What's new
What's new

Question on Drilling SS Without Thru Spindle Coolant

munruh

Hot Rolled
The thru the spindle coolant pump went out on one of the mills and it looks like I'm going to have to wait 4 weeks for it to come in. I have a bunch of 304 SS parts between .750-1.06 inches thick to drill .344 and .266 holes into. I'll be using Walter carbide drills, but am not going to have the thru the spindle coolant. Would there be any input on what I should change on the parameters? Peck--how much? Slow feed down or not?

I wouldn't peck,at the most I would use a chip break cycle in depth increments of 1xd. Same speed and feed.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Mtndew.

With TSC I'd be running right around the 160 SFM range, about .006 IPR.

Without the TSC I'd back it off to around 80 or 90 SFM and drop it closer to the .005 IPR range.

No peck.

I'd be running somewhere around 150SFM with a .005"-.006"/rev. Probably pecking every 1xd so as not to work harden the material.

The thru the spindle coolant pump went out on one of the mills and it looks like I'm going to have to wait 4 weeks for it to come in. I have a bunch of 304 SS parts between .750-1.06 inches thick to drill .344 and .266 holes into. I'll be using Walter carbide drills, but am not going to have the thru the spindle coolant. Would there be any input on what I should change on the parameters? Peck--how much? Slow feed down or not?

Walter have a tool info app on their website. It’s called GPS I think. Put in your tool p/n if you have it then fill in the rest of the parameters for material, coolant etc and it will spit out Walters suggested speeds and feeds for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear,
By my opinion you need no coolant, you need removing chips by coolant water. Don´t chase cutting parameters, change basic philosophy. You must (if is possible) cutting down - up and cleaning chips by brush. Regards. Libor

Dear,
By my opinion you need no coolant, you need removing chips by coolant water. Don´t chase cutting parameters, change basic philosophy. You must (if is possible) cutting down - up and cleaning chips by brush. Regards. Libor

huh, what, no do not clean the chips with a brush...

.266 dia .004 ipr
.344 dia .005 ipr
both drills should last all day with 110 sfpm

use flood coolant
first peck after 1 X diameter
every peck after that every .5 X diameter.
So for a .266 diameter first peck at .27 deep.
Then all other pecks every .14 inches.
If it runds good increase sfpm gradually and makes pecks less often as long as you dont see any load spikes.

Dear,

Are you related to Tom?

Back