What's new
What's new

Quikrete Filled Extrusion Frame

aphocks

Plastic
I am designing a small (5x10x8 inch cutting space) CNC mill and I have a limited budget. I am deigning the machine to be as upgradable over time time as possible. Therefore I am investing the most money into the most basic foundational parts first, so that more money can be spent on upgrading the successive levels as time goes on. This means I hopefully will have to do less work as I spend more money over the years because I start with the most expensive and difficult to change bits.
With that said I have designed a skeleton frame of 80/20-like extruded aluminum. Then I intend to fill the interstitial space with concrete which will weigh down and stabilize the frame. This framing only needs to serve as mounting points and as an initial skeleton for the concrete. I have seen builders fill large size extrusions (like 80x80mm) with concrete, sand, epoxy granite, ect. but I have never seen someone fill a cavity constructed of the extrusions which seems like a cheaper (less expensive extrusion needed) and a much stronger method. What are your thoughts, and what are some downsides and/or issue you see with this?

In the images the grey is extrusions, blue is concrete. There are cavities molded into the concrete so I don't need an absurd amount and so that it will cure better, and so that it doesn't weigh a billion pounds. This was just a proof of size sketch and I intend to move to a more professional CAD software for the final design later.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Some or most concrete shrinks when it dries, that is why it cracks. Some also does not shrink and some expands a little. Something to think about before you pour in some quickrete bags to find out it has pulled away from the skin inside....

Pictured are 16mm ball screws and 12mm linear rail. Those are part of the incremental upgrades, I needed to start somewhere and these were the best compromise at the beginning which would allow me to cut aluminum parts to replace other components on the mill. The layout is configured so that they will be replaced as more funds become available over time. It's a "save for a while then buy one part here and there" situation for me but I am determined to put in the work.

Some or most concrete shrinks when it dries, that is why it cracks. Some also does not shrink and some expands a little. Something to think about before you pour in some quickrete bags to find out it has pulled away from the skin inside....

Okay good to know, I'll have to see what can be done about this.

Can you elaborate on why it's nonsense? If you have a specific critique I would like to hear it, that's why I am here.

Because you absolutely cannot build a machine to cut metal for cheaper than you can buy a machine to cut metal.

What you save in money, you spend in time. Everyone's time has a value in $/hr.

I'm not going to dog on you, but FYI this forum is meant for professionals who cut metal on industrial machines every day. Hobby grade machines are specifically banned from discussion here (It's in the "Machine Guidelines" sticky at the top of the forum)... So if your thread gets locked by the admin, that is why. You're welcome to hang out and ask questions, but hobby type questions will usually get locked fairly quickly.

Because you absolutely cannot build a machine to cut metal for cheaper than you can buy a machine to cut metal.

What you save in money, you spend in time. Everyone's time has a value in $/hr.

I'm not going to dog on you, but FYI this forum is meant for professionals who cut metal on industrial machines every day. Hobby grade machines are specifically banned from discussion here (It's in the "Machine Guidelines" sticky at the top of the forum)... So if your thread gets locked by the admin, that is why. You're welcome to hang out and ask questions, but hobby type questions will usually get locked fairly quickly.

Understood, thank you for explaining. I'll move to more appropriate forums.

Don't leave. Hang out and ask questions, learn tons (I have), just don't mention hobby grade machines.

-"Don't leave"? This board- its members- does everything in its power to drive away new or inexperienced machinists. This very thread is just one more example.

"The zone" is so hated we're not even allowed to type the name here, and yet I've seen hundreds of new/inexperienced machinists told, in no uncertain terms, they're not welcome here, and driven there.

"Don't leave"? Please.

Doc.

Is that not the ultimate example of what a wet dream this is. Spend all that time effort and money. To have a complete shite lathe.

But it is on you tube so others can copy and make more shite machines. Got to give the kid some credit though he definitely made due with what he had, although the amount of cutoff blades he went through, could have bought a hf saw and drill press.

When I find it I don’t need it
When I need it I can’t find it!

Back