What's new
What's new

Programming a Y axis lathe. Need guidance and advice to get started!

wrustle

Titanium
Our new 2020 Haas ST-10Y just hit the floor last Wednesday. Waiting for the electrician now to come in this week and then for the Haas install techs to come and get it going.

I have zero experience with not only the live tooling in the machine, but also the Y axis aspect of it.

Like the vast majority of us in here, self teaching is going to be in full swing very quickly! In the mean time, it is and will be another spindle for all our small part turning, so it's not like it will be there in the corner sitting idle all the time.

So please.......all you live tool lathe with Y axis guru's.......I am all ears!

Should I be looking into adding a mill/turn module to our existing programming software?

It is Bobcad V31 and before all the nasty comments start.....I love it, it makes us great money, and I'm not about to change since we've been using the new version every year since V25, so please........keep the flamethrowers in the closet! :D

The control does come with VPS so I could always program at the machine, but that's not how we do things in my shop, I program everything from my desk and send them out to the shop on a flashdrive with the job route sheets inside the clear plastic folder. Keeps everything nice and tidy!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Russ

20200729_105745.jpg

Not familiar with BC, but almost certainly you are going to want the mill-turn module.

It is possible to write a milling post that will get you close, and then stitch the two together, but it's a far from ideal solution - you will not have direct polar/cylindrical support and will have to do post hacks to make that work, probably need two separate posts for axial / radial etc.

Strongly advise against that route if BC has a viable dedicated mill-turn module that you can buy.

What brand of live tools did you get if you don't mind me asking? We are/were kind of looking to get a Y axis lathe, but wowsa the live tools are expensive, even off brand, and my gut tells me they will be far from a bargain when they wear out prematurely...

What brand of live tools did you get if you don't mind me asking? We are/were kind of looking to get a Y axis lathe, but wowsa the live tools are expensive, even off brand, and my gut tells me they will be far from a bargain when they wear out prematurely...

There's no such thing as a cheap live tool, or cheap live tool rebuild.

I have no idea what the quality of these tools are as it's my first live tool purchase. These are the 2 that come with the machine.

LIVE TOOL - RADIAL.jpgLIVE TOOL - AXIAL.jpg

Your Haas distributor should have a vested interest in training you, probably at their facility. I'm a big believer in getting training from the distributor / manufacturer, then you have the basic knowledge to use to get proficient. A week struggling with the machine,then get to class. After that , hands on experience is your best teacher.

You will be buying live tool holders for the next year. Never have enough in the orientation you need, keep your checkbook handy.

Programming isn't so hard, the post processor is the most important part of getting the machine running and making money.

Back