What's new
What's new

Real weight of Haas EC-400 ?

D.D.Machine

Stainless
I am trying to get a "real" weight on a Haas EC-400, I have been looking at the 2008 to around 2016 models .. factory has it around 16K but some of there info has it at 20K and other places has it as low as 13.8 K

The largest local forklift is about 16K and its like 5 grand to bring in a 24k lift.

I am trying to get a "real" weight on a Haas EC-400, I have been looking at the 2008 to around 2016 models .. factory has it around 16K but some of there info has it at 20K and other places has it as low as 13.8 K

The largest local forklift is about 16K and its like 5 grand to bring in a 24k lift.
5k for a forklift rental? Jesus....

Best thing I've learned I've the years is call your local scum sucking hfo and make them work..give them the serial of the machine and ask for the weight. Easier than asking on the forums and whatnot.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

So you are hoping that it is at the low end of your range so you can use the 16k forklift? Unless everything is perfect like distance to load center and terrain this would still be risky. I know that wasn’t your question

My local HFO has a great service guy but I think all he can get is factory weights,, and one would think Haas could get there numbers correct but they "can`t" my VF2 mills they were calling like 8,300 lbs and there about 7k and the vf4 they called 16,800 and its like 14k MAX …

I know a lot of times the trucking company's scale there loads and I get paperwork showing what there load was.

I think you are going to need something like a versalift for this size machine something with some moveable counterweight. Like stated above you can't just go off of weight with a large wide load. As you move further from the mast of the forklift the amplifying effect of center of gravity. Everyone adds safety factor in these days so guys don't crunch it too close if I was unloading it....we have a 20k forklift I'd make sure I had some safety factor in at that large of a load its a little different than unloading a VF-2 where it is very easy to have the forks clearly through and beyond the machine. Used to do a lot more rigging but my 2 cents on this large of a machine and the costs involved I'd be prepared to get that bigger forklift on site or ask around see if there are any smaller outfits with a big bastard of a forklift sitting around. We've got a 20k forklift on site to handle just about anything ourselves for this reason....

I think you are going to need something like a versalift for this size machine something with some moveable counterweight.

Dude, that is a baby. If a rigger brought a Versa-lift to move that I would question their sense. My smallest mill is 14k lbs and it's a breeze to move around. You get into the 40K lb range and that is versalift range, but it all depends. Many large machines are better with a crane due to center of mass and load concentrations on the front tires of a Versalift. 20k lbs is not a large machine.

Pape in Portland has an HD360-48 Hyster with offroad tires I have rented a couple times. I think it's about $300 a day plus $750 drop off/pickup because it's hauled on a special trailer. That thing will lift 20K on the tippy tips of 96" forks and lift it up 20 feet if you want. However, the mast is 16' tall so you won't be driving it in, nor would you want that on any concrete you want to keep whole.

What does Checkmate want to set it? Dennis has always been super cool with me. I love that guy.

Come to think of it I have rented a 30K Hyster from a Seattle/Tacoma area Pape in the past and it was around $750 total delivered and picked up from Auburn area.

I think cranes are overlooked alot, BUT even small ones have way more capacity, very cheap to rent crane and operator, and readily available at really good rates in any area that has construction around. Plus they drive in and drive out. I believe all machines are built with rigging provisions although maybe not as straight forward. At least it’s an option

I have used checkmate in the past a couple times and he is super to deal with ,, but I think its to big for his lift and machine on one trailer so it would be double the price to get him to do it ,,, I have moved the vf4 twice and moved in a Doosan DNM5700 that was close to 20k, so moving its not a big deal , its just getting a lift here that is large enough that is the problem .

Cranes are sometimes nice and in some cases the only really safe method of handling the unload off a truck. Turret punches and press brakes are two machine types that are absolutely best to have crane rigged for safe unloading. Even skating a press brake to location will cause most riggers some amount of pucker.

I don't think I have ever seen a case where a crane was faster than a lift truck though. Most all machine tools need some way covers or access plates removed to access lift eye holes. Other machines might need a rigging bar through bed casting holes. An proper rigging bar for the specific machine is not likely something the crane operator has though many will cable sling a plain bar with no end flanges. Not proper, but done pretty regularly. A crane is really only good for unloading from a truck then setting down for skating or other method of moving to location. Often a lift truck can do both jobs.

We just had a Daewoo VMC pulled out of our shop. Someone told the riggers it was 10-11k so the brought a 15k lift. Turns out the machine was 16k. They called in for extra counterweight and moved it no problem. Worked at a shop with an EC400 and EC500 and I don’t think they brought a Versa-lift to deliver or move them.

I have used checkmate in the past a couple times and he is super to deal with ,, but I think its to big for his lift and machine on one trailer so it would be double the price to get him to do it ,,, I have moved the vf4 twice and moved in a Doosan DNM5700 that was close to 20k, so moving its not a big deal , its just getting a lift here that is large enough that is the problem .

Checkmate has a tractor with a curtainside trailer and second trailer for hauling the forklift. He's loaded and hauled an 18K VMC for me with fork and machine one load.

If overhead lift is an option, even 20k isn't an issue for a heavy wrecker to pick and carry. Downside is they're not great in close quarters and OH lift does demand extra headroom.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Dude, that is a baby. If a rigger brought a Versa-lift to move that I would question their sense.

you've never seen a small versalift before? we used small ones to move 15-20k all the time. I brought it up cause they have a small footprint to get into small spaces aka most of us small shops. any large forklift can unload a machine its a lot harder to make it into the shop and place the machine. I was just thinking ahead and making some assumptions i'd rather pull a machine in with a forklift to final destination than screwing around with skates if I can avoid it.

best bet would be talk to the riggers and see who's moved in an EC400 in the past there are a few of them here in the WI area I know of but not a ton.

Horizontals can be a bit tricky with the weight balance. Riggers make it look so easy.

I get anxiety just thinking about moving one of these myself.

I have moved a LOT of machines over the years and just go slow and think before EVERY move I make ,,, The only time I have ever really puckered up was getting the DNM7500 down off the truck ,, I had a 20K forklift and was told the machine was only 18K and when I went to pick it the steer tires went off the ground ,, I had to slide it to the edge of the truck then tilt the load all the way back so I could get the steer tires back on the ground ,, had the truck pull out and when I went to lower the load It picked the steer tires back up. tired out Doosan left about 18" of clear space between the back of the tin box and the rear of the machine,, after pulling the box off it lifted it easily.

Back