Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Finegrain View Post
    When I go visit other shops in the area and watch their 40-taper machines do tool changes, I want to lay down and take a nap .

Regards.

Mike
    I do the same thing when trying to surface with our vm2 over 100 ipm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    I do the same thing when trying to surface with our vm2 over 100 ipm.

Funny thing is: I can't cut an accurate chamfer in my Brother at more than 20ipm

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Funny thing is: I can't cut an accurate chamfer in my Brother at more than 20ipm
    That is a you thing. You just need to turn on the high accuracy modes and program accordingly.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

M280

I chamfer with an 8-flute Harvey double-angle cutter @ 192 IPM.

Regards.

Mike

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

M280

I chamfer with an 8-flute Harvey double-angle cutter @ 192 IPM.

Regards.

Mike
    Plastiks Haas can chamfer at 193...

6. Likes Ox, wheelieking71, empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2outof3 View Post
    That is a you thing. You just need to turn on the high accuracy modes and program accordingly.
    Yea, I know its on me (still annoying)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Plastiks Haas can chamfer at 193...
    I dunno it may, in a straight line.

9. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea, I know its on me (still annoying)
    You should get the V10 firmware, plug in some parameters, and the Speedio now acts like a Haas with regard to high accuracy. With the new system, you can set the machine to automatically run all code in a default accuracy mode- no M codes in the program required.

I’m a little surprised Brother isn’t turning this on from the factory yet. All Speedios should have the new system turned on, dog-leg rapids turned off, and auto thermal turned on when they are delivered.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    You should get the V10 firmware, plug in some parameters, and the Speedio now acts like a Haas with regard to high accuracy. With the new system, you can set the machine to automatically run all code in a default accuracy mode- no M codes in the program required.

I’m a little surprised Brother isn’t turning this on from the factory yet. All Speedios should have the new system turned on, dog-leg rapids turned off, and auto thermal turned on when they are delivered.
    My V8.something has background accuracy codes. I don't use them because it's so easy to tell it to go from grandma to racecar to grandma, but yeah for simple work it's nice to not need to go into the code and add M codes.

I haven't turned thermal on. I don't remember how to get into that. I'd like to get that going. My machine does grow a few thou in Z when it's been running for a while. I don't remember if we disabled dog-leg. Mine hasn't exploded yet.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I go visit other shops in the area and watch their 40-taper machines do tool changes, I want to lay down and take a nap .

Regards.

Mike
    On what, their 1985 YAM's...? Haas toolchange (with a sidemount carousel) is around 3 seconds, a speedio or robodrill'ish 1-1.5 secs. Gee I can almost think what a "oh tools have changed in both machines"...

Don't know Brothers, but ran a robo and yes it is damn fast at 100% rapids 2200ipm. One thing is though, not sure on accell/decel, but those machines are also traveling about half the distance in X/Y at extremes than a "regular" 40 taper is moving (thinking 30-40" in X and 20" in Y). So ya, if you are moving 4" in X and 2" in Y 2200ipm is lightning fast. If you are moving 20" in X and 10" in Y, the comparable (more modern?) 40 taper at 1000 or 1400ipm seems slow....

13. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

See this is something that should be brought up more often IMO (thread is way OT now so.. ). You have to either -

1) adjust parameters in these little 30 tapers to get them to cut right
    2) slow them down if you don't want to do #1
    3) Have to re-think probably everything in programming (more stock on roughing, etc)

Not saying that is necessarily bad, but it should be #2 on salesman list of things to discuss. "Hey we know you run finishing at 50ipm in your xxx machine, but to do that in a Brother you need to program an Mxxx code for accuracy"

15. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So it's great to have so many people thinking "what is a better pull stud design/materiel" , but I still think the pull stud was not the problem. I think it was a machine crash (plain and simple) that broke the pull stud. Has OP been back to discuss further?

17. Likes wheelieking71, JCByrd24, DavidScott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    On what, their 1985 YAM's...? Haas toolchange (with a sidemount carousel) is around 3 seconds, a speedio or robodrill'ish 1-1.5 secs. Gee I can almost think what a "oh tools have changed in both machines"...

Don't know Brothers, but ran a robo and yes it is damn fast at 100% rapids 2200ipm. One thing is though, not sure on accell/decel, but those machines are also traveling about half the distance in X/Y at extremes than a "regular" 40 taper is moving (thinking 30-40" in X and 20" in Y). So ya, if you are moving 4" in X and 2" in Y 2200ipm is lightning fast. If you are moving 20" in X and 10" in Y, the comparable (more modern?) 40 taper at 1000 or 1400ipm seems slow....
    I kinda doubt the Haas chip to chip is as close.

everyone focuses on rapid speed, but it is acceleration that makes the time disappear.

My DMG is a .5 G machine with a 2700 IPM X rapid, and machinists lose their minds when they watch it.

The dynamics of a multi peck countersink look like a ball bouncing.[think of a superball as it devolves to zero height]

I think Speedios are like 2 G. Add in that all it has to do is rapid up zMAX and change.

They are at full rapid in like .05 seconds or some silly crap, while my machine takes a turtle like quarter of a second

Another perspective, you know how an ooooold CNC looks like it stops at the top of a hole or the end of a non interpolated move?

It is not stopping, it is decelerating

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

See this is something that should be brought up more often IMO (thread is way OT now so.. ). You have to either -

1) adjust parameters in these little 30 tapers to get them to cut right
    2) slow them down if you don't want to do #1
    3) Have to re-think probably everything in programming (more stock on roughing, etc)

Not saying that is necessarily bad, but it should be #2 on salesman list of things to discuss. "Hey we know you run finishing at 50ipm in your xxx machine, but to do that in a Brother you need to program an Mxxx code for accuracy"
    EGGFUGGINZACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no damn clue. All I was told was basically: "it will go as fast as you want"

Ahem, as delivered? Hell no.

20. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am running a Kitamura HX-500iG during most days, setting up a new production line/part. It is advertised as the fastest rapids in the world (IIRC for a box way machine?) and lightning fast tool changes. I want to lay down and take a nap when running that machine too. I don't give the slightest of shits about tool change speed. I care about chip to chip. If it takes 30 seconds to get back into the cut, who cares that the tool arm rotated in 0.2 seconds?

In the case of the Kitamura, it takes a while to decelerate the spindle. It has fast rapids, but it never achieves them because it is really sloooow to accelerate. Then it waits for a moment and thinks upon reaching the tool change position, then does the change, then it thinks for a moment and returns to the cut. The advertised 2.3 second (or whatever) tool change time is utterly irrelevant, because realistically it's 7-10 seconds chip to chip. Doesn't seem too bad, but when you're changing lots of tools in a part run, it adds many minutes to cycle time. If you're grabbing a tool from the 200-tool magazine, forget it... 20-30 seconds easily. Yeah, I know you can pre-stage tools, except you can't... because anything over 40IPM requires the high accuracy mode to be on, which flushes the look ahead buffer to avoid parameter writes during look-ahead... which means pre-staging the tool causes the spindle to freeze motion for many seconds while it puts the tool back or retrieves the tool from the library.

It is a joy to run the Speedio. It's so, so fast. For everything. Even probing routines run MUCH faster. It's a great user experience. The only thing I prefer about the Kitamura is the touch screen display.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good grief, what year is that?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SRT Mike View Post
    I am running a Kitamura HX-500iG during most days, setting up a new production line/part. It is advertised as the fastest rapids in the world (IIRC for a box way machine?) and lightning fast tool changes. I want to lay down and take a nap when running that machine too. I don't give the slightest of shits about tool change speed. I care about chip to chip. If it takes 30 seconds to get back into the cut, who cares that the tool arm rotated in 0.2 seconds?

In the case of the Kitamura, it takes a while to decelerate the spindle. It has fast rapids, but it never achieves them because it is really sloooow to accelerate. Then it waits for a moment and thinks upon reaching the tool change position, then does the change, then it thinks for a moment and returns to the cut. The advertised 2.3 second (or whatever) tool change time is utterly irrelevant, because realistically it's 7-10 seconds chip to chip. Doesn't seem too bad, but when you're changing lots of tools in a part run, it adds many minutes to cycle time. If you're grabbing a tool from the 200-tool magazine, forget it... 20-30 seconds easily. Yeah, I know you can pre-stage tools, except you can't... because anything over 40IPM requires the high accuracy mode to be on, which flushes the look ahead buffer to avoid parameter writes during look-ahead... which means pre-staging the tool causes the spindle to freeze motion for many seconds while it puts the tool back or retrieves the tool from the library.

It is a joy to run the Speedio. It's so, so fast. For everything. Even probing routines run MUCH faster. It's a great user experience. The only thing I prefer about the Kitamura is the touch screen display.
    That is as bad as the old Fadal I ran.

24. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

EGGFUGGINZACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no damn clue. All I was told was basically: "it will go as fast as you want"

Ahem, as delivered? Hell no.
    I've been bugging Yamazen for some time now that two things need to happen:

1- Part of the instillation procedure needs to be setting up the new high accuracy stuff, thermal comp, and turning off dog-leg rapids. Andy's crew on the West Coast is pretty proactive on this, but other markets? Not so much.

2- Document a more practical guide to everyday use than what the manuals provide. It would be nice of the Speedio folks had a simple, clear resource for doing common stuff.

I work pretty closely with Andy, and one of the barriers to all this is that the mothership in Kyria keeps upgrading/changing stuff. I had a whole thing set up documenting the differences between Mode A and Mode B/BII, with use guides and parameters, even finagled Autodesk to integrate some logic into their HSM/Fusion post... right as Brother up and installs a much improved, simpler, more standardized High Accuracy setting system. Brother does a great job pushing these machines forward and listening to customers quite intently (see, many of the nice details they've added to the X2 machines), but they do a very poor job documenting things or keeping Yamazen in the loop. It is frustrating when they have 50 applications engineers who all have tremendous knowledge in their heads, but no central database of guidelines/parameters/information that we can all draw from.

So we wind up with situations like this where Brother's old High Accuracy system was a powerful, finicky, obscure thing that many found unusable out of the box without a lot of work. So they fixed it! But didn't bother to give anyone guidance, so people are still under the impression that the system is finicky and complicated and wind up like Wheelie, where they just live with frustration. Literally 5 minutes in front of his machine and I could have his issue solved.

The new machines have things like tool load monitoring, G68.2, Rotary Fixture Offsets, new Inverse Time Feed, and it appears the new M200/M300 even have full 5 axis as an option (the catalog offers "Involute Cutting", which sorta sounds like 5 axis sim to me). If Brother doesn't step up and document this stuff to Yamazen the way they should, all of us (customers, and Yamazen AEs) are going to be stuck reading through clear as mud Japanese manuals trying to figure this all out. That would suck.

26. Likes wheelieking71, barbter, 2outof3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Good grief, what year is that?

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    2019... installed in September, the latest and greatest with Arumatik (Mitsubish M850) control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

?!?! - so, the Kitamura has controller debug mode on and is spewing internal status down a serial line somewhere? Been misconfigured so it thinks it only has 16 bytes of memory?