Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Headz Marine View Post
    I just bought this... God be with me.. PT020 $5486.00 I have a rotary and its ok but Im sick of it so was looking at VFD's and Sine filters.. bla, bla,, bla.. and said WTH...
    Good choice. If your experience with PP is anything like mine, you won't regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ZfMax View Post
    Good choice. If your experience with PP is anything like mine, you won't regret it.
    Agree with this. I have a Fadal 3016 and run it off of a 15HP RPC and it runs perfectly fine. Buddy purchased a Sharp mill and went for the PP 20HP. Given the choice and the budge the PP is the way to go. I have less than $500 into my RPC, but at some point I'll move to the PP.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no experience with the PP, at the time I needed power they were out of my budget .

I ended up with a American Rotary 10 HP , still wasnít cheap, I think $1500ish with all the plugs /breakers and disconnects .It starts my 5hp gear head lathe at 1800(no clutch) and my Fadal VMC 20 no issues.
    If you didnít see Wheelieking71 shop thread, he had some weird problems frying stuff in his house because of issues using a big PP, be worth checking out, I donít remember the exact issues (bad caps??)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    I have no experience with the PP, at the time I needed power they were out of my budget .

I ended up with a American Rotary 10 HP , still wasn’t cheap, I think $1500ish with all the plugs /breakers and disconnects .It starts my 5hp gear head lathe at 1800(no clutch) and my Fadal VMC 20 no issues.
    If you didn’t see Wheelieking71 shop thread, he had some weird problems frying stuff in his house because of issues using a big PP, be worth checking out, I don’t remember the exact issues (bad caps??)

Quick google search shows a VMC 20 spindle at 7.5HP, you can power that with an AD-10? Or is it an AD-20 model?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just finished my purchase on Phase Perfect 64amp $5486.00. I await shipping now. Nice to here your still having good luck on yours. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by ZfMax View Post
    I bought an 88amp Phase Perfect solid state converter back in 2006 to run a 4020 and a VMC40 and a manual mill at my house. I think I paid something like $6K for it back then. Good investment. Still working perfectly to this day. It's one of those things that you bite the bullet, buy it once, and reap the benefits of it for years and years.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Years ago, maybe 15 years ago, I bought a 30 hp rotary off an outfit in Birmingham, AL. I have 80 yds of buried 300 MCM off the pole. It is fused with 75 amp motor starting fuses and has never blown one. Big bang when it starts but quiet after that.
    I tried to check it with a cheapie clamp type and it said 600 A inrush. The light blink when it starts so that is about a 3-4 V drop but basically instantaneous. Phase to phase voltage is within one volt with a Fluke meter. The converter resides right next to my service and I run #6 Cu 75 feet to the shop.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by meowkat View Post
    Quick google search shows a VMC 20 spindle at 7.5HP, you can power that with an AD-10? Or is it an AD-20 model?
    Itís a 10hp rotary unit. The math doesnít really work out for the vmc motor go. As you mention lots of specs mention 7.5hp. Several places in the manuals and the drive parameters on the machine indicate that the spindle drive is 10hp, but the manuals are generic and the parameters have been tweaked so much over the years.
    The original hand written spec sheet for the machine(correct serial #) indicates the machine was originally shipped with a 5hp drive VFD.

OP - sorry for the thread derail. Iím envious of your power feed budget
    Despite what everyone else experiences with American Rotary being quiet, I was a bit disappointed with its noise. Itís certainly not horribly loud, but a 10hp motor makes some noise both bearings and air, i would like to see a PP in action.
    Good luck with the whole new setup! Itís both fun and a pain in the ass getting a new old machine up and making parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cuttergrinder View Post
    Why would you have 4 wires. Three phase only uses 3.
    neutral

As for a Fadal in the home, would that be in the kitchen or maybe the family room.

When I was single i had a drill press in my bedroom, but I bought the carpet, so no one minded

9. Likes Totallyrc, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cincy #3 vertical in a low-ceiling basement shop, between two joists...6 inch hole thru floor to give access to the draw bar, disguised by a coffee table. That sort of relentless dedication to a business goal cost me a marriage, which I resented at the time as being unfairly shortsighted. Forty-odd years later I concede that she may have had a point. And yes, there were chips embedded in every shred of carpet in the house and car...but the next wife could see farther ahead and put up with it until we no longer brought chips home...yeah, those were the days all right.

11. Likes Bobw, macds liked this post