What's new
What's new

Power Surge, Prototrak problems, any suggestions?

flex45

Plastic
Hello Folks,

This is my first post, hope I put in in the right area. Looking to see if anyone has seen this problem before.

Searched the posts as best I could and didn't find anything like this problem.

I have a small shop with two Southwestern Proto Trak machines, I a DPM3 bed mill with SMX controller and 1630 cnc lathe with SLX controller. The proto trak software runs on a windows based pendant/computer with integrated screen and a few membrane switches on the perimeter.

We have had some power issues locally with the heat and I know power has been on and off a few times at night in the last week or so.

A couple of days ago I went to boot up the lathe and noticed the screen went grey with no apparent boot up. I cycled it a few times with no success and notice that the computer appear to be booting, but screen just went to grey instead of the normal windows boot up. Then on about the 5th or 6th time, the machine display booted, and it appears to be functioning normally, all files are there and the computer and lathe appear to function as it should. Power from control electronics comes from the a 115 plug to the wall independent of the 3 phase which runs through a 20hp North American phase converter.

After shutdown, and recycle, boot up of the screen is intermittent but usually boots after a few tries.

So, I moved on to the mill....and it does exactly the same things...pendant/computer is nearly identical with a slightly different suite of software running the mill. Fortunately the mill display eventually boots up, and it appears to run as it should as well. However, it has the same intermittent screen boot issue as the lathe. Computers and membrane switches appear to be fine so I can actually run through the shutdown sequence by memory and all works as it should.

So it "appears" that both monitors have incurred some sort of damage. How do I know there might have been a power issue? Well, I went to run my 3 phase shear (which solely runs off the phase converter voltage, and I believe was OFF) and that is non functional as well.

I cannot figure out how that failure might have come over the 3 phase since there is a contactor and the phase converter was off as far as I know when this happened?

Anyway, just thought I'd see if anyone has seen type of thing with with the Proto Trak with the SLX/SMX operating systems and screen failures?

Thanks in advance guys, this board has been a big help. A couple of pictures of each attached with failure mode and normal screen.

Regards,

Rob in Boise

Attachments

• IMG_20210705_153528121.jpg
    IMG_20210705_153528121.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20210702_163435181.jpg
    IMG_20210702_163435181.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210705_154105640.jpg
    IMG_20210705_154105640.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20210705_153520241_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210705_153520241_HDR.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 40
#1: get a good UPS for the 120V controller related power stuff!

Looking/thinking about your notes. I have an old AGE 3, so DOS based and not much help, but I’ll reply again if I think of something

ProtoTrak Users

Hello Folks,

This is my first post, hope I put in in the right area. Looking to see if anyone has seen this problem before.

Searched the posts as best I could and didn't find anything like this problem.

I have a small shop with two Southwestern Proto Trak machines, I a DPM3 bed mill with SMX controller and 1630 cnc lathe with SLX controller. The proto trak software runs on a windows based pendant/computer with integrated screen and a few membrane switches on the perimeter.

We have had some power issues locally with the heat and I know power has been on and off a few times at night in the last week or so.

A couple of days ago I went to boot up the lathe and noticed the screen went grey with no apparent boot up. I cycled it a few times with no success and notice that the computer appear to be booting, but screen just went to grey instead of the normal windows boot up. Then on about the 5th or 6th time, the machine display booted, and it appears to be functioning normally, all files are there and the computer and lathe appear to function as it should. Power from control electronics comes from the a 115 plug to the wall independent of the 3 phase which runs through a 20hp North American phase converter.

After shutdown, and recycle, boot up of the screen is intermittent but usually boots after a few tries.

So, I moved on to the mill....and it does exactly the same things...pendant/computer is nearly identical with a slightly different suite of software running the mill. Fortunately the mill display eventually boots up, and it appears to run as it should as well. However, it has the same intermittent screen boot issue as the lathe. Computers and membrane switches appear to be fine so I can actually run through the shutdown sequence by memory and all works as it should.

So it "appears" that both monitors have incurred some sort of damage. How do I know there might have been a power issue? Well, I went to run my 3 phase shear (which solely runs off the phase converter voltage, and I believe was OFF) and that is non functional as well.

I cannot figure out how that failure might have come over the 3 phase since there is a contactor and the phase converter was off as far as I know when this happened?

Anyway, just thought I'd see if anyone has seen type of thing with with the Proto Trak with the SLX/SMX operating systems and screen failures?

Thanks in advance guys, this board has been a big help. A couple of pictures of each attached with failure mode and normal screen.

Regards,

Rob in Boise

Rob,
You might as well make the call to Proto Trak, tell Joseph your issues , early guess looks like you may have to replace both controllers.

Back