Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by memphisjed View Post
    I have not seen many post on "real" plasma setups here. What are the rules on it? must use Controlled, Fanuc, or Beckenhoff controller? Are the Chinese tables running hypertherm's industrial controller off limits (that controller should be btw)? Must be hd xpr or better plasma pack, or is simple hd good enough?
    I would assume common sense applies. A few things I can think off
    -table should weigh quite a bit more than the work
    -should have linear rails, not bearings or skateboard wheels running on extrusions
    -should have a machine torch (what is with handheld torches on tables?)
    -should have active Z axis
    -min of 60 amp machine???
    -quality plasma unit such as Hypertherm, no YouLongDingDong specials
    -must be capable of cutting a couple hundred tons of steel a year without falling apart. (@ 500 lbs a sheet for 3/8" this really is a small amount if you think about it but would eliminate many tables)
    -down draft or water bed

I see nothing wrong with running Mach3 on a table as it is more than adequate. It's not a VMC and there are essentially zero cutting forces involved.

Just because something is built in a shop doesn't mean its not industrial, and just because something is built by a large company doesn't make it industrial quality. I have built several tables and can tell you I likely have more into just my linear rails than most people will spend building an entire table. It's robust, weights over 3000 LBS and is only 4 1/2' by 8 1/2' cut size. I used to run it almost non-stop, now it gets fired up for a day or two straight every month or so.

OT: I have a nice set of Siemens brushed DC servos I will some day put on it in an attempt to get 2500 IPM rapids....maybe more

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by memphisjed View Post
    I have not seen many post on "real" plasma setups here......
    Most likely because plasma cutters are far more often used by welders and fabricators rather than machinists. Note that this forum is titled CNC Machining. While a liberal interpretation of machining might include plasma cutting, machining is most often used to refer to metal removal by milling, turning sawing, drilling, etc.

There is a forum on this site for fabricators, plasma discussions, etc.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...lding-and-fab/

If there was still an active moderator on this forum he may have moved this thread there. I suspect it most likely would have been locked due to the low grade machine being discussed.

The main point being, the OP will be better served airing his troubles in the proper forum on this site, or on another site, where more folks with similar machines and troubles will see it and possibly help.

3. Likes EnderDRM liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    I see nothing wrong with running Mach3 on a table as it is more than adequate.
    How is mach going to monitor gas pressures, arc voltage, and table position in real time? Our table here at work is medium sized, 24' x 16' with 260 xpr and 3 propylene torches for thicker stuff. Mach could run the torches, but our 15 year old Controlled DA board still hiccups with the metering console after running for a few hours without a reset. It rides on rails with v wheels on one side and flats on the other. This is for steel job shops so when gantry is snaggled caught by a crane/plate/lift no real damage is done. The linears like hornet are sweet for a processing shop that can afford the low gantry and open loading/unloading footprint.

I can look past which sub forum someone chooses; I can almost look past the torch, because we tried to run our tube plasma like that for a day due to supplier typo on order - and learned it leads to all sorts of problems. I can not look past trying to cut "cool" things out when you have obviously not calibrated with the simple square then square with round hole first. I am pretty sure the OP has a shared ground which a hand torch trigger switch almost always induces, and wrong consumables. Being a store bought the company should have pretty clear diagnostics on this. .8 seconds for a pierce - even for that plasma on that stock is way to long. Something is preventing pilot arc from starting.

Now if I could get help with error 140 on our table I would be happy (bank 2 transducers, replaced all of them, still either all or nothing on one of them randomly).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macds View Post
    There is ample lead in\lead out according to the code.
    The issue is dwell time to allow the initial pierce.
    But not according to the results in the video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    But not according to the results in the video.
    Backplot the code in your cam software... the lead in\out is there, and ample.
    The issue is the dwell duration before the torch fires.

