What's new
What's new

Price Check requested on a job I just finished (reason for $ check below)

doug925

Titanium
Hey all!
Happy belated Turkey day.

The job: Bore and internal broach a keyway, to accept a 1" keyed shaft
Material: Customer supplied, pre-cut to length, Ø1.937" x 20" lg. 1018crs
Machine: Genos L300M, live tooled, 2" bar machine.
Qty: 11 pcs
Work scope:

1. Prep work: face and chamfer x 1/16 on the OD, each end
  2. Drill Ø.94" x 2.2" deep
  3. Step drill over to Ø.97, and drill/bore 2.19" deep
  4. ID groove to 1.28" @ 1.5" back from the face. (for chip breaking at end of keyway.)
  5. Fin bore to Ø1.0005 - 1.0015 x 2" deep
  6. Ph Horn (SHU117 broaching tool), broach a 1/4" w x 1.5" long keyway

Here is the issue, and why I am looking for a price check.
The writing of the broaching part of the program (and successive emails back/forth from Okuma applications, spanning over a week, and a holiday) took forever.:(

I am willing to eat that specific programming portion, as I/ we needed to learn, and it is now an easy task to change the variables, scaling up or down.

Since I cannot charge for "learning curve" time on my end, the recorded "on-job time" is artificial.

I am looking at what the job "should cost"
Assume a shop had to do the drilling/ boring, then send out for keyway cutting, shipping each way....

Here is my question to the group, and I suspect the answers will vary from one end of the spectrum to the other.

What would YOU charge for this job????

I am trying to get away from just time/material = cost, and working towards what the part "should cost" for the industry served, tolerance, and specialty of the work.

Thanks all,

Doug.

For only 11, about $60each.
I'd have just done the hole in the cnc lathe and broach in the manual lathe with a home made broach.

I guess the crappy part is if you had to buy the deep ID groover and new Ph.Horn broacher, that $600 probably went poof pretty quick... then we're back to doing things for the experience...

Well, fortunately the customer also supplied the broach, so no tooling costs there. I already had the rest of tooling needed, in stock.

I was expecting the amounts to be between the $50-100 ea range. My initial thought was $85, but I went with $75 instead.
Thanks again guys!

Well, fortunately the customer also supplied the broach, so no tooling costs there. I already had the rest of tooling needed, in stock.

I was expecting the amounts to be between the $50-100 ea range. My initial thought was $85, but I went with $75 instead.
Thanks again guys!

always...always go with your first guess.

Back