What's new
What's new

Qualichem 355D and problems Tapping HELP!!!!!!!!!!

hardrockxd

Plastic
Hello all, about 7 months ago I switched my VF-4 to Qualichem 355D full synthetic coolant. I was originally going to go with Synergy 735 but the VP of my company wanted to try Qualichem because it was drastically cheaper. I love being able to see my parts while machining due to the coolant being practically clear. Surface finishes and tool life have been amazing. But one area has not been amazing and actually down right frustrating; Tapping. Before the switch I was running Qualichem 250C and never had any issues tapping. But this synthetic coolant doesnt tap as well and its preventing me from switching to this coolant completely in all machines. Ive tried applying tapping fluid before tapping but that cuts down on the unattended machining and is not an option. Im either getting a lot of build up on the tap or it downright just locks up and breaks. Im running between 6-8 brix as far as coolant concentration. Im hoping someone else on here has encountered this issue and found a fix. I dont want to go back to milky white coolant but I may be forced to if I cant figure out this tapping issue.

Try running the coolant richer. Also I would try different taps and different coatings to see if you can find a good combination. I would try richer coolant first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was told by the distributer to try 250C semi synthetic do to full synthetic not having as hi of a lubricity to it ,,, well I do mostly alum I get great threads from the 250C and have one 3/8-16 tap that is over 35K holes and is still cutting nice clean threads ... I would say switch back to 250C

On a side note
The first machine I put 250C has not had the coolant changed in just under 5 years ,, I suck it out and filter it and clean the sump about every 6 months and put the old coolant right back in ,,, it looks and works just line new ,,

I switched to 355D because Im running a 5 axis mill. With the 250C I cant see a thing thats going on in my machine. Especially if Im using TSC. Im not asking for advice to switch back, Im trying to solve this problem and keep the coolant I have. I have noticed using TiN coated taps makes a huge difference, but finding TiN coated STI form taps has been a nightmare.

I switched to 355D because Im running a 5 axis mill. With the 250C I cant see a thing thats going on in my machine. Especially if Im using TSC. Im not asking for advice to switch back, Im trying to solve this problem and keep the coolant I have. I have noticed using TiN coated taps makes a huge difference, but finding TiN coated STI form taps has been a nightmare.

Did you stay with the 355D?

Back