What's new
What's new

Q setter broke on Hitachi Seiki 20S II , help with how to set manual X tool offset

Berly

Plastic
I have recently purchased a use Hitachi Seiki 20S II with Seiki Multi controller only to discover the Q Setter is broken. I am able to set the Z offsets off the chuck the same way I do with the Fanuc OT on an old Leadwell lathe. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Have taken a cut and measured and inputted into X tool offset, but not even close. Thanks.

I can't help directly, but there is likely a parameter in your controller that stores an X offset to allow for the presetter position relative to either machine home, or the spindle centerline. If that parameter is still active because it thinks the presetter is still present, it is going to keep adding (or subtracting) a fixed amount from your direct measurement. Write that parameter info down in case you get around to fixing the thing. and then try zeroing that value.

It is possible that the machine home for X may be some nonsensical value (relative to the turret position). I fooled around extensively with my Mits controller to make that machine home position correspond to the real position of my master tool T1. Since I don't have a presetter, I prefer to have the displays for machine position to be meaningful in some small way. Then I could reckon all my tool offsets relative to T1 which basically stays at zero except for tip wear.

It may be worthy of note that if you get to changing some of these parameters, you have to reboot the controller to have the changes take effect.

Its been a long time but here goes,Call tool up in to position an zero return.Read what the home position dimension is in Xaxis on you position screen and write it down,take a cut on the od of a piece of material,measure and subtract this number from the home position number. Input this number into the X column on your geometry page..Back tool off in z and index all the way around your turret,When you get back to your tool the screen should read correctly.Let me know if I was right its been like 15 years!

Back