Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Volitan View Post
    Thanks all - 250C coming monday to try on one machine.
    Tried to finagle a free pail like some of you but I guess I don't have the chops to pull it off
    Free coolant is a dealer's incentive for you. I called Qualichem and got my local rep's number. Spoke with him for a bit to get the right coolant picked, he offered a free test and figured out how much I was going to need to fill my tank. He sent me to my local distributor and authorized them to give me a free pail.

Beyond a free bucket of coolant I gained a great tooling supplier that I use any time I can.

2. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You guys mind telling me what % you're running this stuff (250C) at?

They say 4-12% for machining, so I started at 8% and the tool life has really taken a nose dive vs. the crud-leaving S-500 we were running.
    I switched coolant on this machine mid-job so I'm getting an apples to apples comparison.

We're opening up an existing slot in steel with a 1/4" endmill. I would go 3-4 days without changing a cutter not it's one a day, or maybe less.

Obviously I'll bump it up at least to get through the 2 gallons I bought but I don't think I'll see a 300% improvement. Maybe I will. I dunno...
    Also it leaves your hands a little sticky when it dries, is that normal for this stuff or semi-synthetics maybe in general?

yikes

*edit*
    correction, it's at 9%

4. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You guys mind telling me what % you're running this stuff (250C) at?

They say 4-12% for machining, so I started at 8% and the tool life has really taken a nose dive vs. the crud-leaving S-500 we were running.
    I switched coolant on this machine mid-job so I'm getting an apples to apples comparison.

We're opening up an existing slot in steel with a 1/4" endmill. I would go 3-4 days without changing a cutter not it's one a day, or maybe less.

Obviously I'll bump it up at least to get through the 2 gallons I bought but I don't think I'll see a 300% improvement. Maybe I will. I dunno...
    Also it leaves your hands a little sticky when it dries, is that normal for this stuff or semi-synthetics maybe in general?

yikes

*edit*
    correction, it's at 9%

I run 251c at 7-8% and it’s not bad worked ok even form tapping 316 stainless. But I mostly use it in alluminum.

6. Likes Volitan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post
    I run 251c at 7-8% and it’s not bad worked ok even form tapping 316 stainless. But I mostly use it in alluminum.
    I was told I'll be happier with 251C so we're returning the unopened 250C and getting that one.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was told I'll be happier with 251C so we're returning the unopened 250C and getting that one.
    From what I was told the 250c and 251c are almost the same just 251c wasn’t allow for aerospace stuff and it is better for stainless. Don’t quote me but i think it has chlorine additives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Hmmm, 12%? Really?
    I try to keep it near 8-10%. I can usually tell when its getting low, because face mill will act up (90% aluminum here).
    Super obvious in lathe when weak.
    Unless cutting SAPPA in lathe. Then its orange-peel city, shit finish fest! no matter how strong its mixed.
    Man, this was both comforting to hear and pissed me off greatly at the same time. I too have to run SAPPA in the lathe or the material comes out with a terrible surface finish. Orange peel BAD damn parts have the texture of a golf ball. I too run Qualichem 250. I too get grey sticky shit all over my lathe. I had the rep from Star come out, and I'm a little shop. So of course, everything is 100% my fault.

I just ordered a new machine and was at the HFO the other day, they are using Qualichem in all their machines. So i looked in the sumps and sure enough they looked like shit. These are new machines in a showroom. Very little is ever cut on these things. Coolant was separate and had brown crap floating.

I thought i was either crazy, or a damned idiot. Imagine my surprise when i see someone having all my same problems, and is from Arizona to boot. I don't know if its the water out here or what. But I'm not going to risk it. Im done with Qualichem and won't be running it my new machine. Microsol seems to be taking over a lot of the shops that were once Qualichem out here. So maybe thats worth a shot?

I just wanted to toss my .02 in. I have every problem Wheelie described, and i had Star making every excuse under the sun pointing the finger of blame at me. They might be great to you guys, but i won't buy from them in the future. There sales rep did a few other shitty things unrelated to this that urked me at the time. But all i really care about is results....and my results were poor. Ive been use 250 for the past 3 years, and honestly it sucks. i keep it at 7% mixture.

