find a zero pieces, and to measure the tools (geometry offset).Does anybody have a video of how it works.In general I know how it works but not on this machine.Can someone explain to me how to do it

I set my workshift to zero then bring my tool(s) to the face of my chuck or collet closer, touchoff, then press Measure button, then MZ0 input, If the face of the part I'm making is sticking out of the chuck 20mm then set the workshift to that number (20mm).
This works on a OM control.
Good luck

I send pictures tomorow. You see what options I have.Only thing what I want is when I calling any tool in MDI and touch face on part, enter Z0. mesaure ...Or X20 diameter mesaure...I want machine calculations value X, Z in geometry offset or Z in G54 (zero part).I want is that machine working same new generation lath fanuc 18, 20, 30 if can.I not have MX MZ or mesaure offset.I have buttons input, input+,orig, counter,mesaure...Wear offset, geometry offset, work zero

Offset setting is a simple thing. Maybe you are not following the exact procedure.
If you have patience to read, pm me your mail ID. I would send you the pdf of my book on offset setting on 0i or a similar control. Once you understand the theory behind it, you would find it easy.

Offset measure is an option ,the button will be there but will not necessarily work.

You should be able to figure out the offset from the machine position I think.

Back