What's new
What's new

Program tool numbers greater than machine's number of pockets - Fanuc

Narf

Plastic
Hello,

I'm looking for a means to assign all of our tools their own, unique tool number...3 Fanuc VMC's have a range from 1-400 offsets in their controllers, but are limited to 40 pockets. Is there anyway to program, for example, T144 to a random pocket? Obviously, we'd be limited to 40 tools in the machine at a time, but this would alleviate a lot of confusion on programmers side of assigning tool numbers, and operators side of finding and loading them. How do you all handle this?

What you can do will be determined by how the machine builder wrote the PMC logic of the machine. Some have a table where tool numbers are assigned to pockets that can be edited by the user. This is pretty common on machines that have "random" style magazines. Other machines will have a fixed tool number to pot correspondence table. Builders can also have logic that prevents calling tool numbers outside of range they choose to allow.

Vancbiker is right in what he said above. It may or may not be possible on your machine(s) to do what you want.

There is a sort of workaround, but it is also limited. See post #13 (by angelw) in this thread: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/side-mounted-tool-changer-fanuc-0imd-284720/

You would be limited by that method in the fact that you couldn't use tool 1 and tool 41 in the same program; the method outlined there would have the machine see them as "the same tool".

I would no do that method personally; I feel like it has a higher likelyhood of screwing up in some unforseen way, even though I don't know how it would.

My recommendation is to get a machine with more tools! Have 2 machines with 100 and 132 tools available to me. And I still find myself swapping some tools out because that is not enough...

Edit: I just realized you were the person who bumped the thread I just linked you to, so I know you've already explored that option. lol.

I would think it would be easier approach to leave the T numbers be and use the N numbers and parentheses to identify the tool in the spindle. N144 N1144 N2144... (T144 1/2 in. endmill....)

T144 for example

N144 T7 M6

G90 G0 G54...
G43 H144 Z.1...

Setup Sheets could be layed out as
T144 Pot 7

Then when you have a job that requires a T300 in pot 7 you don't have to worry about the T (pot) number matching and you can utilize all the 400 offsets, which comes in handy when reusing tooling.

If you hand load the tools over T40, all should be fine I would think?

Call M6 T041 and it should empty the spindle and call offset 41.

M6 T041
M0
(Manuelly change tool here)
M3 S2500
G0 bla

bla
M0
(Manuelly unload spindle)
M6 T202

Unless the "M" series doesn't (can't be made to?) use T codes like that?

I doo it like this on a Siemens, but I am not able to pull up other offsets, so I hafta just run with no offset at all and code it according to the tool length figgered in. Much bigger hassle when replacing tools.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

"Setup Sheets could be layed out as T144 Pot 7". That won't work on a machine with a random access tool carousel after you load tools because the tool won't get put back in the same pocket after a tool change.

"Setup Sheets could be layed out as T144 Pot 7". That won't work on a machine with a random access tool carousel after you load tools because the tool won't get put back in the same pocket after a tool change.

In that case, it should still work as long as you load the tools in through the spindle and the machine keeps track of the pot number. We load a 24 pot vertical like this and keep our sheets with Ex. T144 pot 7 (when really you enter T7 M6 and install it).

If you hand load the tools over T40, all should be fine I would think?

Call M6 T041 and it should empty the spindle and call offset 41.

M6 T041
M0
(Manuelly change tool here)
M3 S2500
G0 bla

bla
M0
(Manuelly unload spindle)
M6 T202

Unless the "M" series doesn't (can't be made to?) use T codes like that?

I doo it like this on a Siemens, but I am not able to pull up other offsets, so I hafta just run with no offset at all and code it according to the tool length figgered in. Much bigger hassle when replacing tools.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I wish it were this easy. We have a Siemens also, and this is what I was hoping to emulate. However,as it stands, it errors out when tool change M6 calls out T>40.

What you can do will be determined by how the machine builder wrote the PMC logic of the machine. Some have a table where tool numbers are assigned to pockets that can be edited by the user. This is pretty common on machines that have "random" style magazines. Other machines will have a fixed tool number to pot correspondence table. Builders can also have logic that prevents calling tool numbers outside of range they choose to allow.

I'll try reaching out to our builder. We do have random pocket swing arm tool changers, but I have not found a tool table to assign pockets.

Vancbiker is right in what he said above. It may or may not be possible on your machine(s) to do what you want.

