What's new
What's new

Programming A Touch Setter in Doosan Puma tt1800sy

nightsky84

Aluminum
Hello all again!
I am currently new the macro programming, but with a little help from the boss I'm starting to figure it out. My question is we have a quick setter that comes down so we can touch our tools off. If I am programming this to do it by itself should I use machine coordinates or the coordinates from the tool offset? I think I can use the machine coordinates for the tool setter so I know where it's at but then if I call up a tool and use the machine coordinates for it it may not go in front of the setter and crash into it. Where if I use its tool offset then I can tell it to go to an inch or so in front of the tool setters location and it not crash, but then if I were to change to a different part and change the Z offset on my work coordinates that location would change and could make the same tool crash. I don't know what to do and I need some insight on what I need to do. I just need to get it to where the tool checks itself and doesn't crash into my tool setter.

Hello nightsky84,
Although you may be able to command the Quick Setter to lower into the Tool Set position and raise it to the Park position via an "M" code, you need to determine if its fully programmable.

Many of these devices are only capable of setting the Tool Offsets by driving the Tool to trigger the setting device via a Manual Mode (Jog, or Hand-wheel control). Accordingly, if you want to set Tool Offsets programmatically using a Custom Macro program, you need to determine if the Quick Setter is interfaced with the Skip Signal and G31. You can do this by putting the Quick Setter in the Tool Setting position and with the tool a safe distance from the setter (a position where it will be impossible for the Cutting Tool to make contact with setter) and either via MDI, or a short program in Auto Mode, execute the following code:

Metric Example
G98 G31 W-150.0 F500.0
M00

Shortly after the Z Axis starts moving, press the Z+ switch of the Setter by hand. If the device is interfaced with and raises a Skip Signal, the motion of the Z Axis should stop immediately.

Regards,

Bill

If memory serves, once the tool setter is in the down position, Doosan doesn't allow rapid moves or turret indexes. In order to facilitate in-process tool checking, there may be some parameter/keep relay changes that need to be made and you'd be making them at your own risk.
I know when I worked there, I had a large crate of mangled lathe Q setters from "experts" who "knew what they were doing."

If memory serves, once the tool setter is in the down position, Doosan doesn't allow rapid moves or turret indexes.

Hello Douglas,
A number of my clients have various models of Doosan lathes; all with Tool Setters that are brought into the Tool Set position via "M" code, all allow Turret Indexing and Rapid Traverse and all only display the Geometry Offset page when either Feed, or Hand-wheel Mode are selected. None of these machines will halt the axis motion by actuating the appropriate Tool Setter switch when the motion is initiated via program, or MDI. G01 would be useless to use, as there is no facility to capture the trigger point coordinate, but neither G01 nor G31 are halted by actuating the Tool Setter switches. As a safety feature, it would have been sensible for all motion to be stopped when any switch was executed, irrespective of whether Tool Offset setting was possible or not via program.

Regards,

Bill

Hello Douglas,
A number of my clients have various models of Doosan lathes; all with Tool Setters that are brought into the Tool Set position via "M" code, all allow Turret Indexing and Rapid Traverse and all only display the Geometry Offset page when either Feed, or Hand-wheel Mode are selected. None of these machines will halt the axis motion by actuating the appropriate Tool Setter switch when the motion is initiated via program, or MDI. G01 would be useless to use, as there is no facility to capture the trigger point coordinate, but neither G01 nor G31 are halted by actuating the Tool Setter switches. As a safety feature, it would have been sensible for all motion to be stopped when any switch was executed, irrespective of whether Tool Offset setting was possible or not via program.

Regards,

Bill

Sounds like another crate of arms coming into Pine Brook.
Seriously, that's really scary.

Douglas is correct as to the manual tool setters. But most Doosans have automatic tool setters which can be programmed to check tools and update the offsets. But tools need to initially set manually.

Just for the hell of it I tried G98 G31 W-10. F1. on our PUMA 300. The machine did execute the command but even with it in service mode I couldn't get it move without the door closed. I reckon through the side access panel with a broomstick could have pushed the Z positive button on the Q setter to see if it'd stop and update the offset but it was time to go home. Maybe tonight I'll take my pool cue. lol

Brent

Fanuc has a G Code solution for this and this is how it works on the Doosan lathes with the automatic tool setters. The below is from the Fanuc manual. Since we can't post PDF's here, I cannot add the files to this message. If someone wants to email me, I will be happy to send the package to them.

[email protected]

5.8 AUTOMATIC TOOL OFFSET (G36, G37)
When a tool is moved to the measurement position by execution of a
command given to the CNC, the CNC automatically measures the
difference between the current coordinate value and the coordinate
value of the command measurement position and uses it as the offset
value for the tool. When the tool has been already offset, it is moved
to the measurement position with that offset value. If the CNC judges
that further offset is needed after calculating the difference between
the coordinate values of the measurement position and the
commanded coordinate values, the current offset value is further
offset.
Refer to the instruction manuals of the machine tool builder for
details.

Fanuc has a G Code solution for this and this is how it works on the Doosan lathes with the automatic tool setters. The below is from the Fanuc manual. Since we can't post PDF's here, I cannot add the files to this message. If someone wants to email me, I will be happy to send the package to them.

[email protected]

5.8 AUTOMATIC TOOL OFFSET (G36, G37)
When a tool is moved to the measurement position by execution of a
command given to the CNC, the CNC automatically measures the
difference between the current coordinate value and the coordinate
value of the command measurement position and uses it as the offset
value for the tool. When the tool has been already offset, it is moved
to the measurement position with that offset value. If the CNC judges
that further offset is needed after calculating the difference between
the coordinate values of the measurement position and the
commanded coordinate values, the current offset value is further
offset.