What's new
What's new

Is it possible for Fanuc 0i to Password a USB automatically?

yardbird

Titanium
I know with 100% certainly I did not password protect this USB drive. I also know that on July 29 2019 I did a backup of my working disk. Everything was konky dory then.

Today I needed to get a program from the other machine but instead taking the time to boot up the other computer I decided to use the USB port. Changed the setting to 17, typed in the program number, switched drives, F-output, execute. turned my back a minute when I got back the control was sitting there flashing outputting. I couldn't get it to stop, ended up shutting the control off to get it to stop.

Take the disk out and go back to the computer and it's password protected. Not like you would think, I can see everything on the disk but can't move or edit anything.

When I right click on the drive go down to properties there isn't an option to enter a password anywhere.

It's always locked in my box so I'm fairly confident someone isn't jacking around with me. Maybe its Ox's ghost. My only other guess, IT guy doing something on the network?

I'm dumbfounded. Wasn't me?

Brent

20190815_051416.jpg
20190815_050033.jpg

It's not password protected, just write protected.

Some pen drives have a physical write protect switch. It's uncommon, but check that first.

Otherwise it has the write protection attribute enabled on the volume. How or why, I don't know.

It can be disabled using diskpart from the command console. You can google how to do that and you'll find step by step instructions, rather than me type them all out here.

There should be nothing preventing you right now from copying from the disk, so backup everything on there onto your pc first in case of cases.

I know with 100% certainly I did not password protect this USB drive. I also know that on July 29 2019 I did a backup of my working disk. Everything was konky dory then.

Today I needed to get a program from the other machine but instead taking the time to boot up the other computer I decided to use the USB port. Changed the setting to 17, typed in the program number, switched drives, F-output, execute. turned my back a minute when I got back the control was sitting there flashing outputting. I couldn't get it to stop, ended up shutting the control off to get it to stop.

Take the disk out and go back to the computer and it's password protected. Not like you would think, I can see everything on the disk but can't move or edit anything.

When I right click on the drive go down to properties there isn't an option to enter a password anywhere.

It's always locked in my box so I'm fairly confident someone isn't jacking around with me. Maybe its Ox's ghost. My only other guess, IT guy doing something on the network?

I'm dumbfounded. Wasn't me?

Brent

View attachment 263166
View attachment 263167

I don't know the answer, but can you right click and format the drive to remove the password protection? Also try clicking on the 'sharing' tab and you will/should (win7pro) see a link at the bottom. CLick that and scroll to the bottom and you will see some options for password protection.

Right click the folder. Select properties. Uncheck "read only".

Thanks everyone, I will read about the diskpart and see how to do this.

I also tried to unclick the "read only" box and it won't let me.

I'm scared to click on format, lol.

I also didn't see anything on the drive itself that would make it read only kinda like the 1.44meg floppy disks of back in the day.

I know I didn't purposely do this and wouldn't think it could be done accidentally.

If it lets copy everything to another spot won't everything still be read only just like it is now?

Thanks again guys.

Brent

This might be a symptom of a failing USB drive, so get it backed up.

You can use the attrib command to remove the write protect on a volume. From a command prompt, the syntax is:

attrib -r drive:\folder

This might be a symptom of a failing USB drive, so get it backed up.

You can use the attrib command to remove the write protect on a volume. From a command prompt, the syntax is:

attrib -r drive:\folder

AFAIK attrib only works at the filesystem level.

i.e. it operates on directories and files only, not volumes

AFAIK attrib only works at the filesystem level.

i.e. it operates on directories and files only, not volumes
Technically the "read only" only attribute only applies to files. If you have a folder marked read only, you can still rename it, delete it, add files, etc. Windows only uses the read only and system attributes at the folder level to determine whether the contents should be displayed, or to apply customization to the displayed folder.

That's what makes me think the OP's USB drive is failing.

Technically the "read only" only attribute only applies to files. If you have a folder marked read only, you can still rename it, delete it, add files, etc. Windows only uses the read only and system attributes at the folder level to determine whether the contents should be displayed, or to apply customization to the displayed folder.

That's what makes me think the OP's USB drive is failing.

In op's first screenshot, the error message is quite explicit - "The disk is write protected."

In the absence of a physical write protect switch, that is caused by the write protection flag being set on the volume.

Nothing whatsoever to do with filesystem level read only attribute.

Back