There is a sort of workaround, but it is also limited. See post #13 (by angelw) in this thread: Side Mounted Tool Changer and Fanuc 0iMD

You would be limited by that method in the fact that you couldn't use tool 1 and tool 41 in the same program; the method outlined there would have the machine see them as "the same tool".

I would no do that method personally; I feel like it has a higher likelyhood of screwing up in some unforseen way, even though I don't know how it would.

My recommendation is to get a machine with more tools! Have 2 machines with 100 and 132 tools available to me. And I still find myself swapping some tools out because that is not enough...

Edit: I just realized you were the person who bumped the thread I just linked you to, so I know you've already explored that option. lol.

Lol, yep that was me. It is closer to resolving some of our bottlenecks but not quite there.

Hello,

I'm looking for a means to assign all of our tools their own, unique tool number...3 Fanuc VMC's have a range from 1-400 offsets in their controllers, but are limited to 40 pockets. Is there anyway to program, for example, T144 to a random pocket? Obviously, we'd be limited to 40 tools in the machine at a time, but this would alleviate a lot of confusion on programmers side of assigning tool numbers, and operators side of finding and loading them. How do you all handle this?

T, H & D values don't all need to match. You can use 1-40 for your Tool numbers, and assign a specific H & D value for the tool you want. For example, Call up T14 with H114 and D114, etc.

That type of stuff is typically the setup guys responsibility to reorder numbers if he needs to squeeze a job in a machine that's already setup with something else. Renumbering tools to ones that are available, or sharing tools with the same tool number but assigning its own unique H and/or D, and so on.

MΛCK;3301971 said:
I would think it would be easier approach to leave the T numbers be and use the N numbers and parentheses to identify the tool in the spindle. N144 N1144 N2144... (T144 1/2 in. endmill....)

T144 for example

N144 T7 M6

G90 G0 G54...
G43 H144 Z.1...

Setup Sheets could be layed out as
T144 Pot 7

Then when you have a job that requires a T300 in pot 7 you don't have to worry about the T (pot) number matching and you can utilize all the 400 offsets, which comes in handy when reusing tooling.

If I understand this correctly, we would still have the issue of programmed tool having duplicate T numbers? N144(tool 144)T7, N220(tool 220)T7, etc. we would have to condense all tools to T1-40 resulting in many programs being modified trying to find open pockets. or did I misinterpret this?

T, H & D values don't all need to match. You can use 1-40 for your Tool numbers, and assign a specific H & D value for the tool you want. For example, Call up T14 with H114 and D114, etc.

That type of stuff is typically the setup guys responsibility to reorder numbers if he needs to squeeze a job in a machine that's already setup with something else. Renumbering tools to ones that are available, or sharing tools with the same tool number but assigning its own unique H and/or D, and so on.

This is what we do now and are trying to eliminate.

Our ancient Makinos we had a long time used assignment programs such as this for an OM control which would be run after re-origin of the pots. This is a simple assignment program and can call the pots whatever you like. The machine keeps track of the tools and the tools go into different pots but no worries; it knows what tool is where.

M57
T01
T02
T03
and so on
M30

I seem to recall the old Fanuc 6 and 11 was different, something like this...
M57
S1T1
S2T2
S3T3
and so on

Again this is an example of being sequential but does not have to be. The old Fanuc controls did not have the ability to match all the comps for the tool using the same offset number, every one used a unique offset number. Probably not what you want to hear but at least you have many offset numbers so you can keep it organized by using number series for comp which correspond to tools.

The old Fanuc controls did not have the ability to match all the comps for the tool using the same offset number, every one used a unique offset number.
Hello Qwan,
What does that even mean?

With a Fanuc control since day dot, any Offset Number could be programmed with any Tool Number and multiple Offsets could be programmed with the one Tool. Only one offset could be active at one time of course. Of course, it is logical to combine the same Offset Number as the Tool Number, but if you wanted to dance outside the box, you could do what you likes.

Your second example appears to be for a machine that didn't have infinitely variable spindle speeds, but an S value that represents a particular RPM. For example:
S1=200
S2=250
etc.

You would see this arrangement with 3000C controls and earlier, but even early controls such as 3000C, infinitely variable (infinitely variable integer values) Spindle Speeds was available. I've never seen other than infinitely variable Spindle Speeds on FS6 controls, although this was more up to the MTB than Fanuc. But certainly never on an FS11 control. The MTBs would be shooting themselves in the foot to be still offering machines without infinitely variable Spindle Speeds at that stage.

