What's new
What's new

Precision Machining of Aluminum Nickel Bronze | BS 2B23 | C63200

AshokS

Plastic
I am looking for recommendation on machine Aluminum Nickel Bronze (BS 2B23) on turning to control .0005" Roundness over Ø3.700" having .350wide & .060thick ring.

Tried to use Aluminum grade uncoated carbide Sharp insert having corner Radius .002 inserts with .0004 DOC with 500 RPM.

It was scoped out by rough machining by leaving .003" stock on ID & OD then finished the OD with holding on fixture by clamping on thickness. The result of form (roundness) found not less than .002".

Appreciate for any suggestions.

Thanks.

We have a repeat job thats a 250 lb chuck cut down to about 75. High feed mills work well if you can get a tool with a positive insert. Sandvik copy mills also have a huge insert range if you go with the round style, they have some recomended for aluminum alloys with a lot of copper.

The 'Aluminum Nickel' name does NOT mean use aluminum specific inserts; use hi temp alloy inserts.

I disagree with that. Aluminum specific tooling does really well with aluminum nickle bronze...

Years ago I made approximately 15,000 ali-nic-bronze rings almost exactly double the dims the OP has to.
.120 thick. 7.5OD, 6"ID.

Turning, you really had nothing to hold on. Ground polished upsharp ali specific inserts were the only
thing that would make an acceptable part.

I've never met a material in my life that absolutely insisted on a dead sharp cutting edge. Any hone,
or edge prep, even a coating that rounds over the edge a tiny little bit.. Forces just go through the
roof... And I've cut ali-nickel-bronze with non-optimal tools when it was low qty and didn't matter,
but thin little washers that need to maintain thickness, I'm going with the sharpest thing I can find.

The stuff is just weird, and it is so abrasive. All ali-bronzes are.. Throw some nickel in there
and it just gets worse.

Back