7. Likes Perry Harrington liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take your pierce delay out and try running the program. I'm sorry this forum has turned into
    A guy is trying to do what he can with a machine that he could afford or just using what his boss bought doesn't matter. When I made my post with my machine I got nothing but help from everyone, thank god I didn't come across this mouth. This is why everyone steers away from Skilled Trades because [email protected]$$ like you. Just help the guy or go on without being a dick. Fu&**g retired Keyboard warrior.

9. Likes fueler, newbiecnc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DieselMater86 View Post
    .......Just help the guy or go on without being a dick.......
    See, this is what shows you don't have enough going on upstairs to get. I am trying to help the guy. By advising him to go to a forum where folks play with home grade machines he is much more likely to get help from someone with a similar machine and faced similar troubles. Few here have Mach whatever on a machine built of 8020 extrusions.

I'm pretty sure I have helped far more folks on this forum than those I have advised to leave and find a better place to post their questions and problems.

11. Likes Hardplates, NAST555 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay what ever you say I also told them a site to use that is specific for that machine. But also was trying to help since I my side business uses a CNC Plasma. But Yeah I have nothing going on upstairs. Just a 33 year old doing this for 11 years making 35+ hour Lead Machinist Programmer, and slowly opening my own shop. I'm a fucking idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd pull out the dwell and see what happens.

On my old torch you could start it immediately...but if you stopped it did a clearing, cooling dwell before it would go on again. MAYBE your turning the torch on those bogus Linear moves prior to when you want it to start. I'd try removing those lines as well.

Next I might start my first move with a slow feed rate till torch is cutting then bring it up to speed. You just need to plot a couple of points along your travel which can be read on your screen. Just do a feed hold and jot them down then you can manual insert into your program...of course do this without engaging the torch.

My point is, you have to try something different unless you want the same results. When you figure out whats screwing up by playing around like this...then you can go back to the generated code and see how it needs to be altered to work...you can then go into the CAM and see what changed produce the desired results.

As others have mentioned, this tool is not in our wheelhouse so we are kinda guessing...a forum specific to your machine would be a better choice. ALSO the people you bought the machine from...that first hand best information. I learned early on that its better to ask people that know then pick through thousands of variables on my own. When I buy my machines, I take that into account buying from companies that are more then willing to walk me through problems whether easy and I am having a brain fart or a bit tougher. You purchased a machine for some good coin, your entitled to call them and ask for Tech Support, its part of the package.

As to the guys that think this is beneath us...don't offer any help and move on. Why spend so much time arguing that its a waste of our time...cause that is a waste of time.
    The only dumb questions are the once not asked...and maybe some of mine.

Glad to see people getting involved in manufacturing in any form...we need more people with interest. Get the feet wet and grow within the industry, he may be the next machine shop owner, the next Gene Haas.

14. Likes DieselMater86 liked this post
    Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DieselMater86 View Post
    Okay what ever you say I also told them a site to use that is specific for that machine. But also was trying to help since I my side business uses a CNC Plasma. But Yeah I have nothing going on upstairs. Just a 33 year old doing this for 11 years making 35+ hour Lead Machinist Programmer, and slowly opening my own shop. I'm a fucking idiot.
    Honestly... I am not much older than you, have my own company (for the last 7 years) and have had a big shift with having to merge with another place. Struggling, programming, fixing. Been at it since I was 17 and I can tell you right now, neither of us know even 10% of what Vanc does.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NAST555 View Post
    ......I can tell you right now, neither of us know even 10% of what Vanc does.
    That's only because I started programming and running CNCs in 1978. About the time you fellas were born, I started working as a field service engineer for the US Mori Seiki importer. Been to factory level training in Japan, Chicago, Cincinnati, LA for various builders. It's not that I'm any smarter than most, just had more years and opportunities to soak up some things.

17. Likes Hardplates, NAST555 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congrats on all your accomplishments thats incredible and I would love to sit down to learn from people like you. Thats how I got to where I am now with the knowledge that I have obtained. Either way helping people is what it is all about at the end of the day. If anyone needs the help just shoot me a PM or Email I will do what I can.