What's new
What's new

Prototrak AGE3 bedmill, is there a fast way to move the head in a controlled way?

SBAER

Hot Rolled
I have had a mid 90's Prototrak bedmill for a number of years, I use it rarely because I don't like anything about the control other than the fact that there is a scale on the quill and it changes the Z position on the control. Moving the quill up and down manually is not very controllable though. Is there a quick way to have the servo move the Z axis 0.005" or even better to a certain position? Like typing G0 Z1.25 in a normal machine.
I have read the manual but the closest thing that I can find is going to the Do One menu and doing a position event, this is not handy.
Even doing X and Y moves is not super handy, I end up jogging the axis with the up down keys and getting to position with the handwheels.
There has to be a better way.

It is frustrating to me that there isn't a better CNC/manual bedmill with a quill tailored to putting holes accurately in plates, in the end the manual Bridgeport is usually faster and more pleasant to use.

short answer is no. this is one of the many reasons these machines are frustrating. even on the newest controls when you use the GOTO function you input the location and then have to manually wheel until it stops. I have always found these machines to be a poor stop gap between manual and conventional CNC.

If I was smart enough I would make an interface for LinuxCNC that would have all the features I want in a cnc/manual bedmill
-homes like a real CNC machine
-has a tool table and offsets that is flexible and intuitive like LinuxCNC
-uses feedback from scales
-has a scale on the quill that works like it does on the prototrak
-has a goto screen the lets you easily rapid to a position
-has a handwheel for each axis
-lets you run gcode like a normal cnc machine (I like the Linuxcnc variant, its easy to have variables and do loops etc.)
-has a nice onboard editor that works like on a PC with a normal keyboard (the linuxCNC one is nice)
-lets you move files around like a normal computer
-let you see the simulation of the toolpath with by referencing the CAM file directly so it looks just like Solidworks

It wouldn't take much to modify LinuxCNC to have the best interface for using a CNC mill in prototyping environment, does anyone know someone I could pay to make it happen(ok maybe not the solidworks simulation part)?

With enough money you can pay someone to retrofit anything.
If the scales go to the motor drives and not the controller then this is a cheap and easy retro to a few good cards with software: Eding, Planet, Acorn, etc. Acorn and Eding have scales to card feedback for a bit more- and another level of complexity. It is not really hard- a little time and little frustration with tiny wires- not hard.

Back