What's new
What's new

Pump recommendations for Coolant tank cleaning?

Dylad

Aluminum
We have a few 80's machines that have hard to reach integrated coolant reservoirs that are a major pain to completely drain and clean yearly. Currently, we use a small 12v pump that an employee graciously brings in, and pump the tank contents into barrels. It doesn't do so great, especially when it hits pockets of way oil. What do you smaller shop guys use for this? I wanted to get a small wall plug unit I could keep sitting on a cart with a barrel.

I turn on the coolant and empty it into 5 gal. buckets til it stops pumping. Then I suck the rest out with a shop vac. I also use a shop rag taped to a pc of flat stock to wipe around in the areas I can't reach by hand.

Depending on how big the access is, a submersible pond pump might work. They are designed to be somewhat tolerant of debris.

"http://www.exair.com/index.php/products/industrial-housekeeping/rev-drum-vac/dv-sys.html"
Sucks up any kind of coolant, and chips/swarf won't harm it.

What you really need is a sump vac or sump sucker. I've got one from Eriez. Its basically an industrial shop vac that filters chips from the coolant. You suck up the coolant and chips out of a machine, then you can transfer the coolant, sans chips, to another machine or a recycling center.

Eriez and Cecor are nice but a little expensive. Exair chip trapper is a budget version that uses a 55gal drum.

Air Sump Cleaner 6 Gallon for Cleaning Smaller Sumps

Chip Trapper by EXAIR

I've got the 50gal version from Eriez.

Eriez HydroFlow - Sump Cleaners

Back