What's new
What's new

Recomendation for live tool sub spindle lathe

tay2daizzo8

Hot Rolled
Hi all, like the title says looking for a recommendation for a live tool sub spindle lathe. we run a series of parts 1.5" stainless with tapped holes in the face.

I know there's probably 1000 different options to chose from but the only issue is when the cycle ends and the sub drops the finished part, that part cannot be dented in anyway. there are 2 weld preps on the OD that absolutely cant be banged up one bit.. so i guess im also looking for a system to handle these delicately as well. not looking for a robot but rather a safe handling method

I know some machines have a pick off arm for the sub. Nakamura comes to mind.

It still "drops" the part onto a conveyor, but it is a "gentler drop".

SS parts should be fine dropping into the parts catcher and onto the conveyor. Unless there are some thin walls? But yes, any lathe with bar feeder needs a roto rack, or some type of parts conevor. The one that was linked to is what I've seen used before. No issues, pretty straight forward.

You can play around with a few things to get parts to fall out of the sub softly. Like dont use the knock out, just open the sub and spin the chuck, and if the part isn't deep in the jaws, it just falls out. Only drops a few inches.

We have three Nakamuras with parts catchers. The WT-250 has a nice arm that catches the part from the B spindle and drops it on a conveyor which carries it out to a large vat of coolant to land in after sliding down a ramp. Several years ago we made some stainless parts with a 0.010 flange that we handled quite nicely with minimal damage to the part. It does add some cycle time though.

The WT-150s have this annoying contraption that's mounted to the turret and swings around like a 5 gallon bucket. I've nick-named it Shaq. On some of our jobs it only seems to 'hit the basket' around 50% of the time.

We have a custum tool that feeds in the raw parts and colects them finished. Turret also have a special tool to colect the part from the custum tool and to put it back on it after machined. We did it all in house, so, with some locksmith job, you can have it done.

Back