What's new
What's new

Probable short circuit cnc . Help!

qrovin

Aluminum
We have a 4th axis rotary mounted on a dnm5700 and lately has been acting up.
Opened up the location where the switches where and it was full of swarf and water .
After we dried it and replaced one of the microswitches , we turn on the machine and now there are bunch of alarms that was not there before.
Spindle lube
Spindle air pressure
Coolant filter

Im thinking its a fuse or something but would appreciate any input . Thanks

Maybe the +12v or +24v line? A lot of the limit switches and stuff run on 12 or 24, so test whatever power supply you have for low voltage and any fuses that may be in line.

yup,sounds like a short to me. In the old days it would have been axis - and + ot limits. But those switches dont exist on that machine.

So is this a simple change a fuse or relay thing or something else

That's up to you to find out.
Step 1- Disconnect the rotary, see if it changes anything. Work backward from there. Without being in your shop I can't tell you what the problem is, and you haven't given enough information to even toss a guess at it.

No....Its not a "simple change a fuse or relay thing".......

The desc is vague at best. Don't even think this has anything to do with the rotary. I think something else got wet in the machine. Old Haas? They have a rack of switches at the back of the Y axis. Stupidest design ever. machine is probably running with no Y seal whatsoever.

When you hear switch area is covered in "swarf" there is just more to the story.... Love to see a picture.

You must 1st find the short. If you replaced an switch, there is a possibility of something wrong there. An OHM meter and a electrical print will be your guide.

Funny thing is the rotary works perfect now. But the other alarms wont go away.
Now it wont even do spindle warm up (m102)
And is telling me no spindle air pressure and low spindle lube.

"no spindle air pressure and low spindle lube" is most likely an control voltage (24VDC?) that is now lacking. It is possible that the short was there and then gone, having knocked out the control voltage.

Could this be an inverter problem .?

Now my litany of alrms include magazine door alarm but we dont have a door there and never did

Also coolant filter alarm

How could all these be relatec?

Are they all connected at some point in the back?

I have not worked on a Hass machine but when I need to find a short on our quick mills I first check the voltage comming into and out of the control transformers. If output voltage is too low it could be a bad power supply or a short somewhere in that circuit. If so disconnect the leads on output side, test the voltage again if voltage is good then more likely you have a short somewhere in that circuit. You will have to track down what is on that circuit and see what is shorted out. Do you have the wiring stymatic for machine you are going to need it.

Could this be an inverter problem .?

Now my litany of alrms include magazine door alarm but we dont have a door there and never did

Also coolant filter alarm

How could all these be relatec?

Are they all connected at some point in the back?

They all require 24vdc to be present.

You might or might not still have a short present on the 24vdc but now also likely have a blown fuse in the 24vdc supply circuit.

All of the input signals that go to the control are actually 24vdc+. If the 24vdc goes away, the control sees it as signal not present.

At this point I think you might be in way over your head. This is not difficult but unless you approach your problem with the correct mindset, almost impossible to solve and your question and responses seem to indicate that you head is not where it needs to be to solve this.

These problems need to be approached from a logical troubleshooting viewpoint and not understanding how multiple alarms actually is telling you something significant is problematic.

You need to get your schematics out and start looking at where all of those alarm signals get their power from. You also need to look for where the short to ground is if still present.

They all require 24vdc to be present.

You might or might not still have a short present on the 24vdc but now also likely have a blown fuse in the 24vdc supply circuit.

All of the input signals that go to the control are actually 24vdc+. If the 24vdc goes away, the control sees it as signal not present.

At this point I think you might be in way over your head. This is not difficult but unless you approach your problem with the correct mindset, almost impossible to solve and your question and responses seem to indicate that you head is not where it needs to be to solve this.

These problems need to be approached from a logical troubleshooting viewpoint and not understanding how multiple alarms actually is telling you something significant is problematic.

You need to get your schematics out and start looking at where all of those alarm signals get their power from. You also need to look for where the short to ground is if still present.

Thank you for giving a very helpful answer and pointing me in right direction

Back