What's new
What's new

Probing to ensure part is correctly on fixture - how?

SRT Mike

Stainless
Trying to work towards lights-out manufacturing. The machine has an OMP-400 spindle probe and I have the Easy set macros as well as the measurement macros.

I have multiple pallets on the machine and each has various screws/clamps that must be in place for the part to correctly make it through the machining cycle. I want to come in with the probe and verify the existence of critical clamping before running the part.

I can think of a few ways to achieve this, but looking for the easiest way. Does anyone have some code samples they could share?

Thanks!

There are a few ways to do it.

1) the hard way, hand code it all
2) use your cam to do it if you have the options. We use solidcam and have the probing feature and use it for stuff just like this.

hand coding isnt terrible. Just takes time.

One way to do it is to use the Renishaw protected position move to your advantage. Instead of having the machine stop with a generic alarm when it hits something in it's path, you can set a flag to trigger your own condition or behavior. So in your case, if the probe makes contact with the clamp, it continues on. If it doesn't touch anything, set an alarm to tell the operator to correct the fixturing.

Example out of an inspection plus book, you would essentially have it do the inverse of this:

(CHECKING FOR MISLOADED COMPONENT)
G65 P9810 Z1. F3000. M2.
IF[#148EQ0]GOTO10
#3000=100 (MISLOAD COMPONENT TOO HIGH)
N10 (CONTINUE PROGRAM)

Explanation of the using the "M" argument on a 9810 subroutine call.

M1.
This will set a probe trigger flag (but with no “PATH OBSTRUCTED” alarm). The probe does not automatically return to the start point – make a G0 or G1 move to get off the surface.
#148 = 0 No probe trigger.
#148 = 7 Probe triggered.

M2.
This will set a probe trigger flag (but with no “PATH OBSTRUCTED” alarm). The probe will return to the start point.

Examples are for inspection plus software on newer Mazaks, consult your documentation for any differences for your particular control implementation.

One way to do it is to use the Renishaw protected position move to your advantage. Instead of having the machine stop with a generic alarm when it hits something in it's path, you can set a flag to trigger your own condition or behavior. So in your case, if the probe makes contact with the clamp, it continues on. If it doesn't touch anything, set an alarm to tell the operator to correct the fixturing.

Example out of an inspection plus book, you would essentially have it do the inverse of this:

(CHECKING FOR MISLOADED COMPONENT)
G65 P9810 Z1. F3000. M2.
IF[#148EQ0]GOTO10
#3000=100 (MISLOAD COMPONENT TOO HIGH)
N10 (CONTINUE PROGRAM)

Explanation of the using the "M" argument on a 9810 subroutine call.

M1.
This will set a probe trigger flag (but with no “PATH OBSTRUCTED” alarm). The probe does not automatically return to the start point – make a G0 or G1 move to get off the surface.

M2.
This will set a probe trigger flag (but with no “PATH OBSTRUCTED” alarm). The probe will return to the start point.

Examples are for inspection plus software on newer Mazaks, consult your documentation for any differences for your particular control implementation.

All the time I've programmed the probe to check stuff and I never once noticed that O9810 had an optional input that I could use to generate the custom message "(YOU LOADED IT WRONG DUMBASS)" rather than change the alarm message in the macro itself.

Thank you for this.

I'll note that I probably have an older version of inspection plus in front of me. My manual says revised 04.2003 and only mentions M1. and no M2. ... I have not tried it yet to see if M2. exists.

Back