If any arizona people want to weigh in with what theyve switched too, id love to hear it. p.s. i am in Peoria, other side of the world from mesa. different water, same issues.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kawgomoo View Post
    Man, this was both comforting to hear and pissed me off greatly at the same time. I too have to run SAPPA in the lathe or the material comes out with a terrible surface finish. Orange peel BAD damn parts have the texture of a golf ball. I too run Qualichem 250. I too get grey sticky shit all over my lathe. I had the rep from Star come out, and I'm a little shop. So of course, everything is 100% my fault.

I just ordered a new machine and was at the HFO the other day, they are using Qualichem in all their machines. So i looked in the sumps and sure enough they looked like shit. These are new machines in a showroom. Very little is ever cut on these things. Coolant was separate and had brown crap floating.

I thought i was either crazy, or a damned idiot. Imagine my surprise when i see someone having all my same problems, and is from Arizona to boot. I don't know if its the water out here or what. But I'm not going to risk it. Im done with Qualichem and won't be running it my new machine. Microsol seems to be taking over a lot of the shops that were once Qualichem out here. So maybe thats worth a shot?

I just wanted to toss my .02 in. I have every problem Wheelie described, and i had Star making every excuse under the sun pointing the finger of blame at me. They might be great to you guys, but i won't buy from them in the future. There sales rep did a few other shitty things unrelated to this that urked me at the time. But all i really care about is results....and my results were poor. Ive been use 250 for the past 3 years, and honestly it sucks. i keep it at 7% mixture.

If any arizona people want to weigh in with what theyve switched too, id love to hear it. p.s. i am in Peoria, other side of the world from mesa. different water, same issues.
    Ive been using that supplier since the early 90's, same problems (posted above)but will say the last 8 months have been great , no problems waiting till summer comes LMAO.
    i'm in your area on west side also. I wont change due to the service I get from the guys at star, going to run a ro system this year

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Qualichem 250C acting differently?

I once was a satisfied Qualichem user (it’s made just a couple hours up I-81, and the salesman is really cool), but due to deteriorating performance, I now use Castrol Syntillo 9974.

A full synthetic designed for heavy-duty machining of ferrous alloys, it is the best coolant I’ve used in 22 years here at the shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Watch for Rust with Syntilo, a few members on here had horrible experiences with it, and that's why I stayed away from it. Supposed to be good otherwise, but nothing will make me put up with rust.

I'm still using Fuchs 7830C but will probably try their 711C once I run out just to see how the 2 compare.

13. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ran Syntilo 2000 in my QT lathe and had it at 5%. No rust problems at all. But it did form some sort of oil-sludge.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post
    From what I was told the 250c and 251c are almost the same just 251c wasn’t allow for aerospace stuff and it is better for stainless. Don’t quote me but i think it has chlorine additives.
    The 251 appears to be the same base as the 250 but with an additional additive package in it. Neither is chlorinated according to the SDS and technical datasheets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I switched to 250 at the end of last year and so far I am not impressed. The machines stay cleaner on the inside but tool life is down and a couple of machines have started stinking if left alone for more than a day. The machines and tooling are also get a build up of some waxy crap. Unless something changes I am going back to Hangsterfers S-500. It is messy but we never had a stink problem out of it and tool life was good. Hope they have not got it jacked up like a lot of the others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Switched a machine over to 251C the other day. The odor reminds me of a fresh urinal cake in a public restroom. Can anyone confirm that or is something wrong here?
    It's not strong or even offensive, but it has that fake perfumey-ish scent. Anyone else?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

rowrw
    Switched a machine over to 251C the other day. The odor reminds me of a fresh urinal cake in a public restroom. Can anyone confirm that or is something wrong here?
    It's not strong or even offensive, but it has that fake perfumey-ish scent. Anyone else?
    Yes it has some fragrance soapy type smell added to it.