What's new
What's new

Question on Fanuc Robodrill pallet changers

pMetal

Aluminum
I am considering purchasing a used Fanuc Robodrill with a pallet changer, and have some questions about how the pallet changers work.

My plan would be to have twin setups on both pallets, so that the operator can unload/load new parts on the outside pallet while the machine is machining the other pallet - thus minimizing spindle-off time. I am assuming that this is one of the ways that the machine can be utilized.

However, I didn't see a "ready" button on the pallet changer control panel... So how do you let the machine know that the outside pallet has been prepped and is good to go once it finishes the pallet it is working on? Does the operator have to wait for the inside pallet to be finished and then press a button to tell it to change pallets (requiring that the operator is standing there at the right time)? Or will it go ahead and take that outside pallet when it finishes its current pallet (so long as the door is closed) whether or not the operator has unloaded/loaded a new part?

Another use case would be to have different setups on the two pallets, but still utilizing both pallets in the same program. This would be done mainly when I can't fit enough vises on just 1 pallet for a single program.

How do you call up a particular pallet in your code? Is it simply that certain work offsets are on specific pallets and you simply call the appropriate offset and it loads up the correct pallet?

We bought 3 robodrills and have yet to figure how the pallet changers work ourselves. We’re not sure if mechanical issues exist or not but as far as I’m aware m65 through m67 are the commands but whether a certain condition must be met first or not is beyond us. Command goes to change position and then states press setup when ready. We press setup and nothing happens. I can only imagine it’s either mechanical or not prepared correct. Far as we were aware an operator had to be present to finalize the change since the machine can’t know if your second pallet has been setup already. To clarify door must be closed and key in auto mode. Did you ever buy one?

Uguessedit,

What model of Robodrill and pallet changer do you have?

When you command a pallet change via M65 does the green initial position LED on the pallet changer control panel come on?

Are you able to cycle the pallet changer manually?

I have a T21iFL Rbodrill with a Kawata pallet changer. The instructions state for A-B, A-A, and B-B pallet changing, the operator changes out/loads parts on the pallet to be machined, closes the doors then presses the corresponding "A setup" or "B setup" button.
I haven't gotten into the programming side of pallet changing yet, just digging into that part of the manual.

Back