What's new
What's new

Questions for Troubleshooting Fanuc H206 Servo Amp

Jrill

Aluminum
I'm troubleshooting the X axis on our 2001 Hardinge Fanuc 0-MD. A few years ago we had to replace the XY servo amp, and this seems like a repeat of that.

Question- Can I somehow swap the X and Y axes on the servo amp to see if the error switches axes? (only planning to use the handwheel)

If so, how would I do that? I would guess swapping the UM/VM/WM and the UL/VL/WL would be part of the process but there are others connecting the amp to the spindle and z axis amp and I'm not sure about those.

Without digging into the books I'd say to swap both the loose wires you've already mentioned coming out of the bottom of the drive (power leads) and also the one or two multi-pin connectors (depending on your configuration) that are coming out of the face of the drive. There are some daisy chained series/parallel connections going from unit to unit across the whole kit and kabootle, Those I'm pretty sure you can leave as is.

Without digging into the books I'd say to swap both the loose wires you've already mentioned coming out of the bottom of the drive (power leads) and also the one or two multi-pin connectors (depending on your configuration) that are coming out of the face of the drive. There are some daisy chained series/parallel connections going from unit to unit across the whole kit and kabootle, Those I'm pretty sure you can leave as is.

Thanks! This is just what I was looking for

I guess it could be an issue if both output channels weren't the same amp rating, or if a secondary feedback went directly to the control, but otherwise might work.

I have swapped amps around a lot over the years, but I don't think that I have ever swapped the channels before.
???

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!~
Ox

I believe an H206 is a two channel amp of equal capacities.

Not sure on an OMD, but an OMC is connected in one of two ways.

Incremental machine will have the encoder going first to the CNC, then another cable going from CNC to Amp.

An absolute machine will have the encoder connected directly to the Servo Amp, and another cable between the CNC and the Servo Amp.

So an Incremental setup will have one multi-pin connection at the amp. (From CNC) Absolute will have two. (From Encoder/From/To CNC)

I guess this post describes what I meant earlier when saying (depends on configuration)

Hope it helps more then hinders.

Ha... don't bet the farm on this information. Going completely from memory. Which is older, grayer and waning. :-)

I believe an H206 is a two channel amp of equal capacities.

Not sure on an OMD, but an OMC is connected in one of two ways.

Incremental machine will have the encoder going first to the CNC, then another cable going from CNC to Amp.

An absolute machine will have the encoder connected directly to the Servo Amp, and another cable between the CNC and the Servo Amp.

So an Incremental setup will have one multi-pin connection at the amp. (From CNC) Absolute will have two. (From Encoder/From/To CNC)

I guess this post describes what I meant earlier when saying (depends on configuration)

Hope it helps more then hinders.

Ha... don't bet the farm on this information. Going completely from memory. Which is older, grayer and waning. :-)

You're absolutely right - the H206 has two channels of equal capacities.

So for posterity and because I don't want to be the guy who gets help and never follows up with the result...

The problem I was having was excess error on the X axis (in both directions; I think it's alarm 410 and 411).

Turns out we had that exact servo amp in a box, refurbished, so I just replaced it with the refurbished one and it's worked fine since then.

Back