Close
Login to Your Account
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post

^^^ Made in 2012 by Big K,
    If you'd posted this early on, the whole thread would have been one page long at best...

2. Likes Ox, Matt_Maguire, PegroProX440 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BugRobotics View Post

I love my little Hermle CNC as it fits my workflow nicely and the C-axis table
    What model is this? I didn’t know Hermle made a little 30 taper?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    What model is this? I didn’t know Hermle made a little 30 taper?
    It's a 40 taper Hermle 851 UWF.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Unahorn View Post
    Neither does my Matsuuras, Kitamura, or Doosan. They will both round corners with out the right codes in place.
    See, but Haas won't. AND there a whole lot of Haas users here. Either started their shop with one, or worked at a shop with one. Kind of like driving a sports car vs regular car. If you were used to driving a camry/accord/ford your whole life, (knowing/being "ingrained" with what flooring one of those does and slamming on the brakes, etc) and all of a sudden you bought a McLaren... well you can see where I am going I hope LoL.

Another thing, no one is disputing an Mcode is hard to implement, but when you don't know you need an Mcode is the problem (which i am sure everyone that has perused this thread knows by now).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    When I was looking for a home shop machine, I had to choose between an RMC55 and the 30 taper Mori TV30. I am really glad to have gone with the Mori because of the toolchanger and full enclosure. Even though I'm not doing a volume production (20 pcs is a huge batch size for the things I make), it is so handy to let the machine run and have time to do other stuff. Standing at the machine and tending tools is the least enjoyable part of making things IMO.
    You made the right choice. The lack of full enclosure is also a downside to the RMC55.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    See, but Haas won't. AND there a whole lot of Haas users here. Either started their shop with one, or worked at a shop with one. Kind of like driving a sports car vs regular car. If you were used to driving a camry/accord/ford your whole life, (knowing/being "ingrained" with what flooring one of those does and slamming on the brakes, etc) and all of a sudden you bought a McLaren... well you can see where I am going I hope LoL.

Another thing, no one is disputing an Mcode is hard to implement, but when you don't know you need an Mcode is the problem (which i am sure everyone that has perused this thread knows by now).
    It is a fair point, but it is also true that Brother is actively responding to this concern on a level I think no other MTB ever would.

They built these machines as race cars, for Apple scale customers to buy by the literal boatload and tune for their exact needs. The whole job shop/competing against Haas market is quite literally a new development for Brother as an enterprise. We’re taking 4 years since Drinkwater put these in a garage and got people to see what these machines can do?

In that time, Brother has:
    - Reconfigured the entire High Accuracy system to operate more like every other CNC mill
    - Increased program size/processing
    - Dramatically improved thermal comp
    - Added inverse time feed
    - Added tool load monitoring
    - Added rotary work offsets/G68.1

All of this through firmware updates, the level and quality of which are unprecedented in this industry. You think DMG Mori or Okuma is making people’s 3 year old machines better by plugging a USB stick in them for free?

Brother is responding at a level and speed no other MTB does to this market. Even so, it doesn’t move as fast or as cleanly as we wish. It is also a matter of users keeping up with the changes- the entire High Accuracy criticism in this thread has bee 100% solved.

8. Likes 2outof3, TeachMePlease, DethloffMfg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    They built these machines as race cars, for Apple scale customers to buy by the literal boatload and tune for their exact needs. The whole job shop/competing against Haas market is quite literally a new development for Brother as an enterprise. We’re taking 4 years since Drinkwater put these in a garage and got people to see what these machines can do?
    This is a good analogy, 25 yrs ago I used to drive an '82 subaru wagon (great car, btw) BUT it was not good to take girls out in so I found a t-bird super coupe and tool it for a test drive. Stuck behind a group of slow cars going through a great windy road.... so windy road ends at freeway on ramp, it is a pretty step up hill on-ranp so I treated the super coupe like the subuaru, floor it & shift, floor it & shift, floor it & shift, floor it & shift, until 5th gear. Well the super coupe has a shit ton more power than the the glorified wv pancake engine so by the time I was merging on to the freeway I had to stand o the brakes to match the speed of the cars so I could merge on. The onramp was not long but I was pushing 100 before getting to the end.
    Took car to a body shop where my friend worked and his worker remembered putting a gallon of bondo on the drivers side of that car so I did not buy it...
    But it was fast

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    This is a good analogy, 25 yrs ago I used to drive an '82 subaru wagon (great car, btw) BUT it was not good to take girls out in so I found a t-bird super coupe and tool it for a test drive. Stuck behind a group of slow cars going through a great windy road.... so windy road ends at freeway on ramp, it is a pretty step up hill on-ranp so I treated the super coupe like the subuaru, floor it & shift, floor it & shift, floor it & shift, floor it & shift, until 5th gear. Well the super coupe has a shit ton more power than the the glorified wv pancake engine so by the time I was merging on to the freeway I had to stand o the brakes to match the speed of the cars so I could merge on. The onramp was not long but I was pushing 100 before getting to the end.
    Took car to a body shop where my friend worked and his worker remembered putting a gallon of bondo on the drivers side of that car so I did not buy it...
    But it was fast
    Huh?????????

