What's new
What's new

Programing flats with C axis on fanuc 16-TT controller

NASTYZEN

Plastic
Hey guys. I need some help with programing 2 flats on 3\8 dia. Round bar and 4 flats on 5/16 dia.using the C with radial tooling.
Any one have a bit of example code for this?
I am doing this on a Nakamura Tome TW-10 twin turret ,twin spindle lathe with Fanuc 16-TT controller. I'm sure there is a canned cycle for this. But none in my book.

Hey guys. I need some help with programing 2 flats on 3\8 dia. Round bar and 4 flats on 5/16 dia.using the C with radial tooling.
I am doing this on a Nakamura Tome TW-10 twin turret ,twin spindle lathe with Fanuc 16-TT controller. I'm sure there is a canned cycle for this. But none in my book.

Polar Coordinate Function should do it. The 16 control "should" have it. I think it's G112 but check your manuals. When engaged it makes the C axis a virtual Y, so you can write the code and it will mill flats.

Polar Coordinate Function should do it. The 16 control "should" have it. I think it's G112 but check your manuals. When engaged it makes the C axis a virtual Y, so you can write the code and it will mill flats.

Polar coordinate interpolation is usually an option for fanucs. It is probably 9937B2.

Hello NASTYZEN,
When you say radial tooling do you mean tools with stick out along the X axis? If so, Polar Interpolation won't help you. For Polar Interpolation, the tool stick out would be along the Z axis. You can use Polar Interpolation with tool stick out along the X axis, but the cutting tool would have to be a Ball Mose cutter. For your described job, that method would be tediously slow.

Regards,

Bill

N2T808(LIVE MILL - ENTER RAD)
M52S1000
M23
G0X2.Z.2C0
G1G112
G41X.7F100.
Z-.423
C-.186F100.
X-.7F8.M8
C.186F100.
X.7F8.
Z.2F200.M9
G40X2.
G113
G0T0X15.Z10.M55

"Enter Rad" is a reminder to enter the cutter rad in the offset page, and you want to choose "9" on the orientation field.

X = diameter
C = rad

This is written for endwerking tools of course.

My machines don't use radial nor axial toolholders.
Mine use crosswerking or endwerking.
That way we all know WTF we are all talking about.
Those other werds are written to cornfuse the receiver and make the sender sound smart. :rolleyes5:

(right up there with latter and former BS!)

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Alternatively, if there is room on your controller and you can do macro, you can make your own canned cycle

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback!
I do have a section in the book with polar coordinates interpolation.
Between that and the code from OX I should be able to attempt something.I think... with the endmill cutty thing pointing towards the spindle.
It's not easy being noob.:wall:
I have my welders cap on for a couple of days. Will attempt some flats when I put my machinist cap back on and will report back on my progress.
You guys rock!

Nexgencam made a post for my Fanuc 16TTB with live tools & Y axis, you can probably do everything in CAM (fusion 360) for your machine with a custom post.

Assuming you have experience with CNC milling it might help to know that a lot of people call G112 “mill mode” where X, C, and Z in your lathe code behaves like X, Y, and Z, respectively, would behave in a mill. Mind what Ox pointed out about X and C being radial and diameter, though. You can even use cutter comp! Start slow with a z depth of .005” and have fun. Once you do it once it will seem so easy and be a fantastic tool to have in your virtual toolbox. Good luck!

Hey guys,
Couple day welding turned out to a couple of weeks. When it rains it pours..
So I finally got to programing in G 112 and it works! How cool is that!
Had to mess with it a bit like starting way off the part not to cut a third flat on approach.LoL
Thanks for all your help.

Back