Pull Stud Broke - Brother Spindle Trashed - Page 26
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After Microsoft pinging me several times to update to 10 from my 7 machine, and me telling M/S to bugger off each time, I came in the office one day to find them dooing it w/o my permission. I think it ran OK for a while like that, and then they did an automatic update to the newly loaded 10, and then the tower pretty much locked up I think.

Dump and reload - back to 7 this time, and I now have the parameter asking about "checking for updates automatically" set to "If you doo I will kill you", and life's been fine ever since.

My wife lost a smart phone a cpl yrs ago to an update the night before she was to head to DFW/Brownsville on business. Locked up tight, and we had to go buy a new one at O'Dark:30 at night so that she could go.

I hate updates.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by joesimmers View Post
    Are you saying I just need to call them and they will come upgrade my software for free?
    They should. If they insist on charging you for a service call, remind them that lots of west coast users just have Andy's apps guys send them a link to download it. There is nothing technical about a firmware update (the file includes a PDF direct from Brother with instructions, it is very easy).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wonder if the op is gonna come back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope not.
    After 26 pages, I'm hope'in that the thread dies soon.

We could start talking about taxidermy yet I s'pose.
    We haven't touched that yet have we?
    (While we wait for test results of course)

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

5. Likes Pete Deal, VTM liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Maybe the three you mentioned (and maybe others) come configured from the factory where they don’t need to be updated.

Is every brother owner getting this USB stick free, or do they have to request it?

As probably 95% of Brother owners aren’t visiting here (or other forums) how are they going to know that this might be available. Or are they suffering in silence trying to figure why they have to drop the feedrate way down to cut a feature accurately, not knowing there is a solution they can implement?
    Yeah the updates are free. If a Brother owner didn't know about the updates it wouldn't be a big deal, they would be working with a good machine already. These machines keep getting better with the updates.

My machine was installed in January of this year. It has version 8 software. Now version 11 is out. That is how frequently these things get updates, and these are major revision firmware updates with big changes, not little stuff. My machine has been so good with v8 I haven't been yearning to even do the simple update process, but next time I do some product development I'll update to v11. Once you're at v8 or higher you've really got the big benefits of simplified High Accuracy codes. Everything else is adding more cherries to the top. Some guys benefit a ton from the inverse time feed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I hope not.
    After 26 pages, I'm hope'in that the thread dies soon.

We could start talking about taxidermy yet I s'pose.
    We haven't touched that yet have we?
    (While we wait for test results of course)

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    This thread is a taxidermy of his pull stud.

8. Likes Ox, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    After Microsoft pinging me several times to update to 10 from my 7 machine, and me telling M/S to bugger off each time, I came in the office one day to find them dooing it w/o my permission. I think it ran OK for a while like that, and then they did an automatic update to the newly loaded 10, and then the tower pretty much locked up I think.

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Don't you have a son for that IT support? It is a confusing world but that's why you bought him books and sent him to school.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure that he's the one that showed me where to set it to NOT check for updates.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DethloffMfg View Post
    Yeah the updates are free. If a Brother owner didn't know about the updates it wouldn't be a big deal, they would be working with a good machine already. These machines keep getting better with the updates.

My machine was installed in January of this year. It has version 8 software. Now version 11 is out. That is how frequently these things get updates, and these are major revision firmware updates with big changes, not little stuff. My machine has been so good with v8 I haven't been yearning to even do the simple update process, but next time I do some product development I'll update to v11. Once you're at v8 or higher you've really got the big benefits of simplified High Accuracy codes. Everything else is adding more cherries to the top. Some guys benefit a ton from the inverse time feed.
    Relax there cowboy, they are good machines but definitely not the panacea of milling machines.