What's new
What's new

Plugging Coolant Holes

jephw

Aluminum
What is the best way to plug the coolant holes on this style holder? I have tried bearing balls but they are not as sealed off as I'd like. Any other ideas?

IMG_20210505_090511606.jpg

Captain obvious alert (maybe), but can't you just spin the balls so the coolant drilled hole is not lined up? We used to do it that way.

Remove the nozzle and have a look see. Some of mine are already threaded there under the nozzle so easily plug-able.

Also I end up adding o-rings under the balls some times. Half of them don't seal for squat without.

Tap the holes, put in setscrew.
WTO, MT, Eppinger and some of the others also tap the ball's socket, so all you do is remove the ball, and the very same flat head screw that holds it also plugs it.

And then, there is also my assholic answer: This is a lathe, so why not make your own ball?
Not only a ball, but a bunch of them.
And not only a simple ball, but one that can receive a brazed-in nozzle?
1/4" copper tube from Home Cheapo, cut to various lengths, bend as-need, braze into ball.
I cannot fathom any machine shop spending upwards of $100 for a 6 pack of ready-made nozzles ....:nutter:
A 1/2" dia 360 brass rod and a coil of 1/4" tube ( brass or stainless brakeline) makes a shitton of coolant balls that are EXACTLY to your specification!

Captain obvious alert (maybe), but can't you just spin the balls so the coolant drilled hole is not lined up? We used to do it that way.

This I have done on some of my holders, but there's some with bigger holes in the brass balls and it don't work too good, still leaks out the sides.

This is a Mori Sieki NL3000. And no coolant plugs came with the machine, bought used.
I think you can take out that flush head screw, remove the ball, and put the flush head screw where the ball was.

Back