What's new
What's new

Drilling angled hole Mazak t plus

Ianagos

Stainless
Good morning I recently purchased a Mazak live tool lathe with a t plus controller but it does not have a y axis. I am interested in drilling angled holes in a part. E.g. if the z axis was 0 degrees say I want to drill in at 45 degrees. Like with a Z X move. I know I can purchase adjustable angle live tools so it seems like it’s possible. But I know nothing about the controller does anyone know if it’s possible?

The machine does not have the eia option. I assume if I had that option I’d be able to program it with normal gcode? Does anyone know if it can be added?

Thanks for your help guy I appreciate any answers.

Wow that makes sense it does have that. I’m pretty new to the Mazak controller. At least I know after I break a few drills I’ll probably be able to do it.

Do you know anything about adding the eia option?

Which control is mostly irrelevant. If you can get the holder at the right Angle, and input G-code (EIA for Mazak).

The problem you're going to have is accel/decel, when to Rapid and Feed. Positioning and sequence. You are not going to able to use a Canned cycle. The math is going to take a while to prove out (might be not possible). It wasn't designed to do that, and the Ladder needs to support it. Basically it will reflect 1-2 Ratio for X and Z, but that's basically, not optimal. Your Drill is going to be Feeding in Z while it's in the Hole, so do you want an elongated hole in X or Z? If the Ladder doesn't support the infeed as opposed to the Axial feed, it won't work. It might if you can change the G17-18-19 work planes.....

But please try it and let us know how it goes.

R

Which control is mostly irrelevant. If you can get the holder at the right Angle, and input G-code (EIA for Mazak).

The problem you're going to have is accel/decel, when to Rapid and Feed. Positioning and sequence. You are not going to able to use a Canned cycle. The math is going to take a while to prove out (might be not possible). It wasn't designed to do that, and the Ladder needs to support it. Basically it will reflect 1-2 Ratio for X and Z, but that's basically, not optimal. Your Drill is going to be Feeding in Z while it's in the Hole, so do you want an elongated hole in X or Z? If the Ladder doesn't support the infeed as opposed to the Axial feed, it won't work. It might if you can change the G17-18-19 work planes.....

But please try it and let us know how it goes.

R

Once I get a chance I will

Problem is I know I’m going to break a few drills but I wanted to do this with through tool coolant drills so minimal to no pecking required therefore making the program simplified. I still need to order the holder and see how it goes. Not high on the priorities but when I get to it I’ll update.

If anybody has done it on a Mazak let me know . Seems like it should work in my mind but like you said syncing the feeding and accels together might be tricky to keep the drill from breaking.

I am not sure if the SQT will support it, but I use G68.5 plane rotate on the Integrex. I have not tried on any of our SQT's because I do not have a holder that angles. One will run a canned drill cycle fine, the other one is not as happy. The rapid moves out and back in for peck drilling are moving in sync. I just made them all feed moves. Feed in, feed out .050 feed in, then feed out at end of hole. a little more code, but works well.

I am not sure if the SQT will support it, but I use G68.5 plane rotate on the Integrex. I have not tried on any of our SQT's because I do not have a holder that angles. One will run a canned drill cycle fine, the other one is not as happy. The rapid moves out and back in for peck drilling are moving in sync. I just made them all feed moves. Feed in, feed out .050 feed in, then feed out at end of hole. a little more code, but works well.

What controller does your integrex have?

I have no clue if it will support plane rotation. I called Mazak and the guy on the phone basically said he didn’t know id have to talk to an applications engineer (I asked about plane rotation as that was what I was thinking after what lilrob said But from what he did say he thought just using feed moves would be able to do it. I think I just need to try it and see what happens but I tell you them tool holders ain’t cheap at all.

Always cut some air first, but you prob know that. Bend a small rod at 45 degrees and put it in a boring bar socket (so it won't spin) to simulate what you are trying to do. If you can bend it accurately enough you can put an indicator on it. How are you going to spot the hole?

Always cut some air first, but you prob know that. Bend a small rod at 45 degrees and put it in a boring bar socket (so it won't spin) to simulate what you are trying to do. If you can bend it accurately enough you can put an indicator on it. How are you going to spot the hole?

That is a really good idea. I’ll try that and see if I get any shifts upon reversal. I can bend and compare to an angle block till I get pretty close.

The holes would probably be on a 45 degree face that was turned so I didn’t think I would need a spot drill. If it’s on a normal turned surface might have to have 2 tool holders one with an end mill or spot drill and one with drill. But that’s like 12k in tool holders easy.

Anyone got one of these for sale? Used?

Good morning I recently purchased a Mazak live tool lathe with a t plus controller but it does not have a y axis. I am interested in drilling angled holes in a part. E.g. if the z axis was 0 degrees say I want to drill in at 45 degrees. Like with a Z X move. I know I can purchase adjustable angle live tools so it seems like it’s possible. But I know nothing about the controller does anyone know if it’s possible?

The machine does not have the eia option. I assume if I had that option I’d be able to program it with normal gcode? Does anyone know if it can be added?

Thanks for your help guy I appreciate any answers.

Hey man,
how did It go with the drilling?

Haven’t tried it yet. But I called Mazak and they seemed to think it was going to work. Also seems I have some maintenance issues. I need to check out my c axis brake as it doesn’t seem to be working. Mazak guy told me to get that fixed first.

The machine need some major fixing it seems. I thought I was getting a nice clean machine but it has some issues. When I get around to it I’ll update here and if anybody has any experience with that or anything with Mazak lathe repair please let me know. I plan on refurbishing the machine if I can. Also the chip conveyer got dropped so I gotta replace a switch on it.

Back