What's new
What's new

Recommend a 1/2" dia endmill for 1018 steel volume job?

Mud

Diamond
We are trying a new approach to a long running part. It's made from 1/2' wide 1018 CRS bar, I need to remove .065 WOC x .220 DOC from 80% of it (up one side down the other) and cut a full width .580 wide slot across it .220 deep on both ends, I want to make one rough pass and one finish pass around the part. Currently we use an Iscar insert EM for this sort of job, I think that's the plan for this because it's going to run for 40 to 60 hours at least and I'd prefer to just change inserts and drive on versus stocking lots of solid carbide end mills.

So what tools are available that you have tried? The Iscar tools we have now are single flute with 1003 inserts, I'm planning to see what's new in grades and coatings if we use one for this. I see they also have a 2 flute tool that uses smaller inserts, I'm wondering how hard you can push the smaller inserts. What other manufacturers have multiple insert tools this small? Would Solid carbide endmills be enough more productive to justify the expense?

This is on a box way 20 hp VMC with 10K RPM if that enters into the recommendation.

4 flute double ended stub mills from YG1 .... I use a lot of them on 1018 and 4340 and over the last 7 years have found them to be the best of the buck made ... on the 1/2" size I would start about 6k RPM and keep cranking the feed to the mill snaps in two then cut it back about 20% ...

The Ailtin coating likes DRY or with just air ... Even MQL seems to chip them .

Bump. Is anyone else here milling mild steel?

I don't get to use large endmills except when I'm on the bridgeport (large for me is 1/8"+), but for solid carbide, high performance endmills that don't break the bank, I'd talk to MAFord and get their recommendation... For like $30 an endmill, they really can't be beat.

Ive had good luck with Garr VRX , and gorilla mill (CGC Tool i think) 1/2 - 1 1/4 loc in everything from 4140 to 1018, but Im not doing enough volume to truly say its better than brand a or b. Typically ran in 10-15 HP 40 taper machines, running dry.

If you already like Iscar, ask them about the "Chatterfree" line of solid carbide end mills. I've used them in 1018 and you can absolutely do everything you want with one.

Not my video, but a good example of what they are capable of.
YouTube

Another similar tool is the Stablizer line from Seco/Niagara cutter. I have not gotten to use these personally, but I'd have no qualms about trying them based on past success with the brand.
YouTube

YouTube

I'd run a 3/8" 5flt HEV-5 from Helical Solutions or a Destiny Tool Raptor DVH for this. Your DOC/WOC is small enough to run a smaller tool with a higher RPM and get after it. 1/2" you can most likely just run one rough and one finish though. May need 2 roughing passes with a 3/8".

Everything we have from Garr and MA Ford has been pretty good too. Really can't go wrong with most modern solid carbide endmills, especially in mild steel.

If you already like Iscar, ask them about the "Chatterfree" line of solid carbide end mills. I've used them in 1018 and you can absolutely do everything you want with one.

Not my video, but a good example of what they are capable of.
YouTube

Another similar tool is the Stablizer line from Seco/Niagara cutter. I have not gotten to use these personally, but I'd have no qualms about trying them based on past success with the brand.
YouTube

YouTube

The Iscar Chatterfree kicks butt... it really does. Used loads of 10mm for a specific job, then they got pricey so moved over to Widia since Hanita joined with them. I use the Varimill and bang for buck it out performs the chatterfree.

If you are stuck on indexables then are you speaking about the HM390's? I have been using a 20mm as my go to tool for a few years and the T290 used to be my go to for 14mm. I blew my T290 up and got their new HM390 14mm with the smaller inserts. It works just as well as the T290 but with the added insert corner. Definitely not for heavy machining but it works.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'll try a few of these solid tools, looks like I'll have time to experiment if I don't break them. What kind of tool life are you seeing in 1018 - How many do I need to have on hand?
If you are stuck on indexables then are you speaking about the HM390's?
I'm using the old HM90 for a lot of steel things like this. That HM390 looks interesting but it's only good for about .130 DOC. The HP E90AN looks possible and has 2 flutes but tiny inserts.

Attachments

• Bobw 4340 on a Fadal.jpg
    Bobw 4340 on a Fadal.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 158
I think the speed at which a good solid carbide will remove material vs the single flute inserted would be price justification in and of itself.

I tend to buy whatever good deals I can find on ebay, but my favorite if I am ordering is Guhring. I have run Guhring roughers to the point that I could not remember the life of me when I put it in the machine. Usually I make a mistake with my programming and blow the corners off before it gets worn out. I know I documented one, last shop I worked at, because the boss balked at the price, it was in the machine for 6 months running 1018, 4140, 01, A2.

One thing I am looking forward to documenting with the new brother is the tool life of different cutters. I recently finished a batch of 60 parts that had a 30 min run time. A 1/2"x1/2" bar 4" long of 4140 was whittled down to nearly nothing, primarily with a Guhring 1/4" rougher. I had to change it out about 2/3 the way through, and I know that 1/4" endmill started new when the machine was installed in October. Mind you I am not a production shop... but that endmill had a LOT of hours on it.

I would question the 2 path strategy, if you had more to remove, sure, but single pass for that should be fine on the sides, slots, knock out the middle then by all means a spin around the edges as it were.

I find the double end cutters more expensive over here. Have never grasped why, but they cost more than 2 better single cutters most the time.

Recently my goto out side of cheap Chinese (drill pro, not the freest cutting, but a very long lasting edge and they just go and go) has been the YG1 NC mills, sure there cheap but they have proven nicely chip resistant compared to the K2 ones from YG1 i use to use a lot of. On a little 3mm i went from 2 parts a cutter to around 10 parts and there's a crazy amount of profiling in those bits.

Niagara STR430 2.0 would be my first choice. I've had excellent luck with the stainless variety (STR440) in steels as well.

I'm paying around $60 CAD for a Ø1/2" one.

Niagara STR430 2.0 would be my first choice. I've had excellent luck with the stainless variety (STR440) in steels as well.

I'm paying around $60 CAD for a Ø1/2" one.

This - End Thread...

If you can take a 25% or more width-of-cut, then these endmills will be nearly impossible to beat, when cutting anything under say, 45hrc... Definitely not for the price...

Cutting Slots - .010" PER-TOOTH @ 1xD in 4140 annealed.
YouTube

75% width-of-cut @ 60in/min. 2xD depth.
YouTube

If you buy these endmills and intend to use them like they were meant to be used, you better make sure to put them in a side-lock holder or else you will tear something up... (The Seco toolholders are really nice too BTW...)

And for the record, I no longer work for Seco/Niagara, but I 100% percent stand behind my comment earlier - You will not out-perform these tools for the same, or even nearly the same money...

Back