What's new
What's new

Questions on a simple cut

MRudisill

Plastic
So I am newer to the field, sorry if this is a stupid question.

In short, I want to have a piece overhanging the side of the vise so I can round the side of the piece. Basically, take a rectangular (4.25 x 6.25) piece of 3/16" aluminum and have a large section (3-4 inches) stick out the side of the vise to cut. Looking to just trim the corners into a nice big radius. I am not sure if this is feasible or if it will just cause insane chatter.

Machine is a week old Haas Super Mini Mill, have a nice 3600 Kurt Vise.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, hanging that far out with 3/16" plate will sound like an elephant stuck in a foghorn......:eek:

But, if you want a 1/2" radius you should be okay if you stick it out an inch or so and take a light cut. :D

Layout the shape with Dykem and a scribe, saw the shape on a bandsaw to within 1/8" and then mill the shape to size hanging out of the vise.

a picture or sketch of what you want would be helpful, but I think I have an idea of what you want. I would start with a piece of round stock of the appropriate diameter and cut a 90 degree relief in it to fit over the vise jaw.
Sorry if got the hole thing wrong, but that is what I would do.

jacks and toe clamps on the corners

long toe clamp and jack from the far side keep it from pulling out the vise

or a piece of wood and a downcut onsrud no vise just toeclamps

take care not to skew the movable jaw by squeezing something at one side of the jaws, else you're going to look for your work piece somewhere inside the mill enclosure

one way would be to have 2 work pieces opposite of each other in the vice, so the movable jaw has full bearing, and use something like a soft aluminum tig rod piece (sacrificial for each tightening) between the work pieces and movable jaw (to compensate for any size differences of the 2 work pieces), but this is very questionable work holding

would be better to skip the vice and use sacrificial piece on the table, work piece on top of that and toe clamps to hold the work piece down, alternatively this sacrificial piece can be held in the vice and screw clamps used to hold the work piece

If it's one-off, use a belt sander with care.
Yes. But I said WITH CARE!! :rolleyes5:

If it's production, get them laser cut.

p.s. if you do decide to hold a single piece that that shape so far out of the jaws, take a video of the machining, if things do not go as planned, YT clip of the mishap might pay for a new end mill, maybe... :D

p.s. if you do decide to hold a single piece that that shape so far out of the jaws, take a video of the machining, if things do not go as planned, YT clip of the mishap might pay for a new end mill, maybe... :D

There are youtube channels that have entire videos that are a compilation of crashes they are responsible for. In this day and age people have learned to embrace when they suck at something :crazy:

Back