What's new
What's new

Protecting PC from coolant/dust/gunk

rapril

Plastic
I do IT support for a couple of machine shops. We just replaced PCs at several machines and the ones we swapped out are a sticky mess from coolant mist and dust. I'm hoping to retask them to office and assembly areas. Keyboards and mice are cheap to replace. But this gunk gets into the power supply, CPU heatsink, and video card fans and causes them to fail or slow down. I'd love to find a way to protect the new PCs from this. I know enclosures exist with filters for dust, but do any protect from the fine coolant mist that permeates the air?

I don't know of any specifically designed for that, but perhaps a modified cabinet with a large external filter such as the Gore-tex Cleanstream filters used in many shop vacuums. They are washable and if spares are kept they could regularly be swapped out while the others are cleaned. Another choice might be something like an oil bath air filter with water instead of oil as the catch medium.

EDIT: Never mind. Just found this with a quick search.

ShopShield™ Computer Dust Covers and Filters—Protect Your Computers

"ShopShield™ computer dust covers totally encase your equipment in protective, breathable membranes. Without protection in a busy shop the sensitive electronic components inside your computer processor and monitor will quickly become coated with dust, oil, grime and other air-borne particles. The filters cover your entire processor and monitor and the huge (expansive) surface area of the filter material (passively) removes dust and particulate from incoming air."

I hope you are exaggerating the coolant mist that is circulating around the shop.
Do their machines have mist collectors? I hate buying them but sure like having them around.

Back