What's new
What's new

Quad Lead Thread Trouble

441Sky

Plastic
Looking for info to tap a 8-32 Quad Lead H3 into 303 stainless. (Drill size, speed and feed per rev) on our Mazak Multi 610. Taps keep braking on contact at .125 per rev.

Thanks

Yes the hole is chamfered and using a floating holder. Looking for 40% thread to a loose fit.

Looking for info to tap a 8-32 Quad Lead H3 into 303 stainless. (Drill size, speed and feed per rev) on our Mazak Multi 610. Taps keep braking on contact at .125 per rev.

Thanks

Thread milling sounds like it would be easier.

I don't think a 4 start #8 thread could be thread milled. Seems the thread form would be all wonky because the lead is too high.

Not sure how it would look. I guess when I’m not sure how a tap will work I hand tap the first hole and see how it feels then decide on feed n speed. It would be nice if there was a #8-8 tap then you could rigid tap to depth 4 times and bump the R plane up 1/32 each time and drop the Z the same amount.

Not sure how it would look. I guess when I’m not sure how a tap will work I hand tap the first hole and see how it feels then decide on feed n speed. It would be nice if there was a #8-8 tap then you could rigid tap to depth 4 times and bump the R plane up 1/32 each time and drop the Z the same amount.

So, I had a stupid idea, and then a less dumb one. But someone with a bit more experience boring threads would have to chime in about it.

Why not single point the thread? with such a coarse pitch you'd have to have a threading bar that was relieved underneath the cutting face so it didn't rub. But this is basically what you'd do if it was a "normal size" and not a tiny ass thread.

But my stupid idea (maybe not so stupid!?) would be to take the same tap that you're breaking, grind off all but one of the flutes off of it, and use THAT as a "single point tool" with a threading cycle. At the very least, the required clearance should be ground well enough into the tap.

Thoughts?

Why not single point the thread?
Not necessarily but probably, the angle is going to be too steep. In a lathe you can tilt the tool over far enough so it doesn't rub on the thread and run it though along the thread but in a mill, it has to rotate around the spindle axis while making the thread, so probably going to have severe interference problems on the heel.

But one could always try ...

Tap seems the easiest to me.

Why not single point the thread? with such a coarse pitch you'd have to have a threading bar that was relieved underneath the cutting face so it didn't rub.

It would have a tiny little shank.. If everything was perfect, the biggest the shank could
be is .115.. probably end up around .090" for clearance. It would just be miserable..

On the tap idea, you would have to lose a lot of the tap. Not just grind the teeth off.

I also wonder what would happen on the deceleration on the end of the thread? Would
the Z feed slow down enough to bind the tap before retracting. Also.. The decleration
wouldn't happen on just the last thread, it would happen on all of them, and probably make
a big mess.

Only one way to deal with a thread like this.... No Quote.

Edit: Thanx to threadpal. 15.476 degree lead angle.

Not necessarily but probably, the angle is going to be too steep. In a lathe you can tilt the tool over far enough so it doesn't rub on the thread and run it though along the thread but in a mill, it has to rotate around the spindle axis while making the thread, so probably going to have severe interference problems on the heel.

But one could always try ...

Tap seems the easiest to me.

But I thought a Mazak multi 610 was a lathe?

It would have a tiny little shank.. If everything was perfect, the biggest the shank could
be is .115.. probably end up around .090" for clearance. It would just be miserable..

Another question to the OP: how deep are you trying to go? a .090 bar doesn't seem like it would be too bad if it was a quarter inch or less deep. (I say that, having no experience with a bar that small, and little experience on a cnc lathe)

At least it is 303 and not 304 or worse.

Back