Quad Lead Thread Trouble
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Quad Lead Thread Trouble

    Looking for info to tap a 8-32 Quad Lead H3 into 303 stainless. (Drill size, speed and feed per rev) on our Mazak Multi 610. Taps keep braking on contact at .125 per rev.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,050
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    756
    Likes (Received)
    1246

    Default

    Do you chamfer before tapping? Rigid or floating holder? What percentage of thread are you shooting for?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hatch, NM Chile capital of the WORLD
    Posts
    9,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16888
    Likes (Received)
    12045

    Default

    Are you running a 10-32 tap, and just trying to feed it 4 times as fast?

  4. Likes Dan from Oakland, TeachMePlease, Gobo liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Se Ma USA
    Posts
    2,321
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    187
    Likes (Received)
    1275

    Default

    Maybe just me but??? #8 diameter and 4 start thread? Where does 8/32 come from?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Yes the hole is chamfered and using a floating holder. Looking for 40% thread to a loose fit.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    4,650
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    14088
    Likes (Received)
    5694

    Default

    What tap, specifically, did you buy? Give us the part number and/or a link to the website.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,050
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    756
    Likes (Received)
    1246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 441Sky View Post
    Yes the hole is chamfered and using a floating holder. Looking for 40% thread to a loose fit.
    If you can rigid tap, that is preferable.

  9. Likes mhajicek liked this post
  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    4,650
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    14088
    Likes (Received)
    5694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Are you running a 10-32 tap, and just trying to feed it 4 times as fast?
    It never would have even occurred to me to ask that question... But once you brought it up...

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 441Sky View Post
    Looking for info to tap a 8-32 Quad Lead H3 into 303 stainless. (Drill size, speed and feed per rev) on our Mazak Multi 610. Taps keep braking on contact at .125 per rev.

    Thanks
    Thread milling sounds like it would be easier.

  12. Likes Gobo liked this post
  13. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    1,069
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    75
    Likes (Received)
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPrairie View Post
    Thread milling sounds like it would be easier.
    I don't think a 4 start #8 thread could be thread milled. Seems the thread form would be all wonky because the lead is too high.

  14. Likes mhajicek, Bobw, Dan from Oakland liked this post
  15. #11
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3126
    Likes (Received)
    1648

    Default

    +1 on the rigid tap. I bet the floating holder has too much give for that steep lead.

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,903
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1232
    Likes (Received)
    2041

    Default

    I would love to see a pic of this tap.

  17. Likes Dan from Oakland, doug925 liked this post
  18. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,050
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    756
    Likes (Received)
    1246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrummerman21 View Post
    I don't think a 4 start #8 thread could be thread milled. Seems the thread form would be all wonky because the lead is too high.
    Your right. I forgot about the4 start.

  19. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canandaigua, NY, USA
    Posts
    3,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    181
    Likes (Received)
    1777

    Default

    All the nuts for things like that I've seen have been molded. I can't imagine how a tap could work. It would be more like broaching with a twist!

  20. Likes Bobw, doug925 liked this post
  21. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrummerman21 View Post
    I don't think a 4 start #8 thread could be thread milled. Seems the thread form would be all wonky because the lead is too high.
    Not sure how it would look. I guess when I’m not sure how a tap will work I hand tap the first hole and see how it feels then decide on feed n speed. It would be nice if there was a #8-8 tap then you could rigid tap to depth 4 times and bump the R plane up 1/32 each time and drop the Z the same amount.

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    1,069
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    75
    Likes (Received)
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPrairie View Post
    Not sure how it would look. I guess when I’m not sure how a tap will work I hand tap the first hole and see how it feels then decide on feed n speed. It would be nice if there was a #8-8 tap then you could rigid tap to depth 4 times and bump the R plane up 1/32 each time and drop the Z the same amount.
    So, I had a stupid idea, and then a less dumb one. But someone with a bit more experience boring threads would have to chime in about it.


    Why not single point the thread? with such a coarse pitch you'd have to have a threading bar that was relieved underneath the cutting face so it didn't rub. But this is basically what you'd do if it was a "normal size" and not a tiny ass thread.


    But my stupid idea (maybe not so stupid!?) would be to take the same tap that you're breaking, grind off all but one of the flutes off of it, and use THAT as a "single point tool" with a threading cycle. At the very least, the required clearance should be ground well enough into the tap.


    Thoughts?

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    9,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrummerman21 View Post
    Why not single point the thread?
    Not necessarily but probably, the angle is going to be too steep. In a lathe you can tilt the tool over far enough so it doesn't rub on the thread and run it though along the thread but in a mill, it has to rotate around the spindle axis while making the thread, so probably going to have severe interference problems on the heel.

    But one could always try ...

    Tap seems the easiest to me.

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hatch, NM Chile capital of the WORLD
    Posts
    9,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16888
    Likes (Received)
    12045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrummerman21 View Post


    Why not single point the thread? with such a coarse pitch you'd have to have a threading bar that was relieved underneath the cutting face so it didn't rub.
    It would have a tiny little shank.. If everything was perfect, the biggest the shank could
    be is .115.. probably end up around .090" for clearance. It would just be miserable..

    On the tap idea, you would have to lose a lot of the tap. Not just grind the teeth off.

    I also wonder what would happen on the deceleration on the end of the thread? Would
    the Z feed slow down enough to bind the tap before retracting. Also.. The decleration
    wouldn't happen on just the last thread, it would happen on all of them, and probably make
    a big mess.

    Only one way to deal with a thread like this.... No Quote.

    Edit: Thanx to threadpal. 15.476 degree lead angle.

  25. Likes Dan from Oakland liked this post
  26. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    1,069
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    75
    Likes (Received)
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Not necessarily but probably, the angle is going to be too steep. In a lathe you can tilt the tool over far enough so it doesn't rub on the thread and run it though along the thread but in a mill, it has to rotate around the spindle axis while making the thread, so probably going to have severe interference problems on the heel.

    But one could always try ...

    Tap seems the easiest to me.
    But I thought a Mazak multi 610 was a lathe?


    Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    It would have a tiny little shank.. If everything was perfect, the biggest the shank could
    be is .115.. probably end up around .090" for clearance. It would just be miserable..
    Another question to the OP: how deep are you trying to go? a .090 bar doesn't seem like it would be too bad if it was a quarter inch or less deep. (I say that, having no experience with a bar that small, and little experience on a cnc lathe)

    At least it is 303 and not 304 or worse.

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    18889
    Likes (Received)
    4583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dandrummerman21 View Post
    But I thought a Mazak multi 610 was a lathe?
    Live tool lathe.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •