What's new
What's new

Questions about home garage CNC mill selection

waxworks

Plastic
Hi, I am considering a couple different mills to throw in my garage. Your expertise/advice is appreciated.

Currently considering:

Fanuc Robodrill A-T10C (or similar model)

Haas Mini Mill (or similar model)

Important factors:

Only single-phase power available. The Mini Mills I'm looking at are spec'd for single- or three-phase, the Robodrill can only run on three-phase. That means I must add the cost of a phase converter if I want to run the Robodrill.

The Robodrill is smaller and I have a 98" ceiling in the garage. If I go with the Robodrill, I likely will not need to cut a hole in the ceiling for the cable track's travel, as I would with the Mini Mill. I still need to confirm this, though. Can anyone help?

Overall, the Robodrill is a faster and better machine, but to stay in budget, I would need to get a much older one (like 2000-ish). I could likely find a Mini Mill as new as 2008 for the same money. This also depends on how much I had to spend on a phase converter for the Robodrill.

If you have experience with either machine in your garage, or a different one that I should consider, I would love to hear details about how you are powering it, how the install went, how high it goes when homing Z, etc.

Thank you for your input!

Back