What's new
What's new

Questions about Chevalier 2040VMC-L and Anilam 6400m

welderboyjk

Cast Iron
Since I don't know I'm asking those who do.
Been doing some net searching about the Anilam 6400 control. Google doesn't come up with much besides some machines that do have it.

Is Anilam basically an orphan now or is there still some support out there? From what I find Heidenhain acquired them and dropped the Anilam controls.

Are Chevalier VMC's any good? Are the linear models ok? Since Chevalier is still around I would assume parts/service are still available. Is that correct?

Any tips or advice on either would be appreciated, thanks.

I have that mill with a Fanuc control, so I can't offer any insight on the Anilam.

I've bought parts from Chevalier- some button frames for the control and a replacement work light for the enclosure. The parts came from Taiwan, took about 8 weeks to get but they were very reasonably priced. The button frames were $1.80 ea. and the 24" LED work light with mounts was a tad over $200.

Chevalier has been responsive on all my requests, and emailed me detailed, step-by-step instructions to set the tool change position after moving the machine. They answer the phone when I call, and I haven't have to leave a number and wait for a call back.

I really like the machine, but I have only owned it for about 8 months so I don't have a long history with it. It hasn't thrown any alarms, and the tool changer has been flawless. It's well equipped for a machine of that class, with 3 separate coolant pumps, dual augers and a chip conveyor. Also an air blast and a dual-contact spindle. 2 large work lights makes for a bright interior which is easy on my old eyes.

I haven't even cracked the manuals. I set it on the floor, leveled it up, double-checked the tool change position, and started loading programs. It has not given me any surprises.

I use it for machining AL extrusions, so I haven't done any heavy cutting on steel or hard to machine materials and I can't evaluate it for that kind of use. For my purpose, I am very happy with it.

Jan, the one I found appears to be of about y2k vintage.
I'm guessing yours is a tad newer?
Yeah, mine is a 2008. Don't know what all changed between 2000 and 2008.

I wouldn't buy one without a Fanuc control, but I'm a Fanuc guy, so YMMV.

edit to add: If you get the serial number, you can call Chevalier and get the repair history. They can probably answer any questions about the control that you might have.

Since I don't know I'm asking those who do.
Been doing some net searching about the Anilam 6400 control. Google doesn't come up with much besides some machines that do have it.

Is Anilam basically an orphan now or is there still some support out there? From what I find Heidenhain acquired them and dropped the Anilam controls.

Are Chevalier VMC's any good? Are the linear models ok? Since Chevalier is still around I would assume parts/service are still available. Is that correct?

Any tips or advice on either would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi,

Is there any follow-up on the Chevy w/ the Anilam?

I’ve signed up to the forum for this discussion. I’ve actually ran a Chevalier with a 6400m for about a year while I was passing through a shop. It was a decent machine and the controller (while different) did everything I needed it to do. It handled canned cycles, including rigid peck tapping.

I currently own a machine with a 3300mk controller.

Back