11. Likes litlerob1, Rob F., Ox, DavidScott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2outof3 View Post
    Huh?????????
    He's being quite clear - Brother should stop using Bondo to make its pull studs. This is why they fail after only a few thousand cycles.

At least, that's how I interpreted his post. That, or the mushrooms have kicked in...

13. Likes Rob F., 2outof3, Ox, barbter, DethloffMfg and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry guys. I tried to quote the racecar analogy.
    Was trying to say that the machines are fast and should not be treated the same as an older slower machine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Sorry guys. I tried to quote the racecar analogy.
    Was trying to say that the machines are fast and should not be treated the same as an older slower machine.
    Don't you dare touch it. it is a classic just like it is.

16. Likes Ox, BugRobotics, charlie gary liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

<<<All of this through firmware updates, the level and quality of which are unprecedented in this industry. You think DMG Mori or Okuma is making people’s 3 year old machines better by plugging a USB stick in them for free?>>>

That is very interesting to hear, I have (2) 3 year old Speedios.

Are you saying I just need to call them and they will come upgrade my software for free?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    You missed what I said, if your only selling point is being faster, (which is what you implied) someone else will soon be faster than you and take your work. I'm talking about offering a service that no one else can or will. We make a ton of money and it has nothing to do making parts fast, it is filling a niche market.
    There is no such thing as something no one else can do.

When some one finds a way to do your special work faster than you, they will take your work

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to be so late to this party. When this happened on an S1000 at the old day job we sent everything (tool holder, stud parts, and tool) back to Frank and the heat treat and metallurgy were found to be correct. The broken area looked identical to the pictures here, though ours was a TSC unit. Based on our experience, we believe that the tool holder pulled out enough for clearance to form around the taper, and THEN the pull stud snapped when the side load tried to fold it in half.

We had a second (less catastrophic because I caught it with the e-stop) pull out with a similar tool and toolpath a few weeks later on the same machine where the tool pulled out enough to jump the face of the holder onto the drive dogs but still held on. That one took a bit for the Yamazen folks to get out due to the cam type system that only allows the studs to disengage within a certain range of Z-axis motion. The pullout occurred at the end of the cut and I saw it pop out when the tool was not actually cutting anymore (but obviously still vibrating from the cut). Had there been side load on it I guarantee we would have broken another stud and dropped the tool (and maybe eaten another spindle).

I lost the emails back and forth with Frank when I left the old job, or I'd post the feeds and speeds that screwed up ours.

Of course we were not using dual contact holders for any of this. Que Lastima...

20. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    All of this through firmware updates, the level and quality of which are unprecedented in this industry. You think DMG Mori or Okuma is making people’s 3 year old machines better by plugging a USB stick in them for free?
    Maybe the three you mentioned (and maybe others) come configured from the factory where they don’t need to be updated.

Is every brother owner getting this USB stick free, or do they have to request it?

As probably 95% of Brother owners aren’t visiting here (or other forums) how are they going to know that this might be available. Or are they suffering in silence trying to figure why they have to drop the feedrate way down to cut a feature accurately, not knowing there is a solution they can implement?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Maybe the three you mentioned (and maybe others) come configured from the factory where they don’t need to be updated.

Is every brother owner getting this USB stick free, or do they have to request it?

As probably 95% of Brother owners aren’t visiting here (or other forums) how are they going to know that this might be available. Or are they suffering in silence trying to figure why they have to drop the feedrate way down to cut a feature accurately, not knowing there is a solution they can implement?
    You do not need firmware to stop cutting corners. An existing user already pointed this out in this thread (see the post by finegrain).You just have to use the machine as you purchased it. That includes reading the manuals and learning how to run your machine. We have gone through most of our West coast users and updated software as we see them. The new firmware just adds an additional benefit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The beginning was a bit frustrating for me. But Yamazen supported and helped me to dial the accuracy modes. I cannot be happier with them.

I don't have a clue what version I have in my S700, but everything is working great. Yamazen provided me the Version 11 a few weeks ago to try it. My only purpose to move to the new version is to simplify my post removing all the M2## calls, and the programs removing resting operations for corner clipping.

So if Yamazen doesn't hear from 95% of Brother owners, is because they're happy. No news are good news.

I don't want to open a can of worms, but if you watch your spindle load and have a decent pull stud replacement schedule, pull stud failure, is the thing you have to less worry about with these machines.

For the record, I'm using NT pull studs, recommended by Yamazen (maybe because they sell them). They aren't cheap but zero issues so far. No ball marks or any other anomalies.

24. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post

Ever update firmware and drivers on your computer? Rarely do you get notified that new versions are available.

26. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    Ever update firmware and drivers on your computer? Rarely do you get notified that new versions are available.
    Microsoft only updates software. And only when I am late, trying to leave with my laptop to a meeting. In a hotel room. With shitty Wi-Fi.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2outof3 View Post
    Microsoft only updates software. And only when I am late, trying to leave with my laptop to a meeting. In a hotel room. With shitty Wi-Fi.
    Well, they do offer drivers too, god forbid. Sometimes they will even replace your drivers with theirs, it has happened to me on my video card.