What's new
What's new

profile grooves on Haas TL-2

Jfisher387

Plastic
I've had parts come up in the shop several times where there is a groove along the part, with a taper to the sides, or a radius on the bottom. The only tool i have for this is a .1565 parting tool. it can cut in all directions, but doesnt break chips cutting sideways.

My problem is that the IPS in the TL-2 doesnt allow vertical cuts when the X direction changes in the program. so my only option then is to use a HRZ Type 2 cut. So it cuts sideways and i have to take baby cuts the whole way.

Has anyone come up with a workaround for this? I use fusion 360 but i have yet to try programming for the lathe.

Thanks Joe

I finger Cam at the lathe. I would rough using g1’s along x or use a G75 cycle. Then finish the tail stock side with that side of tool using one offset then finish chuck side with your otherside of tool with another offset.

Joe,

Could you provide more details?
Type of material
Groove dimensions
Quantity of parts (not as important....)

1) Is Fusion (or you) out putting a canned cycle (G75 or a G71) or long hand programming of the groove?
I ask, since you stated the "IPS in the TL-2 doesnt allow vertical cuts when the X direction changes"
That makes me think canned cycle....

2) can you not purchase (or have shop purchase) a better option for groove turning? ($150 for stick and insert)
I would opt for something like a Iscar Top Grip( or clone) with a corner radius/ chip breaker, so you can profile the groove, rather then plunge/ clean.

Back