What's new
What's new

QUICK annodizing for prototype shops

sirAIG

Aluminum
I'm curious who uses what annodizing vendors. I've worked with a few and recently the one I had been using has been dropping the ball on the quality end.

I generally need to have anywhere from 1 part to 100 "small" parts (think parts that fit in your palm) with the occasional larger pieces.

I get most of my business from having quick turn times and parts that are right the first time. waiting 2-4 weeks to get parts with drips/runs, dye leaking from the parts, boogered up holes/threads, etc, small dings, etc. is just unacceptable.

Who do you small guys use?

I use a local shop my turn around is typically 3 days but it can be up to a week. There are many types of anodize so that may very your times as well all my parts get clear type ll class 1 anodize. I am in the Pacific NorthWest so I am not sure that does you any good because when you add shipping both ways that will add to your times for a quick turnaround.

Turnkey in Houston is good. Sub week turnaround when I have used them. I imagine you can find something closer though.

What has the world come to? When I was Dualkit in So Cal I used to get a lot of parts anodized. Danco in Ontario, Ca turned my parts around in a day most of the time, no extra charge. Now as a job shop in Central Va I no bid anything that needs plating. The only local plater here charges an arm and a leg, almost 4x what Danco charged 10 years ago.

What has the world come to? When I was Dualkit in So Cal I used to get a lot of parts anodized. Danco in Ontario, Ca turned my parts around in a day most of the time, no extra charge. Now as a job shop in Central Va I no bid anything that needs plating. The only local plater here charges an arm and a leg, almost 4x what Danco charged 10 years ago.

I've been using Danco in Santa Ana, they average 4-5 business days. I can get parts in a day if I pay a hefty expedite.

I used to use Precision Anodizing in Anaheim, I used to get parts back in 1-2 days without expedite, now it's 4-5 business days, but I don't use them anymore after some quality issues.

APA in the Portland metro area will do 24 hour turnaround. The expedite fee usually costs more than the job, but it is still a good value when we are in a hurry.

I don't know much about anodizing, but have often considered starting a shop that does same-day turnaround. There are some manufacturers around here (myself included) that would happily pay an outrageous fee if we could get parts back in a few hours.

Quick Turn Anodizing in Indiana. Generally less than 24 hours. Often times they ship out the same day as it was delivered. Same lot charge on small quantities as my local volume guy.

Sort of afraid to answer this thread in case I am using the same anodizer as the op. I use K&L Plating in Lancaster, PA.

Bill

My dad is the one who had sourced all prior anno suppliers. The place we have been using is out of state. Has K&L been good to you? What are there standard turn times like? Expedite?

My dad is the one who had sourced all prior anno suppliers. The place we have been using is out of state. Has K&L been good to you? What are there standard turn times like? Expedite?

I have not needed to have orders expedited, so you will have to check with them. I have used them twice and have been happy with the results. The end user for my items is a cancer research lab. They have been happy also. I plan to continue using them. I started using them last year when my previous anodizer (M&Z in Dallastown, PA) fouled up an order and they would not return my calls.

My orders are always small, less than 50 pcs., of parts that are no larger than 2" x 4" x 6".

I had a customer that took care of the anodizing. They used Alexandria Metal Finishers in Lorton, VA. Their work was DoD. No trouble with them (it has been several years though).

Bill

I'm curious who uses what annodizing vendors. I've worked with a few and recently the one I had been using has been dropping the ball on the quality end.

I generally need to have anywhere from 1 part to 100 "small" parts (think parts that fit in your palm) with the occasional larger pieces.

I get most of my business from having quick turn times and parts that are right the first time. waiting 2-4 weeks to get parts with drips/runs, dye leaking from the parts, boogered up holes/threads, etc, small dings, etc. is just unacceptable.

Who do you small guys use?

Where in PA are you? That sounds like 2 shops in the York area that I've tried. I now use K&L in Lancaster with good luck(I hope this doesn't jinx that). I've heard very good things about Hillock in The Phila. area, I have one customer that ships large parts from Alabama to Hillock.

Where in PA are you? That sounds like 2 shops in the York area that I've tried. I now use K&L in Lancaster with good luck(I hope this doesn't jinx that). I've heard very good things about Hillock in The Phila. area, I have one customer that ships large parts from Alabama to Hillock.

I gave up on Hillock. They are sloppy (runs, void in pockets, marks from racking, etc, etc) and unless it is black the color is sub par. Also they don't bright dip which I mostly do on all my parts.

I have posted so many times on anodizing that I think you guys just want to pitch a bitch. Maybe 3 calls for work off this forum, we did get some test parts from a forum member in this mornings UPS, they were shipped in the afternoon UPS. If you really want to get your stuff done right and turned around on time PM me or call six one 4 37 four 8342 Tim. We set up an anodizing company years ago because the local co. burned down and the other one did a piss poor job. We ship all over, one of our biggest customers ships thousands of parts from Nebraska!

I have posted so many times on anodizing that I think you guys just want to pitch a bitch. Maybe 3 calls for work off this forum, we did get some test parts from a forum member in this mornings UPS, they were shipped in the afternoon UPS. If you really want to get your stuff done right and turned around on time PM me or call six one 4 37 four 8342 Tim. We set up an anodizing company years ago because the local co. burned down and the other one did a piss poor job. We ship all over, one of our biggest customers ships thousands of parts from Nebraska!

Hi Moonlight. We do not send out much anodize, but what types of anodize do you do?

Type I, Class 1
Type I, Class 2
Type II, Class 1
Type II, Class 2
Type III, Class 1
Type III, Class 2
PTFE impregnated

Hi Moonlight. We do not send out much anodize, but what types of anodize do you do?

Type I, Class 1
Type I, Class 2
Type II, Class 1
Type II, Class 2
Type III, Class 1
Type III, Class 2
PTFE impregnated

Type II, Class 1 and 2 red, blue, black, green Any color available
Type III, Class 1 and 2 normally only black
We have done PTFE but there is little demand so it is not in stock.
Call Tim, ph number in my post. He does the work, you are not talking to an office know nothing.

moonlight machine;3566201[B said:
]I have posted so many times on anodizing that I think you guys just want to pitch a bitch. Maybe 3 calls for work off this forum,[/B] we did get some test parts from a forum member in this mornings UPS, they were shipped in the afternoon UPS. If you really want to get your stuff done right and turned around on time PM me or call six one 4 37 four 8342 Tim. We set up an anodizing company years ago because the local co. burned down and the other one did a piss poor job. We ship all over, one of our biggest customers ships thousands of parts from Nebraska!

Great sales pitch...maybe that's why you aren't getting calls?

Back