What's new
What's new

Programming by centerline, not radius off centerline

Traegerdacoda12

Plastic
I was talking to a programmer the other day and he spoke of a way to manually write your programs based off centerlines, and using your D value to compensate for it somehow.

EX. You have a 1 by 1 square to mill with a .5 EM, the only way I know is to mill it as a 1.5 block to compensate for the tool radius.
G1 y1.25
X1.25
Y-1.25
X-1.25

He told me he programs it as the drawing indicates. And makes up with radius offset.
G1 y1.0
X1.0
Y-1.0
X-1.0

Unfortunately he had to run before he could explain. But if anybody knows what he's talking about could you explain? It would save me hours in math.

He uses g41/g42 also known as cutter comp. You have to use the offset in the machine as well.

Hint: ditch the text message spelling if you want to be taken seriously here

I was talking to a programmer the other day and he spoke of a way to manually write your programs based off centerlines, and using your D value to compensate for it somehow.

EX. U have a 1 by 1 square to mill with a .5 EM, the only way I no is to mill it as a 1.5 block to compensate for the tool radius.
G1 y1.5
X1.5
Y-1.5
X-1.5

He told me he programs it as the drawing indicates. And makes up with radius offset.
G1 y1.0
X1.0
Y-1.0
X-1.0

Unfortunately he had to run before he could explain. But if anybody knows what he's talking about could you explain? It would save me hours in math.

did you mean to type
EX. U have a 1 by 1 square to mill with a .5 EM, the only way I no is to mill it as a 1.5 block to compensate for the tool radius.
G1 y1.25
X1.25
Y-1.25
X-1.25

He uses g41/g42 also known as cutter comp. You have to use the offset in the machine as well.

Hint: ditch the text message spelling if you want to be taken seriously here

So when using cutter comp you can just write the program as shown in the print? Do you have to do anything special at all, or just put your tool radius in this case as .25 and call it good? I always thought putting the cutter comp in would change nothing unless you change wear or geometry... And your right with the "text". Old habits die hard

So when using cutter comp you can just write the program as shown in the print? Do you have to do anything special at all, or just put your tool radius in this case as .25 and call it good? I always thought putting the cutter comp in would change nothing unless you change wear or geometry... And your right with the "text". Old habits die hard

Not quite that simple, but close. The entry/exit from the path has to be large enough to allow enough motion for G41/42 to activate and compensate.

Not quite that simple, but close. The entry/exit from the path has to be large enough to allow enough motion for G41/42 to activate and compensate.

Yes it is the advantage to using cutter comp, your program is to print dimensions and if you change to a tool that is .010 or .020 different your program does not change.
No adding or subtracting, no modifying rad sizes, no fudging angle starts and exits, just blueprint numbers in your program.
Leadins and leadouts are what drive people nuts when programming this way.
Bob

I was just going to add that. A lead in and lead out line is needed for that. To keep myself from going "nuts" I normally start 1and half times tool diameters from a starting point. My software allows for radius path in and outs. But if you think in straight lines use "L" as a reference.
Roughly
G0 X1.75Y1.75
G41 G1 X1.Y1.75
Y-1.
X-1.
Y1.
X1.75

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back