What's new
What's new

Programming Consulting / Help

rwa2004

Plastic
In our shop, we just have one full time machinist to run a Haas VF-2SS mill and ST-20Y lathe. Our machinist is great, but he does not know what he does not know and we struggle to learn new ways of doing things. One of his main sources of information for speeds and feeds is the Iscar salesman.

One thing that brings up our thoughts of finding someone to consult with is that we plan to purchase a rotary table (HRT210). Our machinist is concerned that he is not familiar with the how to program it. I would love to find a way to have someone stop in once a month or so to help us through some small issues. Similar to how you would hire IT support.

What kind of options are out there for having a consultant for setting up machining programs? Do any of you work with consultants? We are not far from Meadville PA. I think there are plenty of resources I am just not sure how to find them.

In our shop, we just have one full time machinist to run a Haas VF-2SS mill and ST-20Y lathe. Our machinist is great, but he does not know what he does not know and we struggle to learn new ways of doing things. One of his main sources of information for speeds and feeds is the Iscar salesman.

One thing that brings up our thoughts of finding someone to consult with is that we plan to purchase a rotary table (HRT210). Our machinist is concerned that he is not familiar with the how to program it. I would love to find a way to have someone stop in once a month or so to help us through some small issues. Similar to how you would hire IT support.

What kind of options are out there for having a consultant for setting up machining programs? Do any of you work with consultants? We are not far from Meadville PA. I think there are plenty of resources I am just not sure how to find them.

Have you thought about looking for a part time programmer?

Have you considered reaching out to your HAAS distributor? Most of the builders have Applications Engineers on their team that could provide what you are after. They spend most of their time training and solving technical problems. While they are expensive, they do have the benefit of factory support and training. Somebody who really knows your equipment inside and out can get a lot done in 8 hours.

I might try to look into the Haas application team. So far I have only ever talked to the Haas salesman and I have really not been impressed. Getting even a sales related answer out of him was like pulling teeth. That is just one guy tho in an organization that seems really great.

We do not have enough of a demand that I think I would be able to hire a programmer even part time. Besides, the goal is to find someone to work themselves out of a job by training our machinist.

LOL ill program your trunnion for ya.

Don't live in PA obviously but could do it remote....if you're interested.

3+2 work or simultaneous 5 axis?

Makino has recorded online seminars that are very valuable. A little sales pitchy but they know what's going on. No offense to Iscar, but they are "salesmen", many whom haven't flung a chip in years, if ever.

To start off we are just looking to operate the Rotary Table as a glorified indexer. 3+1.
I think we will be able to handle that, but I would like to be able to develop into using it as a true 4th axis.

Back