Regards,

Bill

Hello Qwan,
What does that even mean?

With a Fanuc control since day dot, any Offset Number could be programmed with any Tool Number and multiple Offsets could be programmed with the one Tool. Only one offset could be active at one time of course. Of course, it is logical to combine the same Offset Number as the Tool Number, but if you wanted to dance outside the box, you could do what you likes.

Your second example appears to be for a machine that didn't have infinitely variable spindle speeds, but an S value that represents a particular RPM. For example:
S1=200
S2=250
etc.

You would see this arrangement with 3000C controls and earlier, but even early controls such as 3000C, infinitely variable (infinitely variable integer values) Spindle Speeds was available. I've never seen other than infinitely variable Spindle Speeds on FS6 controls, although this was more up to the MTB than Fanuc. But certainly never on an FS11 control. The MTBs would be shooting themselves in the foot to be still offering machines without infinitely variable Spindle Speeds at that stage.

Regards,

Bill

I believe he is talking about older fanucs when there was no differentiation between length and diameter...so you had T2 with H2 but D42 for example, because there is only one input for each offset.

If I understand this correctly, we would still have the issue of programmed tool having duplicate T numbers? N144(tool 144)T7, N220(tool 220)T7, etc. we would have to condense all tools to T1-40 resulting in many programs being modified trying to find open pockets. or did I misinterpret this?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, if you are utilizing the same T number(T7)for 2 different tools within the program then yea you would have an issue. We would assign them 2 diffrent pots like this N144(T144) T7 M6 and N220(T220)T8 M6. If you have a random magazine just load the tools in through the spindle all should be good. If more are needed, create a M0 and change the tool out mid program using the same system but just change the H and D offsets for that tool being installed mid program
T7 M6
M0(install T321)
N321(T321).... H321 D321.

we've ran like this for years but if you're looking to switch your programs it might be a hassle.

we use this system for 3 horizontals(60 pocket) and 1 vertical (24 pocket). The vertical has a random pot changer while the horizontals don't, they all have the same setup sheets and programs with the N144 T7 etc.

Ex. setup sheet
T12 Pot1 (T1 M6)install tool
T132 Pot2 (T2 M6)install tool
T44 Pot3 (T3 M6)install tool etc
T175 Pot4 (T4 M6)
T300 Pot5 (T5 M6)
T52 Pot6 (T6 M6)

N12 T1 M6
(T12 3" Carbide Insert Face Mill)
Using Offsets H12 D12

N132 T2 M6
(T132 3/4" Carbide Endmill)
H132 D132

N44 T3 M6
(T44 1/2" Carbide Endmill)
H44 D44

N175 T4 M6
(T175 1/4" 2 Flute Carbide Endmill)
H175 D175

We try to keep our most heavily used tools keep is the same pot from job to job.
Hope this helps

I believe he is talking about older fanucs when there was no differentiation between length and diameter...so you had T2 with H2 but D42 for example, because there is only one input for each offset.

Separate D and H Offset tables don't apply to just older Fanuc Controls, but to the Offset System supplied. It can apply to the current model control and is determined by what system the MTB supplies with the machine.

.....Your second example appears to be for a machine that didn't have infinitely variable spindle speeds, but an S value that represents a particular RPM. For example:

Hi Bill,

Qwan is talking about a unique bit of PMC programming used by Makino back in the 6, 10, 11, 12, and 0 series controls. The M57 invoked logic in the PMC to read the subsequent S and T addresses and populate the tool to pot correspondence table. At the end of the assignment program I think I recall that one had to execute M58 before the M30 to disable the tool to pot data setting mode. It was a rarely used function in my experience. Some folks may have found it useful, but I really never did. The only times I recall using it was to create the tool to pot table after re-initialization of the control.

Hi Bill,

Qwan is talking about a unique bit of PMC programming used by Makino back in the 6, 10, 11, 12, and 0 series controls. The M57 invoked logic in the PMC to read the subsequent S and T addresses and populate the tool to pot correspondence table. At the end of the assignment program I think I recall that one had to execute M58 before the M30 to disable the tool to pot data setting mode. It was a rarely used function in my experience. Some folks may have found it useful, but I really never did. The only times I recall using it was to create the tool to pot table after re-initialization of the control.

That is exactly what we used those programs for. We rarely used it but when we did assign tools to pots, 99% of the time it was for the same reason as you but once in a while we assigned unique numbers for legacy programs.

Back