What's new
What's new

Quill Length Macro?

Last1Der

Plastic
Anyone have a Quill Length Macro they'd like to share? The machine its for is a 31i-b5 control system, horizontal mill.

Thanks!

What exactly would you like this quill length macro to do?

What arguments do you expect to pass, and what calculations do you expect it to make/return?

Given the information you've given us, here's a macro that should fulfill all your requirements:

WHILE[STUFF NE DONE]DO1
N1
STUFF = DONE
END1

Typically a quill length macro offsets Z in the positive direction when W is positioned negative and vice-versa. I don't have an example, but we used them on the HBMs where I retired from. The machines we had were configured as Z for table motion and W for the quill. I have seen machines set up the opposite too.

What exactly would you like this quill length macro to do?

What arguments do you expect to pass, and what calculations do you expect it to make/return?

Given the information you've given us, here's a macro that should fulfill all your requirements:

WHILE[STUFF NE DONE]DO1
N1
STUFF = DONE
END1

Lol I'd like it to take into consideration the active work offset Z value, the B axis rotary position, and the tool length offset and stick the quill out the appropriate amount. Then I suppose I'd need to tell how deep I am drilling/feeding in Z. Will this become too convoluted? Basically I'm trying to find a solution. One of my operators keeps overtravelling mid M29 cycle. Suggestions?

Anyone have a solution idea to share? Thanks

Hello Last1Der,
Determine the the axis number of the W axis (Quill), reported it back here to the Forum and I'll Post an example Macro Program that will do what you require.

To determine the axis number proceed as follows:

Move the Quill away from its Reference Return position a nominal amount and record the value (Machine Coordinate System value). Make sure its a value that's different to the current Machine Position of all other axes.

Register the following Macro and execute:

#1=0
WHILE [#1 LT 8]DO1
#1=#1+1
#2=#[5020 + #1]
M00
(OBSERVE THE VALUE OF VARIABLES #1 and #2)
(PRESS CYCLE START FOR NEXT OBSERVATION)
END1
M30

When you observe the value of variables #1 and #2, on the occasion where the value of #2 equals the value previously recorded for the W Axis, the value recorded in the registry for #1 will be the axis number.

Regards,

Bill

Hello Last1Der,
Determine the the axis number of the W axis (Quill), reported it back here to the Forum and I'll Post an example Macro Program that will do what you require.

To determine the axis number proceed as follows:

Move the Quill away from its Reference Return position a nominal amount and record the value (Machine Coordinate System value). Make sure its a value that's different to the current Machine Position of all other axes.

Register the following Macro and execute:

#1=0
WHILE [#1 LT 8]DO1
#1=#1+1
#2=#[5020 + #1]
M00
(OBSERVE THE VALUE OF VARIABLES #1 and #2)
(PRESS CYCLE START FOR NEXT OBSERVATION)
END1
M30

When you observe the value of variables #1 and #2, on the occasion where the value of #2 equals the value previously recorded for the W Axis, the value recorded in the registry for #1 will be the axis number.

Regards,

Bill

Hello Bill,

What is Last1Der asking to have done? I'm asking you because he explained it already and I'm not sure what it is, and it sounds like you know what he is looking for. He wants to stick the quill out the "appropriate amount" ... hmmm, the "appropriate amount" could be of some value to me, so I'm curious.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Paul

Hello Bill,

What is Last1Der asking to have done? I'm asking you because he explained it already and I'm not sure what it is, and it sounds like you know what he is looking for. He wants to stick the quill out the "appropriate amount" ... hmmm, the "appropriate amount" could be of some value to me, so I'm curious.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Paul

Hello Paul,
That was going to be the next step in the dance; finding out what he actually wanted to do. He stated that he wanted to take the active offset into account, therefore, I was going to at least get him to there and then progress from that point. However, the OP only has 4 Post, all in this Thread and then nothing; it appears he has lost interest.

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer them if I can.

Regards,

Bill

Back